• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SL-220 on the Bench..

Register to hide this ad
Those are nice entry tables. Pretty much trouble free and quiet. While they're no 1200, or even SL-D2 (or B2), they perform well.

Was that headshell a bonus?
 
I have one that no matter how much I Deoxit the speed adjusting pot you can sit and watch the timing marks moving. On the other hand it never has any problems with the auto return function.
 
I have one that no matter how much I Deoxit the speed adjusting pot you can sit and watch the timing marks moving. On the other hand it never has any problems with the auto return function.

I went through that whole De-Oxit/Speed Pot torture with my SL-23. I even took the pots apart to clean them and wound up right back where I started. Tried the thin belt, no good. Tried the fat belt; better but still unstable. Changed the capacitors on the circuit board (THAT was a hassle), still no joy.

Finally I removed the spindle and the minute I looked at it I knew I was on to something. I cleaned all of the old, coagulated grease off of it (and I mean ALL of it, as in ALL of it; you need to get it out of the bearing as well), gave it a quick polish with a Scotch Brite Pad, lubed the bearing by filling it with Singer Sewing Machine Oil, reassembled her and there it was; perfect speed bliss.

That thing has been rock solid for 6 months since; you might want to try that if you haven't already.
 
Dirty 33/45 switches will cause the same symptoms and problems as dirty speed pots. Clean 'em all.
 
Regarding the bearing lube on the SL-23. I used a German supermarket brand engine oil on mine and the platter spun for over 3 minutes when spinning it by hand. NOW THAT'S GOOD OIL!:D
 
Personally, I would not use 3-in-1. But......I suppose it's up to the owner of the deck as to which oil he/she uses to lube the bearing and what THEY are happy with. There are many differing opinions on types of oil.
 
Back
Top Bottom