• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

That Grado Opus3 Cartridge

I have friends jazz musicians, whenever they hear Grado cartridge in my system they are amazed how realistic the sound of instruments is, with other cartridges not so much. That's the thing with Grado, if you know and value natural sound, and frequency listen to (small scale) live music, you will feel at home with Grado.
 
I have friends jazz musicians, whenever they hear Grado cartridge in my system they are amazed how realistic the sound of instruments is, with other cartridges not so much. That's the thing with Grado, if you know and value natural sound, and frequency listen to (small scale) live music, you will feel at home with Grado.
FWIW (which is probably not much....need a new acronym.... FWIWWIPNM), as a jazz musician by full-time trade and part-time small-scale recording engineer, I've always felt the same way about Grado's SR-60 headphones. Inexpensive, and really uncomfortable for long sessions, but the just sound natural. I can get decent quick mixes with them, and also use them for final master checks along with two other speaker systems. They sound more like my most natural sounding speaker system than my other 'phones (Beyerdynamic DT990 and DT990 Pro, 600ohm and 250ohm respectively). The Beyers are incredibly comfortable, and make for enjoyable listening... but somehow seem to "enhance" the sound rather than just reproduce it faithfully like the Grados.

I've never owned a Grado cartridge. Favorites have included Sumiko's BluePoint versions and a Pickering XS6000 (I think that was the model... my son has it right now). Maybe I should grab one.
 
I have a G1 with an 8MZ and it's not the equal in SQ of the older Reference Platinum so there's that.

I have several Prestige cartridges and when the Maidinator took out the Platinum the 8MZ was purchased thinking it would be a step up, it wasn't.

In my search I found my first NOS Grace cartridge, and as this was going on a Grace arm........ A few Grace later, some LOMC and the Platinum is still waiting for repair.

Whatever makes these wood body Grados so special is what it is, I say let's put a record on whatever we have and enjoy. :cool:

View attachment 2939823

View attachment 2939826
I have a statement reference and the Opus 3 even stock the Opus is better, retipped it is far better. What Grado did with the 3 was game changing
Chris
 
You guys are doing a good job spending my money :biggrin: . So, I am looking for a few opinions, one question HO or LO? :idea:

Picked up an AT VM540ML and a couple of months in I seem to still prefer my old Grado Prestige with the 8MZ stylus.
 
Unless you have a phono preamp with adjustable gain, suggest you get the high output version.
Thanks

I do. Mostly looking for opinions for or against either way.

I guess that's kind of a thread highjack :idea:

But at least it's on topic :thumbsup:

Edit: and I used opinions and not recommendations as it is an interweb site.
 
Last edited:
I have a head amp that I use with adjustable gain with my SAE, HOMC cart. 12db extra ,really wakes it up. Low output opus 3 is 1mv so I think it could benefit from the same or even more.
 
How much gain is ideal for the low output version Chris ?
My DNM is fine on the MM setting for thr low output version, but a friend needed extra gain with his phono pre. 1mv is a bit less than high output mc's, but quite high compared to low output MC's. If you are unsure go high output as it sounds good also.
Chris
 
They should not be. In my experience when there is hum there is hum high or low output. The only difference will be if thr phono stage is not quiet.
Chris
When I added the Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0 to my Thorens TD-160, my Opus3 slight hum completely disappeared! Have the high output Opus3.
 
They should not be. In my experience when there is hum there is hum high or low output. The only difference will be if thr phono stage is not quiet.
Chris
I have Rega P6 and both high and low output wood bodies. There is a huge difference in hum, low output is basically unusable without Humbucker, on high output hum is mostly hidden by vinyl noise (it is audible if needle is up in the air). On low outputs the proportion of stylus induced signal and hum interference is less favorable, the hum is less masked by the output.
 
Last edited:
Have the Statement Sonata 2 low output, has been used on 4 different tables and probably 6 arms and at least 3 different preamps without issue….wonder if anyone else has had hum issues?

It’s a fine cartridge and will get sent off for an upgrade when used up…..

VR
Andy
 
Last edited:
Have the Statement Sonata 2 low output, has been used it on 4 different tables and probably 6 arms and at least 3 different preamps without issue….wonder if anyone else has had hum issues?

It’s a fine cartridge and will get sent off for an upgrade when used up…..

VR
Andy
It's not such a big issue, most turntables are fine. Rega's with their glass platters (no shielding by platter at all) are problematic, as the motor is also close to the spindle and gets close to the cartridge at the end of the side.
 
I have Rega P6 and both high and low output wood bodies. There is a huge difference in hum, low output is basically unusable without Humbucker, on high output hum is mostly hidden by vinyl noise (it is audible if needle is up in the air). On low outputs the proportion of stylus induced signal and hum interference is less favorable, the hum is less masked by the output.
That is very strange, an unshielded low output coil should not pick up more hum than a bigger coil. I wonder of thee is more shielding paint on the high there is no other reason I can think of.
Chris
 
Back
Top Bottom