• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Solen Caps

Cylontymany

Super Member
What is the scoop on Solen caps? I have read that they tend to be on the bright side but are they still good caps? I would like more thoughts and or first hand experience with them. Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
What is the scoop on Solen caps? I have read that they tend to be on the bright side but are they still good caps? I would like more thoughts and or first hand experience with them. Thanks
I love them!. John Dunlavy used them (and he sure did lotsa X-Over research!).
 
I tried them in the Paradigm 3SE Mini's and thought they were too hot. S's sizzled, left speakers playing for days with no improvement. Ended up putting electrolytic
back in them and within 2 hours speakers sounded sweet again. But I am a new to this and know next to nothing. I do know I didn't like what I was hearing with the
Solen's.
 
I have used Solen 400volt poly caps for years.
They are one of the few companies that make large value 150-200mfd poly caps required for my subwoofer satellite crossover.
My Hiquphon tweeters sound life like with them.

IMHO when someone doesn't like their sound they might be hearing the limitations of their drivers.
 
I've used Solen for 25+ years with no ill effects. Everyone hears different. Good caps for the money especially when replacing electrolytic. I just recently used Mundorf in a set of ads L1230's and, today, got a pair of Clarity Cap CSA's for a pair of EPI 200C's that I hope to finish this weekend. Big ass caps for their size. It all depends on what you want to spend and ones personal point of diminishing returns.
 
Last edited:
I don't use them in tweeter circuits anymore. Had speakers with quite expensive Scan Speak tweeters. They sizzled and sounded glaring until I replaced the Solens. And this after over a year of use. I thought it was my ears for a long time.
John
 
I use them. Not overly expencive and work great for crossovers and coupling caps in tube gear. I use Dayton caps a lot also.
 
I swapped daytons out for solens in my KLH Model 6's, 5's, and 23's. I'm older and don't hear HF's as good any more. The KLH's are noted for having slightly rolled off highs any ways so I thought it would be a good inexpensive test. The 23's only have one 4uf cap so that's what I swapped out first. Huge improvement over the Daytons. Keep in mind, I'm speaking only for the KLH's. For many speakers IMO the solens could be overkill. For speakers noted for rolled off highs they may be an inexpensive solution to put a bit more sizzle into HF delivery. Just my .02. :biggrin:
 
My ears don't have a problem with Solens. They have very tight specs and extremely low ESR. I've used them in many applications from coupling caps to power supplies.
 
I used Solens for years until I tried Audyn a-4's. The Audyns are smoother than the Solens to my ears, especially in tweeter circuits. Pricewise the Solens are slightly cheaper, but I believe the cost difference is worth it to use Audyn. In my current system the tweeters are Scanspeak Revelators and they definitely benefit.
 
PIO's might be a good choice for bright or shouty speakers. I haven't used them in speakers yet, but I do like them in one of my tube amps for coupling caps. Very smooth.
 
Yea solens and horns don't mix. Speaking from experience.
Why is that? They test pretty well. But then I'm not a big fan of horns myself and tend to like soft domes. I know using them as coupling caps I see nothing weird on my scope.
 
Back
Top Bottom