• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Room for KHorns

pezzzzx

Active Member
I have a 14'x16' listening room. I presently am using Cornwalls and they sound great. I have always wanted to go to KHorns at some point.
Anyone have any history with the KHorns in a room this size?
 
Register to hide this ad
I have my Khorns in a room that is less than desirable according to all recommendations, and they dwarf my Cornwalls in performance. I can hardly wait until I can stage them properly.
 
I have a 14'x16' listening room. I presently am using Cornwalls and they sound great. I have always wanted to go to KHorns at some point.
Anyone have any history with the KHorns in a room this size?

I have my KHorns shoehorned in my temproary location (moving in another 10 months) and they sound phenomenal, but I know they could sound better in a proper room (the size PWK recommended). Right now the room is about 9' x 26' but open on the far end to create an L-shaped living room, so the far end (away from the stereo) is actually open to the kitchen and a cathedral ceiling. They need more room to breath (in between) and a proper wall (without a doorway so close to the speaker) to increase bass response:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=360524

They still bring tears to my eyes when I listen. Their presence is amazing even when they are squeezed in. They sound that good. Really. I didn't need to have the proper size room to pull the trigger on this deal. I just took many AK sages' advice and got them when the chance arose. Get the Khorns regardless of room size - they sound good 6 feet away (when I'm listening late at night at low volume), 12 feet away (playing cards), and about 21 feet away (in my easy chair), you won't regret it.

-Dave
 
Nothing like a pair of Khorns used as headphones!

I'll be intrigued to see how this works.. looks like I'll be moving to Jacksonville (work related) and will be getting an apartment for while. If I setup as I plan, I'll have two Jubilee's and three LaScalass in a living room that is maybe... well... apartment sized!

(I didn't get any measurements but it's not THAT big)

I might put two of the LaScalas in the bedroom or, might put them in the 2nd bedroom for storage.
 
My La Scalas are in a 12x12 room. They're about six and a half feet apart and about five feet from where I sit to listen. They sound great quiet, they sound great loud. The room does funny things to the bass - it's actually weaker where I sit than at other places in the room or in the next room. I should address that, but I'm still thrilled every time I sit down to play some music.
 
My La Scalas are in a room about 12x14. My only problem is I'm getting too much reflection off my back wall and it just sounds "weird." I should be putting up some ATS panels soon to help correct that.
 
What are the best room dimensions (according to PWK).

I cannot locate a specific optimal room size for KHorns – only ratios. My current room size ratio is 3:4 until the room expands in width (from 9 to 20 feet with two half walls in between) and the ceiling expands from 8 to 17 feet. To complicate matters further, the second floor opening also has a half wall and the first floor opens to the kitchen on the close side and a stairway to the far side. I won’t even attempt to calculate a ratio at that point. The ratio I chose,however, is a result of the actual speaker placement in a ‘perceived’ room and only available location.

“Choosing the room for a good sound system appears to require a preference for rooms that have a length to breadth ratio of less than 8.5. I still prefer to put a stereo array on the long wall in most cases. A ratio of 6:5 is preferable to one of 8:5.” (Klipsch, P. W., Vol 1, Num 4) with at least four-foot corners (of wall) (Klipsch, P. W., Vol 15/ Num 5).

-Dave

Klipsch, Paul W., (16 Dec 1960 and [no month/day] 1976). Dope from Hope. Retrieved 5 June, 2011 from http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/3/1209678/DOPE from HOPE!!!_searchable.pdf
 
Nothing like a pair of Khorns used as headphones!

I'll be intrigued to see how this works.. looks like I'll be moving to Jacksonville (work related) and will be getting an apartment for while. If I setup as I plan, I'll have two Jubilee's and three LaScalass in a living room that is maybe... well... apartment sized!

(I didn't get any measurements but it's not THAT big)

I might put two of the LaScalas in the bedroom or, might put them in the 2nd bedroom for storage.



Holy crap Coytee!
Let me know when you get to Jax :banana:
Would love to hear your Jubs. I have a khorn system with all the mods but you probably heard them all. Do have some nice electronics you may or may not of heard. I have some storage space for your lascalas:D
 
Holy crap Coytee!
Let me know when you get to Jax :banana:
Would love to hear your Jubs. I have a khorn system with all the mods but you probably heard them all. Do have some nice electronics you may or may not of heard. I have some storage space for your lascalas:D

Just posted on another thread, asking if you were aware... seems you now are.

:thmbsp:

I imposed some electronics onto Wayne when I came down last week. Now they won't get banged up in a truck.

I'm staying in a hole in the wall...7 month lease initially, so I can figure out at a more leisurely pace....where I want to move.

Truth be told... I agreed to the apartment without even seeing it. It might turn out to be "cute" or a real bad experience :no: We'll see soon enough.

I had Khorns. Mated them with a JBL 2404 and some of Al's ES crossovers. Went through multiple tube amps... finally sold them all.

Today I've got two Crown K2's and/or a dbx BX3 (configurable between 2,3 or 4 channels)

Regardless... once down there I look forward to meeting some people.

:thmbsp:
 
Would you prefer to store LaScalas or some MWM bins?

My brother in law stacked his little EV SX 360's on the MWM's and they sounded killer. His EV's already sound good but need some bass extension.

Heh... I wonder if I could put my little Promedia satellites on top of them and get that to work somehow... that might be funny
 
:scratch2: er, yeah the MWM's would be nice. I installed a few of these back in the 80's mated with some QSC amps.
What side of town are you on and I'll tell ya if a 45 is required, LOL! Your pretty much safe east of 115 and South of 90
 
Seeing as I have no idea what/where 115 nor 90 are... I'll presume I'm pretty much safe!

The basic location is a mile or so west of 95 just off the (Beach?) street/avenue exit

To tell you the truth, it was such a whirlwind while down there... I don't even know.

It fit my criteria though... I wanted 6 months lease, got 7. I wanted ground level and got it. Everything else (and I mean everything else) was either up or down a half flight of stairs at minimum.

If it makes it any better....at least these are MWM singles :screwy:

I'm still not sure if I'm going to bring them.
 
Over the years, my placements have been in many different and oddly shaped areas. None of them sounded anything less than great. But.. the BEST they ever sounded was in the Little Theater in NSB, Fl., which was decades ago. I had people dancing in the isles. I'm guessing the area was 50' X 75' with the Khorns sitting upstage in the corners.
 
Here sit mine....

Nearfield monitors in a 15' by 15' room. I sit at my bench about 6-7' between them. And of course they sound great.....




13e28a59.jpg
 
My La Scalas are in a 12x12 room. They're about six and a half feet apart and about five feet from where I sit to listen. They sound great quiet, they sound great loud. The room does funny things to the bass - it's actually weaker where I sit than at other places in the room or in the next room. I should address that, but I'm still thrilled every time I sit down to play some music.

My lascalas are in a room very close to this size. I put a acoustic panel behind each speaker, one on each side wall about 2' in front of each speaker and 2 on the front wall. Now they sound amazing.
 
Back
Top Bottom