• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show us your DIY speaker projects!

Cool, Gary! What drivers are those?

Those drivers are AER MKI's and belong to our good friend Redboy.

Here's the Green Cone version.

1d7d3c78-ecd7-49ae-a881-b85bbe37be22.jpg
 
Wow this has been a long thread.....lots of interesting and ambitious stuff. I have been building speakers for many years but no real builders to talk to. I need to scan some photos but I do have this sub using a 12" JL audio W6 woofer with a 240 watt plate amp in a 3.5 cu ft cabinet. The walls are 1" particle board doubled up at the speaker mount and reinforced with ribs as shown. Lots of lacquer built up for a piano finish. Very musical sub that does not make its self known unless pointed out.
 

Attachments

  • PB220042.jpg
    PB220042.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 186
  • dad pic 002.jpg
    dad pic 002.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 133
I also take old cabinets and put them together with stuff laying in my storage to move it along. Here is a Bose 501 gutted and after re-foaming the woofers added an Infinity closed back midrange from a tower system and installed an old Seas tweeter that did not work well for an old project. Built a completely new crossover. This time with a higher crossover point the tweeters sounded excellent! Added clay to the woofer to lower resonance and dampened the midrange peak to make a mechanical crossover assist. I did not write down the details so I don't know the numbers. My friend was very happy with the reanimation.
 

Attachments

  • speaker 023.jpg
    speaker 023.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 132
  • speaker 019.jpg
    speaker 019.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
This is a pair I did in 1991. Brazilian rosewood was still available then. This was the beginning of my large round corners for low diffraction and the first low resonance bass cabinet. I tuned it by ear ending up with a 2" port 1.5" long and when it was measured everyone thought the equipment was faulty. There were no impedance peaks through the bass region. Actually the scale had to be set at 15 ohms total so the peaks could be seen...the 8 ohm woofer had two 9 ohm rises and the tuning was at 32 hz. The phase was almost flat also going to + & - 5 degrees through the 32 hz. This presented a very nice load for any amp and had a clean bass quality I had never realized before. The stuffing had to be just right and there is a panel in the center for a short transmission line. The woofer is Peerless the midrange is Focal and the tweeter is the classic Vifa aluminum dome.
 

Attachments

  • 10 in 3 way 91.jpg
    10 in 3 way 91.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
This is a pair I did in 1991. Brazilian rosewood was still available then. This was the beginning of my large round corners for low diffraction and the first low resonance bass cabinet. I tuned it by ear ending up with a 2" port 1.5" long and when it was measured everyone thought the equipment was faulty. There were no impedance peaks through the bass region. Actually the scale had to be set at 15 ohms total so the peaks could be seen...the 8 ohm woofer had two 9 ohm rises and the tuning was at 32 hz. The phase was almost flat also going to + & - 5 degrees through the 32 hz. This presented a very nice load for any amp and had a clean bass quality I had never realized before. The stuffing had to be just right and there is a panel in the center for a short transmission line. The woofer is Peerless the midrange is Focal and the tweeter is the classic Vifa aluminum dome.

Quite the looker ! And trully stunning veneer :yes:
 
Thank you, but the midrange was only available 6 months then pulled off the market due to Focal putting the clear damping material on the front of the cone and now it has dust and hair stuck all over it (icky) there is no way to clean it with out removing the goo. This is why the sticky stuff is always on the back now. Not quite as sharp as it used to be. I was offered $2000 but the rosewood is too nice and not replaceable. Oh yeah and the midrange has a complex labyrinth I always use I call the acoustic death chamber.
 
Going back to 1982 this pair has two tweeters one in front and one in back of the little structure on top of the midrange with a open back for a monopole arrangement. The front one is Seas the back is Phillips. The midrange is the classic Phillips 5" used in many speakers like Rectilinear. I always cut off the wizzer cone. It is in my earliest and simplest version of the labyrinth "acoustic death chamber" cabinet. I think the 12" woofer is Phillips also in a acoustic suspension cabinet. I repaired these before the owner moved to China and put in Audio Concepts AC12 woofers that were an improvement. I was an early proponent of time alignment and cut the top of the cabinet back to eliminate the diffraction then created a grille cloth to swoop back to allow free vertical dispersion.
 

Attachments

  • 12 in 3 way - 1982.jpg
    12 in 3 way - 1982.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 216
Jumping into the way back machine to 1970 this is my first decent speaker. It has the classic Philips 1" dome with short horn for extended highs. I used an Oaktron midrange in my first acoustic death cabinet. I tested the 5" in a normal box and got +- 7 db rough response then in my special design cabinet and got +- 2 db. I was competing with the better stuff on the market then. The 12" CTS woofer is in an acoustic suspension cabinet. I stayed with AS cabinets until 1986 when I learned to do vented without the bass reflex boomy box sound. Yes that is a Dynaco Mark 3 tube amp on top I also built a pair of SWTPC Tiger amps (90 watts) for the bottom pair of the same speakers. I felt the high power amps of the era were sonically compromised so I did the high power my way.
 

Attachments

  • 1970 the beginning.jpg
    1970 the beginning.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 151
I want to build them. Would like to use 6.5" to 8" mains. Idea could be expanded from a model 46 or 48 to a 5x, 6x, 7x with seven mains and so on till you hit the ceiling...or bottom of your wallet
 

Attachments

  • speaker x_03.jpg
    speaker x_03.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 133
Again, these already have their own threads, but for consolidation's sake... :)

Fostex FF125K mini reflex:

attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


Mid-size Karlson SK8, w/ Fostex FF225WK:

attachment.php


az
 
Wow....very nice work, guys! Thanks for sharing this stuff. It's very inspiring for a first time, wanna be speaker builder like myself. I pick up a damaged sheet of 3/4" mdf cheap at Lowe's over a year ago but plans were put on hold when I got laid off. I'll likely start with a nice 2-way bookshelf although the full range Fostex designs sure are tempting! I bet those 4Pi speakers sound great.

Mark
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom