• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Preamplifier for Yamaha B-2 Power Amplifier

plschles

Member
Would like know if anyone has found a good preamplifier to match with their Yamaha B-2 Power Amplifier. Thank you.
 
Register to hide this ad
Would like know if anyone has found a good preamplifier to match with their Yamaha B-2 Power Amplifier.

I get my serviced B2 back from @mattsd next week and will try it with a recently purchased and fairly inexpensive Kenwood C2 preamp (should deliver today). I'll report back in on how the pair sound together once I get them hooked up.....
 
At one point had a B-2 set up. This is what I had wanted and why. Had to have a remote, wanted two pre-outs, wanted to give a slightly modern boast to the physical appearance.
Most of yamaha's pre's of that era were very close in function, bells and whistle's, some tech, bigger / smaller, flavor of the year etc. My only option was the CX-1000.
Plugged it into the B-2 set the gain to 3/4,now the controversial piece I used a woods outdoor remote on the B-2. Tried many times with many people Woods in or out of use, never ever an AC line noise problem. So with all set up I sat it my chair hit a few buttons, was very happy.
Cheers
 
I have a C2a and its a great match!! Also had a more cheap pre Nakamichi CA5a and sound excellent, I only change it because I need the tone controls in the C2a for lower volume.
The Naka IMO have a better phono section!
 
I’m currently using a C 80 with my B-2 , sounds great

Also used a Nikko Beta II with great results

Half the fun is rotating preamps to see/hear which one your ears like the most !

Enjoy your B-2, it is a fabulous amplifier for sure.
 
While it can only control one amp, the CX-1 would give dynamics and super detail with a killer phono section and remote to boot. They also go for a a lot less than a C-2x. I have both and have compared them in multiple configurations. Using the C-2x right now because it can control two amps for the main setup.
 
CX-2 is even cheaper than Cx-1 , has remote capability , and loudness control. I bought one at sound sales man discount 50% of list price. I was told by Yamaha Tech dept to buy Cx-2 instead of Cx-1 as many Cx-1 had cold solder issues . It works so well with my Acurus A-250, Before I bought it I used the pre-amp section of my Yamaha 1020 receiver . Day and night difference when Cx-2 was used, Sound Stage was dramatic with the Cx-2 instead of pre-amp section of Yammy receiver !!
 
CX-2 is even cheaper than Cx-1 , has remote capability , and loudness control. I bought one at sound sales man discount 50% of list price. I was told by Yamaha Tech dept to buy Cx-2 instead of Cx-1 as many Cx-1 had cold solder issues . It works so well with my Acurus A-250, Before I bought it I used the pre-amp section of my Yamaha 1020 receiver . Day and night difference when Cx-2 was used, Sound Stage was dramatic with the Cx-2 instead of pre-amp section of Yammy receiver !!

stop-beating-dead-horses.jpg flogging_dead_horse_what.jpg

Someday you should stop with the "CX-1 cold solder issues" disinformation. You are the only member here that I know of that doesn't appear to have ever owned a CX-1 but insists on claiming that they have problems. None of those of us that own one have had this problem.

Cheers,
James
 
Last edited:
Would like know if anyone has found a good preamplifier to match with their Yamaha B-2 Power Amplifier. Thank you.
The best yamaha pre-amp for VFET power amplifier.. A VFET pre-amp.. the "Holy Grail" Yamaha C-1................
yamaha_c-1_front_panel.jpg
 
On the rare occasion that those things show up here they normally go for more than my monthly salary. But it sure would be nice to hear one just once. Or twice.

Cheers,
James
They are a little on the pricey side..
Prosit :beerchug:
 
I just cleaned up a Technics SU-9070 second version. I tried it with an Adcom amp for testing while I wass working on it and was surprised at how quiet the Phono stages were, both MM and MC.

I plan to use that with my B2 once I get her up and running.

Nashou
 
Back
Top Bottom