• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony 2251 and/or 2250 owners thread

Slightly off-topic but i just bought this TT:

Sony PS-2310. It's a rather rare turntable, it existed alongside the PS-2250 (and others) as a "budget" alternative.
The tonearm isn't the same as the one used on the stock PS-2250 (or the servo-DC belt drives that are visually similar). It's a simplified tonearm. It sounds good.

This is a more conventional turntable, using a simple 4-pole synchronous motor, and no electronics.

Now, the platter is almost identical to the one on my old PS-2251... It looks like it could interchange straight away! It also has a strobo pattern at the underside, even though the TT has no strobo window or lamp.


Mi Sony.jpeg

Enjoying this little TT but (back on topic) the plinth resonates a lot. It seems that Sony didn't give too much thought to the plinth LOL, even my old suspended Ps-2251 had a resonating armboard/plinth.

The motor vibration excites the resonances on the plinth. Funny enough, the transformer of my (direct-drive) PS-2251 had exactly the same problem, in this case the transformer vibrations would leak too.

Has somebody tried daming the plinth? Some suggested compounds to use? I want to fill this sucker until it weights a lot.

Best regards,
Flavio.
 
Flavio, Changing the arm board on the 2251 to a solid ½" thick acrylic piece significantly improved the sound and has made the turntable quiet even at high listening levels. No motor or power supply resonances come through to the speakers that I can hear.

Sony does not make a clean fit for replacing the arm board so a certain amount of routing and drilling was necessary to fit the acrylic piece. Also, the Sony arm board was secured with 4 screws at the corners. I added two screws mid-way along the board to attach it more firmly to the plinth. The goal was to reduce arm board vibration vs the plinth as much as possible.

Unfortunately, the 2310 and 2250 do not allow you to change the arm board so damping would be the next best choice.
 
Hi,

Just wanted to say that I got back my Sony PS-2251 (it was given years ago to my cousin as a gift, i had to pay to make him let go of the Sony... lol), so now i'm part of the club again.

Thus i have the PS-2251 direct drive and the PS-2310 belt drive of identical form factor (as pictured).

@ejmathewson i'll try to see if I can find where to buy acrilyc cut to the dimensions I want.
 
@flavio81 glad to hear that you have a 2251 to play with.

If it's any help, I obtained a ½" thick black acrylic sheet from a friend and then cut it to size, drilled the required holes, and routed the bottom so that it fit the Sony frame. As I mentioned before, I added two mounting screws at the midway point (front to back) to better attach it to the plinth. It was my first time working with thick acrylic and found it pretty easy to work with. I used a plastics saw blade to make the outer cuts and was careful to make sure that the arm board did not bind on the table saw. No need to have a dense projectile launched!

For the acrylic record mat there is a local plastics fabricator who was able to supply a 3 mm x 110 mm ID x 292 mm OD piece laser cut to size. Tiny Zots from Michaels were used to mount the mat to the platter and provide isolation. As I recall, there were 5 center and 5 outer Zots used and spaced as evenly as possible.

It all worked out pretty well and I'm happy with the performance. I'm sure that things like replacing the mat are a matter of personal preference.

John
 
For reference sake, my 2251 arm board is stock. It's a little damage on the edges. Maybe, one day I will replace it. Thanks for the acrylic Plexiglass tip.

Ortofon 2M Bronze and Geo-Disc wide shot (SMALL).jpg

In action. SME 3009 Series II improved arm. Denon DL-103SA (with boron cantilever, nude contact line stylus).

Day Dreaming and Rock Steady.
Aretha Franklin. "Young, Gifted, & Black." Atlantic Records. 7213. Presswell pressing. 1972.
Run-out: ST-A-712393A AT/GP PR.
 
Just purchased a 2251 that’s going to need TLC…

This one won’t be in my hands for about a week, though. No arm or cartridge, and I’ll need to fab an armboard for it.. Another project waiting for attention but supposedly, the strobe speed and motor are working accurately. :)
 
Just purchased a 2251 that’s going to need TLC…

This one won’t be in my hands for about a week, though. No arm or cartridge, and I’ll need to fab an armboard for it.. Another project waiting for attention but supposedly, the strobe speed and motor are working accurately. :)

Photos when it arrives.

Thanks!


Here's mine, when it came to me.

3009 tonearm out checking wiring (super small).jpg

2251 motor.jpg

sony 2251 motor.jpg

Mobil DTE Oil Light (1).jpg
The oil I use on the spindle.
------

One of the first tunes uploaded on "new" Sony. :)
Single Girl.
TT Ross. Off "Mello Mood." J&R Records. TKJRLP21. 1980.
 
Last edited:
Love to see the DIY, in progress!

Me too.. Though I set it aside for right now, I’m working on a DIY 834 clone phono preamp… I’ll post pictures of it, hopefully in a couple weeks.

Just built this “dim bulb tester” last weekend - that bulb was in just to see if it works. There’s a 40 watt bulb in there now and it seems to work very well.. :)

IMG_5475.jpeg
 
Me too.. Though I set it aside for right now, I’m working on a DIY 834 clone phono preamp… I’ll post pictures of it, hopefully in a couple weeks.

Just built this “dim bulb tester” last weekend - that bulb was in just to see if it works. There’s a 40 watt bulb in there now and it seems to work very well.. :)

View attachment 2850719

Looks like an Edison era contraption!

:)
 
Back
Top Bottom