• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

The sound of the 2 is different as well as looks. If both were in full operating condition AND the same price, I'd finally have a working 6060. The 6800 is really a nice unit but my heart goes ot the 6060. Now the reality is that given the prices and average conditions of these in the marketplace, the 6060 will cost more to get ready to put on the shelf though the purchase price is less since these need a good going over due to age. For me, given the reality, I still vote for the 6060 but by now everyone here knows that when it comes to this model I definitely have lost all reason. Oh, as to the why, well the 6060 is so good, it has been nearly a year since I subbed it for for my Mc system for a brief trial run on my Symphonys. It is the first receiver I have really liked that much sonically. I am looking for a loaner 1700 and 1900 to throw against it but I've owned both before and never had a compunction about selling them but that was years ago and now in my more advanced age it may be a different story. I do suspect that the Sony may be the better given that for Mc a receiver was a response to a market pressure and not a spotlight piece for the company whereas these early Sonys were developed to establish Sony in the Market and show they could build as good as the best of them. Can not wait to get the 6120 and see how it stacks up.
 
Last edited:
absolon said:
Quick question. If you had to pick one, STR 6800SD or STR 6060F, which would it be and why? Thanks
While the STR-6800SD is very nice (have two for sale :D for not much money) the build quality of the earlier Sony's was spectacular. They do suffer from the fact that they are 30+ years of age and generally need to be gone through and cleaned/refurbished/updated, but they are great pieces and were designed to 'beat' the competition and not merely match it in the marketplace.
 
i have two st-a6b tunas. neither is 100%, so i am sending 'em both to bob fitzgerald, one of the tuna gurus from the tic - he agreed to make one sing, in exchange for the other one. :D

(not mine, but it looks exactly the same):
ST-A6B.jpg


one f/a on ebay now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5838051836

doug s.
 
Brian said:
Great deal. Wonder if someone would fix 1 of my 6060s in exchange for the other?
well, the st-a6b is a hot tuna, that seems to be getting more recognition out there in tuna land - 7 gangs, excellent rf front end, incredible reception, excellent sound, long tuning band... and, that's stock! :D so it was easy enuff to tempt someone w/this barter arrangement. ;)

i don't know anything about the 6060's, or whether anyone is wanting one. you could ask mike williams at radio x, as he's also into receivers...

good luck,

doug s.
 
Following Brian's Pied Piper act, I picked up a "near mint" 6060FW on ebay for $31 plus shipping. The tuner is off and doesn't do stereo but the amp is indeed wonderful sounding both with speakers and headphones. It's strong and accurate without being harsh or gritty. No wood case, boohoo.

I'm going to take it to my new shop here in San Jose and give Norm a challenge - nobody's been able to fix the tuner - can you? If he's successful, then we'll do a recap. If not, then I'd get a hot tuner to feed it FM.

Still, one would hope that the STR-6120/6200F is a better machine overall - it has two tuning meters, for example, plus a bit more power and a prettier face and control arrangement.

And yes, that ST-A6B is a machine to realistically lust after.
 
Sorry to hear the demultiplexer is not working. Darn, I hoped I was the only 1 jinxed. I'm sure they can be fixed but I have had a couple of bad experiences locally, including 1 of the 6060s so am holding off until I find someone who really knows tuners. There is a local shop but, I've not visited him as of yet. If it does not pan out. Hmmm .. maybe 1 to Punker/X and the other to Terry DeWickt. I love shootouts. Currently I plan on sending the 6120 from EW to Punker so when I get it I will know it has been carefully gone over in every way.
 
I know someone who has eaten 1 too many lotus blossoms :). YB@, it is interesting to see Audio Lab still exists. I used to empty their used equipment room almost every Thursday night for a couple of years. Those were the days, walk in and pick up a half dozen or so Marantz 10b tuners, some Marantz 9s, a 7c or so, a few SLT-12Us new in box, Scotts in 1 corner, Fishers in another, knee deep in Thorens TD124s. Ferrograhs, Magnacords, new Jensen tri-axials in boxes, sigh. And persons thought I had a van for Saturday night activities - HA!
 
Brian said:
I know someone who has eaten 1 too many lotus blossoms :).
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Also, EW just finished my latest TA-5650 (thanks, Ron :thmbsp: ) and here is what he did and said about its performance:

"The Sony is done. The diodes were bad just like every other one I’ve fooled with, but the bias pot was also crap and was replaced. I still had trouble with keeping the bias steady till I replaced a few of the filter caps, so all of the electrolytic caps on the driver board were replaced. Also, the output relay had misaligned contacts and was replaced. All switches and pots were cleaned. Offset is about 3mV in one channel, and 30mV in the other. There is no adjustment.

Also added the by-pass caps on the PS filter caps and BGs on the phono board.

The amp clipped at 78WPC, and at the rated 60WPC, THD+N was 0.022%. Amp sounds very good (like a VFET should)."


Actually, the TA-5650 is rated at 50wpc, rather than the 60 that EW listed. So that's 56% headroom and the THD+N might actually be lower @ 50wpc than the excellent 0.022% EW got in his measurements @ 60wpc.
 

Attachments

  • TA-5650 Front.jpg
    TA-5650 Front.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 177
  • TA-5650 Nudie.jpg
    TA-5650 Nudie.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 210
  • TA-5650 VFETs.jpg
    TA-5650 VFETs.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Brian (and anyone else who can add something), I know you own both so could you compare the 6060 to the 6065 for me in terms of sound quality, tuner and anything else you think is relevant. I know the 6065 is stronger at 70 wpc, that it is one generation newer and the build quality isn't as good, but I'm not able to find anything about how they stack up against each other. Thanks.
 
They both show a common heritage sonically. Through the aux input: On the same speakers and at the same subjectve listening levels the amp on the 6065 delivers a somewhat more noticable bass impression but seems to have less control and detail. Midrange up on the 6065 has less detail and more smear when listening to massed strings. The 6060 does not separate them to so each violin can be heard as a distinctive instrument but comes closer to real life balance of something like a row F at Avery. The phono preamp through the amp did not change either in any significant fashion. I used the phono preamps through the tape outs into the C28 and MC2105 and Symphonys and their respective colorations were the same. The 6060s phono preamp did have a higher noise level but the receiver is older and has not been checked out by a tech so it may be inherent or could be reduced when I have it gone through.

The overall differences make the 6060 good enough that I could use is as a dedicated amp whereas the 6065 does not rise to that same level. 1 of the 6060s with the bad demultiplex, I did have gone through and the sound of it in a brief test between it and the running 6060 makes me believe the 6060 running can use some TLC. I did not compare it to the 6065 since without going through the 6065 first would be a bit unfair.

It is in the tuner that there is a bigger different. For this I ran both into again inot the Mc system and let both run for an hour before listening since the 6060 has that drift issue. The 6065 tuner came closer to the sound of its amp while the 6060 came close to the sound of the MR77. The 6065 has a good tuner and it is IMHO opinion better than say the Marantz 2270 but the 6060 walked all over it for delivering that fine detail (really decent on the 6065 but far behind the 6060), resonances from the sound boxes of the cello (there on the 6065 but muddier), the triangle on the 6060 was not as real as the 77 but on the 6065 sounded more lile someone had a finger on the metal. Piano on both is very good but the 6060 presented a more life sized instrument. On orchestra music, the 6060 tuner keeps the placement more exact and does the entire receiver when compared to the 6065. Soundstage goes to the 6065 on the horizontal but to the 6060 on the depth.

Like the amp, the tuner is so good that if you could find a 6060 with the tuner working and the amp not, it is worth getting just for the tuner. However, the demultiplexer seems to have the reliability issue after so many decade so finding 1 seems unrealistic. So far I am only aware of 1 other that the demultiplexer is working besides mine. This should not be a probelm to fix since the board is not buried and it is all discrete components. Just here in Toronto there seems to be a scarcity of good tuner techs.

The 6065 has always been very satisfying and 1 reason why I've owned it for so long. When I got it, I has a 2270 in-house and it was a pleasant unit but did not tickle my toes. The 6065 showed the weaknesses of the 2270 and the 2270 went to a friend shortly thereafter. The 6065 will not be leaving since my son has fanatically taken possession of it. As good as it is, the 6060 is simply that much better. I could not live the 6065 as my main source but it is a strong second system contender. The 6060 could be a main system unit.

To qualify myself. I used both units with the Bozak Symphonys, the original Advents that have masonite ringed woofers and Klipsch Heresy IIs. Also, used for the critical listening the Koss ESP9b full range electrostatic headphones that feed from the speaker terminals. Turntables were Thorens TD125 with ADC XLM MKII Super and Empire 598II with Pickering 4500. Hi-level source was a Philips CD player and the Philips 4506 reel to reel. Music preference is classical and jazz with opera thrown in occaisionally. Rock is not my thing and other than Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon was not used in the tests. Instruments that make or break a system for me usually are: violin (solely and massed), cello, flute, triangle, harp and kettle drum.

Neither receiver has seen a doctor since I've owned them and hence if each were given a complete go over by the same tech, the differences could be such that my observations may be irrelevant. My intention is over the next year is to 1st, get the 6120 after EW and Punker/X do their thing and see how it stacks up to the 6060. Depending on the outcome I may have 1 of the 6060s gone through by EW and Punker/X but at this time the 6060 that is operational save the drift I'm leaving alone. When the 6060, if done, comes back and there is a noticable difference I am thinking of having the 6065 gone through as a gift to junior unless he decides on the 6060. Due to the looks of the 6060, I suspect he will want to keep the 6065.

I know this is a bit long but hope it gives some insight. 1 last thing, the 42 vs 58 watts is not that significant, at least at my normal listening levels. Each BTW, I suspect have pretty decent low power level figures since I have noticed that when listening to them vs other receivers I have, I do not tend to listen at as high level on the average. Usually, with SS amps, there is a tendancy to listen at an average level (without a knowing attempt to reach a threshold) that is a point on the amp's power curve where the noise and distortion levels are at the bottom of the slopes.
 
Picked up a STR-6800SD off eBay for $12 - had to snipe MicroPassatMan for it but I apologized when I realized who I outbid. It was in SoCal so I saved on shipping too.

If it works like it should, I'll clean it up, listen for a while then give it to my son as a present, along with some used speakers.

In the mean time, the STR-6060FW goes to the shop today or tomorrow to see if the local talent here in Silicon Valley can fix the multiplexer. If so, we'll do a complete tune-up and some planning for a re-cap.

Even with the 6060 in its raw state, I second Brian's opinion of the amp. Do wish it were prettier, had a wood case, and a signal strength meter.
 
You could send it to Merrylander and he'd do a real pretty case for it. I had briefly communicated with him and he had a really nice idea for 1. Since the metal cover secures on the side like later Sonys rather than a full sleeve, you also could easily do the 3 piece style used on most of the receivers such as the 6045. Simply a top piece and 2 side pieces. The top has a lip that fits into slots in the side pieces and when you secure the sides, the top is secured. Not even needing cement. Only minus is there is nothing around the bottom but, not that noticable. The 6800 for $12; really good deal; watch it or you'll become a Sony addict :).
 
Many thanks Brian, I appreciate the detail and have made up my mind. I suspect my listening tastes parallel yours (though I would add the guitar in all it's forms) so the 6060 sounds like the better option.

Whitehall, I also appreciate your input. I am a cabinet/furniture maker and should things come together as I hope, once I've worked out sizes and construction details, a wood case wouldn't be a problem if you are still looking for one.
 
$12 for a 6800 is a great deal. Seeing them go for that kind of price just kills me knowing how good they are. I paid $5 for my first 6800 at GW without having a clue what it was. But after picking it up and feeling how heavy it was I couldn't resist, knew there had to be something there. That was the start of a very slippery slope into full blown vintage Sony mania for me. I guess I'm going to have to pick up a 6060 too the way you guys keep going on about them.
 
IMHO, one needs to be quite careful when comparing tuners/amps of the vintage you are discussing in the last several posts. All are old enough that they would benefit from at least an alignment and a recap. So who knows whether what you hear between the two Brian mentions and two other identical receivers would hold true? If both had been aligned and recapped then the comparison is meaningful. As neither had, it is only a comparison between two relatively old vintage receivers that have varying degrees of drift that are unknown. YMMV.
 
Byrdwings, just in case you're thinking of it in the next few days, I'll warn you I have just sold my $5 Marantz for $120 and my free Dual 606 for the same
Easy come means easy go:D
 
Yamaha B-2 said:
IMHO, one needs to be quite careful when comparing tuners/amps of the vintage you are discussing in the last several posts. All are old enough that they would benefit from at least an alignment and a recap. So who knows whether what you hear between the two Brian mentions and two other identical receivers would hold true? If both had been aligned and recapped then the comparison is meaningful. As neither had, it is only a comparison between two relatively old vintage receivers that have varying degrees of drift that are unknown. YMMV.

Any good scientist would agree with you completely, but science isn't the only factor in my decision.
 
Back
Top Bottom