• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The first step is admitting I have a problem

ASPEC

Aspiring Auddict
Subscriber
My disease has taken a turn. You have three guesses to identify the cause and the first two don't count.

Sansui SP-200 001.jpg

Please help me, I can't help myself!

More info to come.



.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
You're going to re-do the xo's of your speaker?

Sorry guys. I thought someone would recognize the old sansui xo board and offer condolences to the latest victim lured in by pretty lattice work and walnut veneer only to suffer muddy sound for my curiosity.

All kidding aside, for $11 for the pair I could hardly go wrong. The entertainment value alone is worth it.
Sansui SP-200 012.jpg

The SP-200 xo pictured in the previous post is out of one speaker who's selector switch was so gummed up it did not function and no sound was coming from the tweeters. Cleaning the switch properly fixed it and the sound is much improved but still very muddy.

Searching in other posts revealed that most seem to get good to excellent results rebuilding/recapping the crossover.

Any help with a parts list and where to shop would be greatly appreciated.

My next question is are the surrounds on the woofers supposed to be concave or have the dried and shrank over the years? And while the cones on the woofers move freely (no scraping) they are very stiff. I'm guessing this may also contribute to less then crisp sound.

Sansui SP-200 006.jpgSansui SP-200 009.jpg

Can the driver's surrounds be replaced? Would a rubber or foam surround be okay or is a fabric surround required?

Lots of questions I know but thanks to all for your help with my first resto/rescue project. :thmbsp:


.
 
I have induced treated fabric surrounds to return to their original shape by gently heating them with a hair dryer.
 
I have induced treated fabric surrounds to return to their original shape by gently heating them with a hair dryer.

Outstanding idea! My wife's hair dryer and a very small canister vacuum cleaner have rescued many a pushed in tweeter or mid speaker cone.

Thank you!


.
 
Back
Top Bottom