• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Removing Dual 1219 platter clip.

gary7

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
My recently acquired Dual 1219 seems to run fast with the pitch control centered. The manual tells how to set the motor pulley to set the speed. What is the best way to remove the platter clip? :scratch2:
 
Register to hide this ad
Sledgehammer. [recently-added joke on A.K.]

Best thing to do is go to WWW.VinylEngine.com
There, you can download both owner's and svc manual on this and 1229 [same thing], after becomming a member for FREE.
 
My recently acquired Dual 1219 seems to run fast with the pitch control centered. The manual tells how to set the motor pulley to set the speed. What is the best way to remove the platter clip? :scratch2:

Hi Gary,
Why not just use the pitch adjustment feature?
Saves having to pull things apart and risking damaging something.

Great deck - How are you finding it otherwise?

Cheers
Dave
 
Sledgehammer. [recently-added joke on A.K.]

Best thing to do is go to WWW.VinylEngine.com
There, you can download both owner's and svc manual on this and 1229 [same thing], after becomming a member for FREE.

I did, It only mentions using some "special cone" to remove & install it.

Hi Gary,
Why not just use the pitch adjustment feature?
Saves having to pull things apart and risking damaging something.

Great deck - How are you finding it otherwise?

Cheers
Dave

I love it. this deck is near mint. I have had some early models (1019 & such) & all have had problems that made them unplayable. As is, I have to turn the control almost all the way to the - mark. With this deck being so nice, I would like to get it close to spec as possible.
 

Attachments

  • 1219a.jpg
    1219a.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 1219b.jpg
    1219b.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 38
I did, It only mentions using some "special cone" to remove & install it.

Hi Gary,
Why not just use the pitch adjustment feature?
Saves having to pull things apart and risking damaging something.

Great deck - How are you finding it otherwise?

Cheers
Dave

I love it. this deck is near mint. I have had some early models (1019 & such) & all have had problems that made them unplayable. As is, I have to turn the control almost all the way to the - mark. With this deck being so nice, I would like to get it close to spec as possible.

I usually spin the clip until one tip of it hangs over the notch in the shaft. Then I carefully pry it out of there with a dental pick or jewlers screwdriver. Tiny needlenose may be usefull too. Be carefull it will go flying and vaporize into thin air, never to be seen again.
There are better ways I'm sure, but that is my method. I used to have one of those cone thingys, but I sold it.
 
I usually spin the clip until one tip of it hangs over the notch in the shaft. Then I carefully pry it out of there with a dental pick or jewlers screwdriver. Tiny needlenose may be usefull too. Be carefull it will go flying and vaporize into thin air, never to be seen again.
There are better ways I'm sure, but that is my method. I used to have one of those cone thingys, but I sold it.

+1:thmbsp:
 
PM me with your email address for a GREAT rebuild manual for the 1219 and 1229. It was produced by a Ford engineer and has gobs of pix. I can not remember all the members I've sent this to so disregard if you have it already.
 
Which pulley?

I finally got the clip off, and while I was moving the table around I heard something sliding inside it, it is another motor pulley in a small plastic box. According to the manual there is a 50 hz & 60 Hz pulley. One is thicker than the other. How do you determine which is which? Could this be the reason it seems to run too fast? :scratch2:
 
I finally got the clip off, and while I was moving the table around I heard something sliding inside it, it is another motor pulley in a small plastic box. According to the manual there is a 50 hz & 60 Hz pulley. One is thicker than the other. How do you determine which is which? Could this be the reason it seems to run too fast? :scratch2:

Probably not. 50hz is bigger, I think. It would be a lot faster with the wrong one. Just do he procedure, I did mine and it is almost perfectly centered.

Thanks!
MacKat
 
Probably not. 50hz is bigger, I think. It would be a lot faster with the wrong one. Just do he procedure, I did mine and it is almost perfectly centered.

Thanks!
MacKat

Took abit of doing but got the set screw loose, centered the pitch knob & adjusted the pulley. I think I got it pretty close to correct speed. This set the idler wheel a little higher than center of the step as the manual suggests. Can I assume that this might be due to rubber worn down on the idler? Am I right to assume it to be a bit narrower due to wear, the idler center would be closer to the pulley & make it run a little faster than normal? Or, :D am I totally off base!
 
Last edited:
Took abit of doing but got the set screw loose, centered the pitch knob & adjusted the pulley. I think I got it pretty close to correct speed. This set the idler wheel a little higher than center of the step as the manual suggests. Can I assume that this might be due to rubber worn down on the idler? Am I right to assume it to be a bit narrower due to wear, the idler center would be closer to the pulley & make it run a little faster than normal? Or, :D am I totally off base!

The idler wheel circumference has no effect on speed. Not sure why speed would drift over time other than the cone pulley moving or the motor speed changing due to aging lubricants. It seems that if it were to change it would slow down rather than speed up. If you had to move the pulley up, that means it was running slow.
If you have not cleaned and re-lubed the motor bearings, that can be very beneficial.
 
What cartridge and stylus are you using in that picture? Something looks a little off there, like the slylus is jutting out or something.
 
The idler wheel circumference has no effect on speed. Not sure why speed would drift over time other than the cone pulley moving or the motor speed changing due to aging lubricants. It seems that if it were to change it would slow down rather than speed up. If you had to move the pulley up, that means it was running slow.
If you have not cleaned and re-lubed the motor bearings, that can be very beneficial.

What I meant to say is I lowered the pulley, which had the effect of the idler making contact a little higher on the pulley. Anyway, the speed seems dead on with the pitch control at center now. Is there lamp or strobe I can buy to verify the speed with the Dual speed disk that came with it?
 
What cartridge and stylus are you using in that picture? Something looks a little off there, like the slylus is jutting out or something.

The table came with a Shure M80E-D19 cart. It has what Shure calls "Stereo Dynetic Gard-A-Matic" setup. Makes for a long cart. First I have seen. Seem a bit silibant, Might be worn? I have replaced it with a Acutex M320 II STR with a Shibata tip. Set it up with my protractor. Sounds alot better.
 

Attachments

  • M90EA.jpg
    M90EA.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 13
  • M90EB.jpg
    M90EB.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 11
  • M90EC.jpg
    M90EC.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 9
  • M90ED.jpg
    M90ED.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom