• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Great Vinyl Experiment

I'd strongly consider burning the whole assembly, record and all, after your review is completed. But that's just me.

I'm thinking ebay... "Minty fresh Pioneer turntable, recently professionally lubricated and tuned, like new. These are all the shizzzle! Check out audiokarma.org to see how hot these things are! Cartirdige appears to be new and unused, but untested and because of the nature of vintage electronics, must be sold as is.""
 
Well, the results are in.....


As much as I would have liked for something to destroy this record, render it unplayable for all eternity, the simple truth is that nothing did, despite being left on for about 5 hours. Matter of fact, it sounded better after being cleaned with a paper towel, well rinsed with distilled water and dried with a basically lint free cloth than it did before I dumped all this sh*t on it. Not just a little better, a lot better. Well not the music, which couldn't be saved if Hayzeus himself wanted to, but the vinyl did!

Now for all you purists out there (hi markd51!) I am NOT recommending you use this stuff- not Windex, Armor All, certainly not carb cleaner! For mercy's sake use something feckin' normal- either real record cleaner or some a gentle DIY version. I suppose if you've got something really nasty on your vinyl you could use Windex or GooGone and rinse well without any major repercussions, but I sure as h*ll wouldn't use it for day to day use!!! Despite what it may seem (hi markd51!), I think that the less "sticky" residue leaving stuff you use, the better- although perhaps more for your stylus than the vinyl.

But this kind of begs the question- what will ruin vinyl? My test may not have been scientific (hi markd51!) but they are certainly good enough to prove that vinyl is remarkabley resiliant stuff- perhaps damaged more by pressure, scratches and heat than by chemicals. Maybe there will be long term unforseen damage, but I think the concentrations and durations it sat on the record should have done *something* obvious....

I'm a bit stumped guys... Any other chemicals you'd like me to give a try?

Oh, and if the folks at VPI and/or Dirt Doctor want to send me a demo.... I'm willing to test their stuff out as well!!! Hint, hint, hint......
 
Well, the results are in.....


As much as I would have liked for something to destroy this record, render it unplayable for all eternity, the simple truth is that nothing did, despite being left on for about 5 hours. Matter of fact, it sounded better after being cleaned with a paper towel, well rinsed with distilled water and dried with a basically lint free cloth than it did before I dumped all this sh*t on it. Not just a little better, a lot better. Well not the music, which couldn't be saved if Hayzeus himself wanted to, but the vinyl did!

Now for all you purists out there (hi markd51!) I am NOT recommending you use this stuff- not Windex, Armor All, certainly not carb cleaner! For mercy's sake use something feckin' normal- either real record cleaner or some a gentle DIY version. I suppose if you've got something really nasty on your vinyl you could use Windex or GooGone and rinse well without any major repercussions, but I sure as h*ll wouldn't use it for day to day use!!! Despite what it may seem (hi markd51!), I think that the less "sticky" residue leaving stuff you use, the better- although perhaps more for your stylus than the vinyl.

But this kind of begs the question- what will ruin vinyl? My test may not have been scientific (hi markd51!) but they are certainly good enough to prove that vinyl is remarkabley resiliant stuff- perhaps damaged more by pressure, scratches and heat than by chemicals. Maybe there will be long term unforseen damage, but I think the concentrations and durations it sat on the record should have done *something* obvious....

I'm a bit stumped guys... Any other chemicals you'd like me to give a try?

Oh, and if the folks at VPI and/or Dirt Doctor want to send me a demo.... I'm willing to test their stuff out as well!!! Hint, hint, hint......

Hello Justen, it gives me a warm feeling inside my friend knowing that you're thinking of me! ;-)

Perhaps there's truth in your words, in that maybe what we now try throwing at our vinyl isn't as big a detriment-threat, as what years of neglect done by other previous owners of much of this used vinyl has caused?

From bad fungus, and molds (or scratches as well), there's not a cleaner made in the world that erases this damage in some cases, and one then has to just relegate it to the garbage, rather than torture ours, or other's ears, and a good Cartridge.

I've tried cleaning vinyl on a few occasions which appeared to have paint specs on it. I read once, that Turpentine was suitable, and wouldn't harm the vinyl if used within a reasonably short time period?

Perhaps others could comment on this, and in fact, if you were looking for another good "test", with a horrible Partridge Family, Michael Bolton, Kenny G, or the like, you certainly wouldn't be offending me by sacrificing one of these for the cause! lol

I got a Chicago LP lying around here somewhere with paint I couldn't get off with any of my cleaners, so I might give it a try as well, and report back?
Mark
 
Hello Justen, it gives me a warm feeling inside my friend knowing that you're thinking of me! ;-)

I got a Chicago LP lying around here somewhere with paint I couldn't get off with any of my cleaners, so I might give it a try as well, and report back?
Mark

I do appreciate your intent to keep people from making a mistake in cleaning their vinyl, and I hope you have seen that my experiment is a curious pursuit to find out what does, and does not work, and that there are lots of myths in audio...

Turpentine? Maybe....

One of the things you've got to consider is the scarcity of the album and its condition. A Sun pressing of Elvis? Might not want to use carb cleaner.... OTOH, a Chicago album isn't particularly rare, so what would it hurt?

Still, I wouldn't use this stuff!!!
 
Good grief. Must drink more, and faster.

Waaay aheada' you guys. I been out eatin' (prime rib, portobello mushrooms), drinkin' (an excellent petite sirrah reserve) and dancin'(with my beautiful SO)...so why am I here talkin' records with you folks??? I promise I won't think of Milli Vanilli or the Cowsills for the rest of the evening.
 
But this kind of begs the question- what will ruin vinyl?
I'm a bit stumped guys... Any other chemicals you'd like me to give a try?

Oh, and if the folks at VPI and/or Dirt Doctor want to send me a demo.... I'm willing to test their stuff out as well!!! Hint, hint, hint......

Take it up a notch Emeril. Pool Acid (muratic), Gasoline, EZ-Off Oven Cleaner, Zip-Strip, Bleach, Ether, Vinegar/Baking Soda (careful-reactive), Garage Floor De-greaser, Weed killer.

Or, choose your weapon: http://solvdb.ncms.org/SOLV01.htm
 
I swear I'm sober...now I'm just driven with curiosity!

Next up, on the B side of the MV album...lacquer thinner. I'm hesitant to put any other chemicals on at this time, lest they combine into something even more toxic!

Let's see, I think I've got some naptha here somewhere, which is a great cleaning fluid....
 
Despite the fact I have been spuriously defamed (if that's possible at this point) by being accused of actually possessing a Milli Vanilli album, I LOVE this test.

With that in mind, I humbly offer kerosene (home heating fuel of choice in finer trailer parks everywhere), and high octane racing gasoline...
 
. . . I got a Chicago LP lying around here somewhere with paint I couldn't get off with any of my cleaners, so I might give it a try as well, and report back?
Mark

Mark, I tried the rubbing alcohol on a DCC LP and it sounded good. No problems with the groves. I used it quickly, one Q-Tip end, wiped with the other end, then rinsed and dried. And maybe Goo Gone, but I haven't tried it either. I'm not that brave to use it on a good LP.

Some paint will dissolve with alcohol, others not. But Chicago is worth salvaging.

Good luck.
 
Finally, we have a winner!

I'll never have to hear MV again! Lacquer thinner did it. You can a green cloud rising in the first photo. The second shows the the results of light rubbing with a paper towel and the third a gentle scrape with a rock, the vinyl has basically turned to mush!

So, vinyl has met its match! But its pretty tough stuff, I think that is the lesson learned, not nearly as delicate as some might have us think!
 

Attachments

  • lac1.jpg
    lac1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 155
  • lac2.jpg
    lac2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 160
  • lac3.jpg
    lac3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 154
Ahh, one less Lip Sync LP in the world to worry about, huh Justen?!

Well, here's an observation I made once about Lip Sync'ing!

Who was the world's first "Lip Sync Artist"?

It was Curly of the Three Stooges I believe, as Madamosielle Cucaracha, singing "Voices of Spring"
(Moe, and Larry of course were Senor Mucho, and Senor Gusto! lol)

Hilarious when the old man yanked the cord on Curly!
While Moe was spraying Curly's throat with the Atomizer, the woman asked "What's wrong, Laryngitis"?, and Moe said "Naw, fallen Arches!" ;-) Mark
 
Ahh, one less Lip Sync LP in the world to worry about, huh Justen?!

I had to find *something* that would prevent me from suffering that album again!

Glad to see you lightened up and stuck with me!!!!

Now go clean that Chicago LP!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom