• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Record Day special releases

Register to hide this ad
Syd Barrett compilation looks interesting.

Just played Joan Jett this morning so probably don't need a second copy (scratch free though! Hmm!!).

Paul Simon; wife would like that one.

A couple of other interesting ones. I'm working ALL weekend at a show so I hope my local place will take a pre-order or I'll likely miss out.
 
Not my cup of tea, but Finger Prints (mid-sized) record store in Long Beach is presenting the Foo Fighter's on stage for the 1st 200 people that pre-ordered their record on Monday. That's a huge act!
 
The only thing I really want there is the Brown Sugar picture sleeve single. But I'm not sure it's worth fighting the crowd for. Meh, kinda boring overall.
 
A few things I'd like to have.. hhhmm...

Green Day/Husker Du... sounds interesting..

Mastadon / ZZ Top.. even more interesting...
 
For me:

13th Floor Elevators - Wait For My Love
Big Star - Third (Test Pressing Edition)
Foo Fighters - Medium Rare
Pink Floyd - London 66/67
Television - Live At The Old Waldorf (2LP)
The Velvet Underground - Foggy Notion
 
I'm excited about a few of these:
  • Foo Fighters - Medium Rare (billed as all unreleased but "Gas Chamber", for one, was on Rock Against Bush, Vol. 2. Still fun, though!)
  • James Blake - James Blake (have a copy on order but the RSD version has two extra songs!!!)
  • Piebald - Vol. I - III
 
The Beach Boys one got me really excited till I saw that it was 78 RPM.
Why?

Because it is way cool.

If money weren't an issue I would love to have that Flaming Lips box.

I hope to get the Big Star.

I was excited about the Crowded House until I saw it was a CD.
 
Last edited:
It would be cool. But few people can play 78's. Putting 6 minutes of music on a 10' record side at 78 RPM is dumb.
 
I beg to differ on the 78 rpm. Records cut at higher rpm's can achieve higher fidelity. Sort of like the difference between 7.5 ips on reel to reel and 3.75 ips on reel to reel.

Also the 10 inches gives the record cutter more room for the grooves.

If you buy some of the 12 inch 45 rpm singles, you will get a good idea of the sound you can get. That's why the club dj's use 12 inch 45 rpm singles.

I suggest you try an experiment. See if you can find a 12 inch 45 rpm single of a song you like. Then compare that to the album version of the song.

You will hear what I'm talking about.!
 
I already have the Freddy King ~ Butterscotch/Wash Out 45 preordered. If it sounds anything like "Let's Hide Away & Dance Away" that Sundazed already put out I'll be stoked.
 
Anyone know how to figure out where the "regional" ones will show up? I really want the William Whitmore one b/c he does a great country blues rendition (and I don't hate P.O.S. either :))
 
I beg to differ on the 78 rpm. Records cut at higher rpm's can achieve higher fidelity. Sort of like the difference between 7.5 ips on reel to reel and 3.75 ips on reel to reel.

Also the 10 inches gives the record cutter more room for the grooves.

If you buy some of the 12 inch 45 rpm singles, you will get a good idea of the sound you can get. That's why the club dj's use 12 inch 45 rpm singles.

I suggest you try an experiment. See if you can find a 12 inch 45 rpm single of a song you like. Then compare that to the album version of the song.

You will hear what I'm talking about.!

Helps to have a Dual too.
 
I need to start looking over this list and figuring out what I want to try and pick up....any place list prices to go along with these releases or no? Just curious what some stuff (like the Flaming Lips set) will go for....
 
Back
Top Bottom