• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Record Bin From single 4 x 8 Sheet of Plywood - Plans

There are lots of different types of battery powered light fixtures that would be great mounted on the bottom of the upper deck so us old farts could see the bottom rows mo betterer. These devices have come a long way with the LED and better battery tech., I bet batteries would last a couple years no more than you would turn them on.


Tip # 12
If you have plywood cut at Home Depot watch the guy and make sure he gets it right (accounting for kerf and such).
 
Okay so here is my attempt at this. As I said in the last post I used oak veneer plywood and veneer strips to cover the edges. I also used a Kreg jig for pocket hole screws so that nothing is visible, and their oak plugs to seal up the holes, which you should be able to make out in the 2nd picture. I stained it with 2 coats of red mahogany stain, then applied 3 coats of semi-gloss polyurethane top coat with an HVLP gun. I need to get a real digital camera, these cell phone pics don't quite do it justice...

nHMrxG7.jpg


aSJ7Xws.jpg

I want that 2 PAC rekkid mang.:music::thmbsp:
 
With very little modification you could make a turntable/amp/receiver stand with basically the same cuts. I was thinking about making one with my turntable on top then a shelf for my receiver and records under that.
 
Here mine is finally keep forgetting to put it up. Mine is a little different. My buddy is a door, cabinet make and wood worker. He used 1.5 sheets on each. I need more storage and didn't have the room for 3 right next to each other. I am slowly due to disability getting my vinyl loaded in here. I am cleaning everything and cataloging it on discogs so that is taking some time. Here it is....
33lla8l.jpg


My Pooch is guarding the goods for me. :)
 
I really like the 3 levels on this one Amcrebelfan! Looks like it would hold 600-700 albums and save some floor space from the other 2 level bin. I was going to start on a 2 level bin, but I think I will wait now until the plans come up for this one.
 
I have a question for those of you that have built these.

Have any of you had trouble with the plys splitting when screwing pieces together through an end? My step dad keeps telling me that screwing into the ends of a piece will cause the plys to split apart.

What kinds of wood are you guys using?
 
I have a question for those of you that have built these.

Have any of you had trouble with the plys splitting when screwing pieces together through an end? My step dad keeps telling me that screwing into the ends of a piece will cause the plys to split apart.

"Pilot Hole"
 
I have a question for those of you that have built these.

Have any of you had trouble with the plys splitting when screwing pieces together through an end? My step dad keeps telling me that screwing into the ends of a piece will cause the plys to split apart.

What kinds of wood are you guys using?

"Pilot Hole"

Yepper, Always a good idea to pre drill with a bit that is the same diameter as the screw shaft so the threads are the only thing cutting into the wood.
 
"Pilot Hole"

Yepper, Always a good idea to pre drill with a bit that is the same diameter as the screw shaft so the threads are the only thing cutting into the wood.

Thanks guys. I don't know why my stepdad doesn't want to help me with this. Honestly I think it's because he and my mom think me liking records is a waste of money.

I will tell him and see what happens.
 
Thanks guys. I don't know why my stepdad doesn't want to help me with this. Honestly I think it's because he and my mom think me liking records is a waste of money.

I will tell him and see what happens.

Sometimes you have to pursue your own dreams. Not sure how old you are but I remember my first stereo. I had to save up and buy it myself. My parents were not thrilled. It was nicer than anything they had ever had and a source of aggravation for them as they didn't enjoy Metallica played loud nearly as much as I did.
 
used 3/4" ply with veneer,purchased at the local lumber yard with the build sheet from here and picked it up cut after work-----no extra charge.
put "them" on swivel wheels.
ya 2
thought that would be enough for awhile.......
i luv'em
 
While these are cool as heck, I actually prefer my records spine out like a book, though this thread has me thinking otherwise now. But my main problem is ..."What albums get the prized front spot?" I'd be changing them out every day!
 
Sometimes you have to pursue your own dreams. Not sure how old you are but I remember my first stereo. I had to save up and buy it myself. My parents were not thrilled. It was nicer than anything they had ever had and a source of aggravation for them as they didn't enjoy Metallica played loud nearly as much as I did.

You should have seen the look on my parents face when I bought a race car and it just happened to show up at the house with zero notice. They flipped. It's been over 10 years now and they still won't attend a race.

I'm 29 btw and live in a 300 sq. ft. apartment. I don't have the space or the tools do do the work myself. My step dad has not only everything needed but the space to do it.

While these are cool as heck, I actually prefer my records spine out like a book, though this thread has me thinking otherwise now. But my main problem is ..."What albums get the prized front spot?" I'd be changing them out every day!

Nothing wrong with rotating them. Just make sure you actually get some listening time in instead of just pulling your hair out over which record to face.
 
Thank you for posting these plans.
I used birch panels, danish finish, and I put it together using a pocket hole jig.
 

Attachments

  • RecordCabinet2541.jpg
    RecordCabinet2541.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 693
Back
Top Bottom