• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Skyfall

No, it is NOT tailoring. Saville Row is tailoring. You go in and get a suit made just for you. Tom Ford is off the rack stuff that is then tweaked to kinda fit someone. James Bond would never buy off the rack. Nor would he try to dress like a 18 year old Beverly Hills kid art the prom.

British suits have always far tighter than American suits, which hang on the wearer like a sack. The small armholes, for instance, allow ease of movement. But these are just poorly fitting, overly trendy suits.

Bond ALWAYS suffers when he tries too hard to fit in with the times. And I'll put this movie with Moonraker as being the worst dressed Bond of all time. Althought Timothy Dalton did have some pretty horrible, cheap looking stuff.

Finally, Craigs suits DON"T fit him. They are all too small.

I have to absolutely agree here, I HATE that too-small-stove-pipe pants-busting-out-of-the-jacket look.......it really looks like incredibly bad taste, and it just WRONG.
Bond would never dress like that....
What has happened? Why have they not retained the timeless debonaire gentleman look?
I dont like the way they had him looking like some loser alcoholic at the beginning of the movie either.......

As much as I actually went WOO HOO in the theatre when he opened the door and the Aston DB5 was sitting there, I didnt understand why they had to destroy it.....Its a small thing, but I am a car person, and I dislike seeing beautiful cars being destroyed like that....

The continuity was a bit off with the Aston, the car is 48 years old, so if it had been in storage for that long, he would be in his 70's? So I thought that was a bit strange, but I guess they had to get it in the movie somehow....

I thought the story line was OK but it could have benefited from some good old Richard Maibaum and Tom Mankiewics style screen writing....but thats just me....

I did NOT like the new Q, my goodness I was embarrassed!!!

I did like this movie more than the Quantam but I'm just not sure I like what they have turned James Bond into....

Im going to watch Thunderball today on my day off to remind me what bond is all about!!
 
As compared to perfection:

1257_5.jpg


Craig ends up looking like a bodyguard by comparison, not a super spy.

There we go, what a gentleman!! dressed like one too!!
 
I think that jacket looks big and bulky on Connery. By agree that that jacket on Craig doesn't fit either.
 
I think that jacket looks big and bulky on Connery. By agree that that jacket on Craig doesn't fit either.

The jacket is actually as perfectly tailored as anyone has ever worn in a movie. Perfect, and absolutely timeless.
 
That is your opinion. Styles change and in a contemporary sense, it's big. I realize you're not talking contemporary, but people have different preferences. Style is as subjective as audio.
 
That is your opinion. Styles change and in a contemporary sense, it's big. I realize you're not talking contemporary, but people have different preferences. Style is as subjective as audio.

Fashion changes. Style does not. It is timeless. The suits in Skyfall are all about fashion. They are as relevant to style as Crockett and Tubbs. Far more than anything he wore in CR or QofS, the poor choice of clothing will date the movie terribly.
 
Couldn't agree more with everything you said. They really aren't making Bond films anymore as far as I'm concerned. They don't feel like Bond films. Prior to Brosnan entering the picture, the films had a very special and distinctive FEEL to them which is sorely missing today. Craig is very good, the films are still very good, but the films themselves are just high octane action films with the Bond logo, babes, gadgets, exotic locales. This is a new, younger crew of industry facilitators save Barbara Broccoli who really don't get it and foolishly feel the need to reinvent the Bond franchise when in fact it was perfect as it was and never needed to be reinvented. The franchise seems to fall all over itself nowadays trying to show everyone how much it's moved away from the past and progressed and any reference to the past and former Bond glory is done with a wink and a nudge as if it's so much smarter than it used to be. They should be embarrassed. I got news for them - for starters the music sucks, the title sequences are now computerized garbage, and thank heavens Judi Dench retired as M. Disney does the same thing, they change things constantly, and all they usually do is screw everything up that people enjoyed for 20-50 years depending on the park in question. The mystique and beauty and vibe of the first 16 or so films is gone for me. The classic Bond films worked very nicely, they were very popular, why turn that on its ear and change a good thing to the degree that they do? There was nothing wrong with the way it was. A lot of the key figures that were responsible for that such as Cubby Broccoli, John Barry, Maurice Binder, and Mr Mankiewicz have passed away. Tom was an adjunct college professor at my college and I loved him. He screened Bond films for his film classes and his stories were priceless. I do like Craig very much, Roger Moore is my bond, but give me the classics any day.

You're right. There was a very James Bond feel to every Eon bond movie. It seems to have disappeared after Licensed to Kill. There have been a lot of great action movies since then starring James Bond, but no great James Bond movies. I'm not saying every James Bond movie made before that was great. It's more a matter of them having a real sense of what made for a James Bond movie.

Since then, there seems to have been a lack of confidence on the part of the producers about what makes up a James Bond film. They keep "rebooting" the franchise, which means they never got the earlier movies right.

As far as grittiness and reality, why do I want that in a Bond movie? I want escapism. I want larger than life characters. I want FUN. As I said before, I want to aspire, or at least dream, of being that guy on the big screen. Or in the books. Dangerous, charming, sexy. A master at all he does. The gent that every man envies and every woman wants. That sure ain't this guy.

That being said, I love the more modern action and or spy movies. I loved the Bournes. I loved the reality they brought to the genre. But can't we have those AND James Bond?
 
The Bourne franchise

You're right. There was a very James Bond feel to every Eon bond movie. It seems to have disappeared after Licensed to Kill. There have been a lot of great action movies since then starring James Bond, but no great James Bond movies. I'm not saying every James Bond movie made before that was great. It's more a matter of them having a real sense of what made for a James Bond movie.

Since then, there seems to have been a lack of confidence on the part of the producers about what makes up a James Bond film. They keep "rebooting" the franchise, which means they never got the earlier movies right.

As far as grittiness and reality, why do I want that in a Bond movie? I want escapism. I want larger than life characters. I want FUN. As I said before, I want to aspire, or at least dream, of being that guy on the big screen. Or in the books. Dangerous, charming, sexy. A master at all he does. The gent that every man envies and every woman wants. That sure ain't this guy.

That being said, I love the more modern action and or spy movies. I loved the Bournes. I loved the reality they brought to the genre. But can't we have those AND James Bond?
So did the people who were in charge of the Bond franchise. Watch Casino Royal and the first Bourne movie and tell me you can't see the influence with the camera angle and the action scenes. Tight camera shots during violent scenes as well as they speed up the scene just a pinch so you mind has a problem digesting it making you squirm.
 
Saw it last night. Enjoyed it, but not as a bond movie. Just another action flick. Could have easily been a Tom cruise movie.
 
Be advised that the official SKYFALL soundtrack CD does not contain a title song track. If you want that incidental piece of music you have to buy it separately. However the soundtrack CD does contain 30 beautifully recorded disjointed tracks of mood music from the film.
 
For instance, a jacket should never bulge and pull:
...What he ends up looking like is a guy who paid big bucks for a suit, and then has let himself go and gained 20 lbs of flab. Not an uncommon look, and very unflattering.

You're quite right about that. Both the suit in the film and the one on the red carpet are just awful for fit. I have a $4,000 suit tailored in Germany for a dinner I hosted for the President of Japan that for 20 years got me numerous gushing compliments. Fortunately men can wear a good suit over and over and get the same reaction unlike women and their dresses that can't be seen publicly twice, so I wore it often. These days I can look equally awful in it as Craig there in his. I think it took 30 minutes lying on the floor tugging to get the pants on for a funeral a few years back. :D If I'm lucky, I'll die of some wasting disease in my (much) old(er) age and people can gush over me when I roll into the crematorium.

I agree with Mech986's assessment of Brosnan as Bond. I thought Goldeneye a vast improvement over any Roger Moore installment and a significant improvement over Dalton's two. Connery was always very good, but his choice to leave the franchise to younger men was appropriate, right when he made it. George Lazenby was the stinker of all time, but Moore was a close second and unbearable. The persona evoked by Daniel Craig by the writing and direction for him make him seem a bit murky and less resolute than I expect. But I don't fault the actor himself but rather the writing and direction as I know he's quite capable from his other work (unlike Moore or Lazenby), and I'd say the same for Dalton as Craig.

Anyway, my point in poking in here is to say I found Goldeneye entirely entertaining and full of the larger-than-life characters I expect and enjoy, good art direction and worthy adversarial villians, along with a believeable mission.
 
#1 @ the box office

It was released 5 weeks ago and it is back on top, which according to the Bond Girls is the posistion Bond prefers too. :D
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom