• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Great Vinyl Experiment

Hey if you were gonna use a PF album, I'd suggest the Crossword Puzzle, being a PF fan that has to be the worst album the put out...just a bunch of odds and ends thrown together, the Notebook was better...but good test subject on cleaning vinyl...hmmm maybe you should've just tried it on a Scott Baio album I still see sealed copies of it at the SA or GW and they are there forever!!! LOL
 
Who'da thunk there were so many Partridge Family fans?

Anyway, a brief, slightly more sober analysis....

After several days I've examined the record closely. Despite my fear of Armor All being a dust grabber, there is no appreciable sign of dust, nor is there any filmy residue. It was very difficult to thoroughly get that **** off though, so I'd probably never use it again.

A brief yet excruciatingly tedious listen of the album reveals no obvious degradation in overall sound quality, so I think if any of these chemicals are truly detrimental to vinyl I would have heard it, since I left them on for four hours in undiluted concentrations. Just as an aside here, while I am certain I lack a "golden ear", I am a video editor by trade and I spend a lot of time listening for bad sound- I can hear 60hz hum when a power cord crosses a mic cable, when a forklift rumbles in the background of a voice over, a wireless mic whose transceiver battery is getting weak. I'm pretty sure if the signal got bad, I'd hear it....

The bottom line is that all three substances did a decent job of cleaning the album. Personally i'm sticking with water/alcohol/dawn because it is A) cheap, and I'm a cheap bastard and B) relatively mild and not likely to create any long term damage. The more expensive cleaners may work better (or not) but I don't think you'll harm your records with the DIY solution.

I won't use Windex simply because it has a known effect on Polycarbonate- if you use it on clear plastic the plastic will fog, and do so fairly quickly. It may not have any effect on PVC, but not worth the chance to me. If you do use it, I'd recommend a good rinse when you're done.

Armour All? Well it certainly made the record look pretty! Really hard to rinse off though, and while I don't feel any film left on it, I wouldn't swear that there isn't any there. I'm concerned what is there will muck up the stylus more than affect the vinyl itself.

So your friendly neighborhood drunken redneck recommends sticking either with the expensive cleaners OR a mild DIY blend, whichever makes you feel good about yourself since I doubt there is much difference between the two. You can be the audiophile "must preserve every atom of sound" type or you can be the cheap as$ "look what I bought and cleaned for only 25 cents" collector, as long as you are happy in your role.

Look for my next experiment on static control devices.....
 
Last edited:
Maybe the Cowsills albums would be a better choice to experiment on!!! LOL

Too late, I'm afraid. Luckily I've never noticed a lack of Partridge Family albums at the thrift stores...it wouldn't have matter *what* album I used, someone here would have complained!
 
Too late, I'm afraid. Luckily I've never noticed a lack of Partridge Family albums at the thrift stores...it wouldn't have matter *what* album I used, someone here would have complained!

Try some Yoko Ono. They won't raise a ruckus; they already are one!! :lmao:
 
Thanks for the run-down. Good work :) Never noticed a clouding on Windex cleaned LPs - but maybe I'm going blind? I'll look some more. Suspect it's only polycarbonate and not PVC, but will test myself by putting 1/2 old LP in container of Windex and letting it sit overnight, rinse and dry. I'll keep and eye on it for a week or two !! Will advise.
 
Too much is read into this stuff. It only sounds as good as (pick one) your source/amp/speakers. Heyzeus mutha feckin' crystals... do whatever floats your GD boat. If you want to spend $100 an ounce for purified holy water blessed by Lord Krell, that's fine. If you're happy with a beat to hell Partridge Family record cleaned by the tongue of your bulldog WTF difference does it really make? To me it is the music, the feelings it generates, that matters... and the people I'm with when I hear it or the people I think about when I hear certain songs, or the people who have shared music with me- people who say " I think you'll like this" or who have shared some good music and good times with me....
yea.....:ntwrthy:
Wisdom from my friend Eric. Perhaps the best rant ever.....


Bill
 
Last edited by a moderator:
After 40 years of not considering alcohol on my LPs, this thread made me decide to try it on a couple. I received a copy of Santana Lotus this week and side one had goo on the first cut. (I haven't been brave enough to try Goo Gone either but the name implies it might work.) And for the last 4 years my copy of Luck of the Draw has had some goo on "I Can't Make You Love Me."

I got out the Isopropyl and a Q-Tip. A little scrubbing and then the clean end, plus a distilled water rinse and a trip on the 16.5 . . . The goo is almost gone.

I am going to try it more carefully and play the two LPs today.

But all that to say thanks!!!!!!
 
Goo Gone, I've got a bunch of that... maybe I'll give it a try on whatever Oz is dropping off today!
 
Back
Top Bottom