• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL 1200 vs a 1600 SL 1600 MKII

Axcel

Accuphase all the way
I have an opportunity to p/u a literally nos 1200 but have a 1600 MKII am I going to realize anything better in the 1200? The 1200 is not a MKII version yet has the bubble dust cover is that possible?
 
Register to hide this ad
NOT better but different. Both great tables. If the 1200 is like it's bigger brother the SL1100A than it will have a warmer sound, of coarse it depends on what system your running it through. Sorry to say you'll only really know if you buy it.
 
Are we talking about a 1200 or a 1200 MK2? [OOPS! I should learn to read!] I'd say that the 1600 MK2 is a better table than the original 1200 but essentially the same as, in terms of quality, the 1200 MK2. The principal differences are in that the 1600 MK2 is a suspended full auto and the 1200 MK2 is an unsuspended manual.

John
 
Last edited:
I have an opportunity to p/u a literally nos 1200 but have a 1600 MKII am I going to realize anything better in the 1200? The 1200 is not a MKII version yet has the bubble dust cover is that possible?

I believe the 1600MKII is as good or better than the 1200MKII

The 1500MKII i certainly consider better. For starters, it has a heavier platter.
 
I just sold my primo/flawless 1600MkII International to a A-K colleague in Chile and I hope he enjoys it as much as I did.
 
I believe the 1600MKII is as good or better than the 1200MKII

The 1500MKII i certainly consider better. For starters, it has a heavier platter.

I'm tempted to say that the 1600 MK2 is better as well. In terms of arm, motor, platter, etc., the 1200 MK2 and 1600 MK2 are the same and I like the idea of suspended tables.

That being said, the SL-1500 MK2 is from a somewhat different design "family". It's from the 1300/1400/1500 group instead of the 1600/1700/1800. I think the MK2 1300, 1400 and 1500 are a step up from the MK2 1600, 1700 & 1800 tables.

John
 
1200 is not a MKII version yet has the bubble dust cover is that possible?

Yes, I believe the first 1200s had a very darkly smoked dustcover but they had the "Dan Gurney bump"*.

John

*Dan Gurney was so tall (for a racing driver) that when he drove for Ford at Le Mans in the winning GT40s they had to put a bump in the roof on the driver's side so that he could fit. Every time I see a 1200 dustcover I can't help thinking of that.
 
I ain't sellin' mine! Not never! Not no how!

John

I have more good TTs than room, I opted to keep a Sony PS-X70 instead of the Techie but I'm not using it either having a Pioneer PL-L1000, Mitsubishi LT-30, and an oh-so-sweet modified H-K T60 in active use in the secondary system. The Revox B795 is also sidelined and may go.
 
I'm tempted to say that the 1600 MK2 is better as well. In terms of arm, motor, platter, etc., the 1200 MK2 and 1600 MK2 are the same and I like the idea of suspended tables.

That being said, the SL-1500 MK2 is from a somewhat different design "family". It's from the 1300/1400/1500 group instead of the 1600/1700/1800. I think the MK2 1300, 1400 and 1500 are a step up from the MK2 1600, 1700 & 1800 tables.

John

the 1200 MK2 and 1600 MK2 are the same and I like the idea of suspended tables. Sorry John but your wrong on that one...........
 
the 1200 MK2 and 1600 MK2 are the same and I like the idea of suspended tables. Sorry John but your wrong on that one...........

Yes, I am wrong based on your edit but my full statement isn't wrong.

The MK2 version of the SL-1600, 1700 and 1800 do use the same arm, same motor and same platter as the 1200 MK2. The only difference is that the 1600 has 9 holes in the platter for the LEDs to shine through.

You could look it up. ;)

John
 
1600mkII will be better than the 1200 non mkII imho.

i have the 1600mkII and a 1200mkII running identical carts, and i cant tell the difference truth be said.

regards,
asmd.
 
1600mkII will be better than the 1200 non mkII imho.
This.

That said, the 1600 MK2 tends to be fussy with its maintenance. The automatic mechanism is very complex, and a lot can go wrong with time. Little nylon gears that embrittle and crack, tiny rubber belts that crumble to dust, and elderly electronics that cease functioning correctly for no clear reason whatsoever. Maintenance-wise the 1600 MK2 is closer to a top-end vintage tape deck than a top-end turntable. But it sounds positively brilliant when set up correctly, and is a remarkable piece of engineering in its own right.

I'd go with an SL-1200 MK2, all things considered. But used examples are often former DJ platforms and are beat to hell because of it.
 
I'd go with an SL-1200 MK2, all things considered. But used examples are often former DJ platforms and are beat to hell because of it.

Ah, but you see, that's not the choice before the OP. He already has the 1600 MK2 (poor bugger;)) and asked whether he'd be better off with a 1200 "MK1". Assuming the 1600 is in good nick, I'm sticking with "no".

John
 
Yes, I am wrong based on your edit but my full statement isn't wrong.

The MK2 version of the SL-1600, 1700 and 1800 do use the same arm, same motor and same platter as the 1200 MK2. The only difference is that the 1600 has 9 holes in the platter for the LEDs to shine through.

You could look it up. ;)

John

I aware of that having, and owning all three but your statement was that there both suspended table which as i pointed out is wrong. As well all know the 1200 is defiantly not a suspended table.............
 
I aware of that having, and owning all three but your statement was that there both suspended table which as i pointed out is wrong. As well all know the 1200 is defiantly not a suspended table.............

No, I didn't say that. I said I like suspended tables. It's one reason why I prefer the 1600/1700/1800 to the 1200.

John
 
No, I didn't say that. I said I like suspended tables. It's one reason why I prefer the 1600/1700/1800 to the 1200.

John

No john you stated this

the 1200 MK2 and 1600 MK2 are the same so saying the the same is why i pointed out you were wrong.
And you added to it by saying you liked suspended tables inferring that the 1200MKII is a suspended table. or that's what a newbie would probably thought by reading it.

and I like the idea of suspended tables.

But what do i know I have two modded 1800MKII'as a 1700MKII and just sold my 1600MKII.
 
Back
Top Bottom