• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pluto is no longer a planet

slow_jazz

Lunatic Member
forget what you they taught you in high school. pluto is no longer considered a planet. too small......... it's now a dwarf........
 
Register to hide this ad
RIP, Pluto. I suppose the tally of know moons in our Solar System will now drop from 137 to 134 as well, for if Pluto is no longer a planet, I assume it no longer has moons.
 
Thats funny I just read an articule in our local paper last week that said the world Astro. Community was moving towards including three other small planetary bodies. And changing all the school books to include all 12 planets...

Will they ever make up their minds :dunno:
 
KeninDC said:
Pluto is not a dwarf, Dopey, Pluto is Mickey's dog.
A-Yup! :yes:

pluto.jpg
 
Gustav Holtz (1874-1934)

Pluto was discovereed in 1930

And although he did not write about it I'm still not telling him.

But I have been inspired enough to listen to the rest of his planets now.

And yes I understand that he wrote it in 1916.......

thanks though
 
MY anus ?!? They'd better NOT be comin' after MY anus...Let 'em come after Uranus, but leave me & mine alone......<grin> Hmmmm... I thought they were arguing a few years back that they'd found another planet or 2 out beyond the now-defrocked Pluto...Sometimes methinks these boids ain't happy unless they're fussin' 'n' fightin' over somethin'...Remind y'all of any other bunch we all know ?!?
 
I've been following this topic in my Astronomy mag. About 2 or three years ago, some astronomers found some slightly larger then Pluto sized rocks out in the Kuniper Belt, the "bubble" of debris and rock that surrounds our solar system. Two of them were named Xena and Gwen (I think) after, you guessed it, Xena the T.V. show.
Anyway, because these rocks are all about the same size as Pluto, therein started a huge debate as to whether or not these rocks are planets. Some said no because they are out in the Kuniper Belt, others said yes because they were the size of Pluto.
So, that leads to today's decision, which I frankly think, is dumb. Keep Pluto a planet and don't cop out by calling it a "dwarf planet." Keep the solar system at 9.
I think that's my new motto: "Save the Sol 9."
I realize this post may be a bit boring, hell, I feel asleep while typing it, but astronomy is my other hobby and I have been hoping that space exploration in general would be taking off a bit more at this point. But instead, astronomers are still arguing about how many planets there are in this system. Bleah!
 
Anyone told the Plutoans/Plutocrats they're now 2nd-class citizens, seeing as how they ain't from a planet no more, just a junior-grade version...If I were them, I'd be PISSED...We oughta find out WHO was the jughead who decided this, & when they come here to Have A Word W/Us About This, we can toss his ass out to 'em...If they get their pals, the Neptunians in on this, there'll be Hell To Pay...
 
bentpencil said:
Merely a group of scientists trying to justify their existence......................

Well, you know, scientists are the ones who told us about planets.
 
So Pluto is not a planet, its technically a "drawf planet" a new category. So how come I stlll see the word planet in its description?
 
Yeah, well, don't say I didn't warn you when the Neptunians come down here & start kickin' asses & takin' names, 'cause some pointy-headed moron w/a pHd dissed their little buddies, the Plutoans.....
 
Back
Top Bottom