• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Record Frame Door For Expedit....

Why couldn't one cut a rabbet in a strip and attach it to the face of each shelf and use it as a ledge/shelf with a lip so one could lean the LPs against the uprights? Just pick the facing LP off to access the stored ones and swap about as you see fit??

Not as clean and crisp, but lots cheaper...:yes:
 
If Ikea made/makes these, they'll be VERY expensive to install across an entire expedit. I thought of putting the Ikea plain doors on my 5x5 Expedit... but the cost for just the plain white doors was over $300, approaching $400. That was just for plain white boards with basic hinge and simple handle. They have other doors for Expedits available, too, such as mirror panels, but they're all expensive. The basic Expedit is reasonable, but the bits you can add to it are WAY overpriced!


I had a chance to buy a large lot of aluminum picture frames very much like what's pictured there, but in larger sizes, at scrap-metal value. All I'd have had to do was disassemble them, cut them down to the right size (I have a compound angle saw with aluminum blade to do this) and re-assemble, and I could have had exactly such a set, at a low cash outlay. BUT when I added up the time required to do this --as well as drilling the holes for hinges, etc... I realized that it just wasn't worth doing. Probably easier to start with unassembled raw stock, then re-working existing frames that aren't the correct size. Still a lot of work to make them DIY, though. You need factory-style economies of scale to make these cheap enough, I think.

I ended up simply putting cut-to-fit squares of opaque white plastic in front. They just "stick" there by friction/inertia, without hinges at all. At least they block the view of the records, which in our new and smaller apartment, is unacceptable to my wife. Now the Expedit looks more like a display case; in the 2+ inches in front of the records/white plastic, I put some small knick-knacks (including some photos of my wife, an attempt at a strategic move :D ). It's a little bit harder to access the records, but that's a small price to pay for domestic harmony.




It would look really cool. But if an Expedit is just a litltle bit out of square, it would not be easy to get all of those doors aligned enough to look good, unless one was OK with half-assed adjusted doors. I know when I'm sitting near somebody's kitchen and the doors are not aligned properly it drives me bonkers.

True, but Expedits tend to be very close to perfectly in-square, because of the way they're made. They can be made to lean out-of-square, but only with a fair amount of force, as they begin to break. The doors, of course, if not made right, COULD have this problem within each square (i.e., the small gap around the edges not lined up correctly), but if they're well made, it shouldn't be a problem.
 
I have been thinking.....maybe we could design a mechanism that holds the cover from the top...I was envisioning being able to pull the cover out from above the existing stack.There is about an inch of clearance above that you could utilize to "store" said cover while searching through your shelf.Help me reason this out guys!
 
I like this idea a lot, but I am a cheap-asaurus, so I did mine DIY. Not as classy, and not as convenient, but for about $.20 each, I can live with them.
I used the plastic outside corner molding that goes on the edge of paneling (8' piece for about $1), cut to length, spray painted them black because all they had was brown, and used some scrap particle board I had and hot glued it all together, and set them into the cubes.

IMG_2286Copy.jpg


IMG_2287Copy.jpg


IMG_2290.jpg


Looks pretty good for the $. :thmbsp:
 
True, but Expedits tend to be very close to perfectly in-square, because of the way they're made. They can be made to lean out-of-square, but only with a fair amount of force, as they begin to break. The doors, of course, if not made right, COULD have this problem within each square (i.e., the small gap around the edges not lined up correctly), but if they're well made, it shouldn't be a problem.

Very close to square would still bring about alignment problems on unit with 16 doors. Unless people are OK to live with the doors not being aligned perfectly, I know I couldn't. Which brings up another question; what are the hinges being used? There is a picture showing how the frames go together, but no mention of the hinges, as far as I could tell.
 
Well he got the funding an is beginning the manufacturing process- I'm in line for one door, maybe more if it works well and installs easily
 
IKEA already sells door inserts for their EXPEDIT Line ($35 each), so why would they bother with some other guy's idea that displays records, probably cost a bunch to make and would be at a much higher price point to sell that their current offering, where the market would be a couple of hundred vinyl affictionados who are looking for something inexpensive?
 
Look, they already have the door you want...and it is available for as little as $20 each ($35 for high gloss), plus some old discs or covers, and double sided tape or some moulding to slide covers into.

...or a bit of PhotoShop. :yes:

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • expedit record.jpg
    expedit record.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom