• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The new budget speaker king?

Very true, a nice worthwhile exercise but still, no longer budget speakers. Not even close.:ntwrthy:
Enjoyed your posts on this one Zilch. I learned something.

agreed. thanks Zilch for all the posts. much appreciated! :banana:
 
Just finished the 3uF recap as originally recommended by Analog Addict and Farr Out. Installed 5% Daytons and glued (Household Goop) a piece of waffle foam mattress topper covering the back wall. Port is still open.

Much better highs. Not so sure about the mids. I am going back to Zilch's graphs to see what I'm hearing.

Can't wait to hear from X_25 as to his opinion.
 
:scratch2: I could have sworn I posted about the mod. Oh well.

Well I did all four of them without a hitch, the highs are defently better, they no longer sound like they are under watter. I still need to track down so wire to make some inductors, but that is pretty far down the list because the speakers will now suffice for what I need them for (surround speakers). Next on my list of things to do is to rebuild my projector. 4 lumens just isn't bright enough. :no:
 
When Ray gets back, y'all might convince him to sweeten this. There remains a bit of rising response in the woofer, which could be flattened with an additional step compensation or broadband notch filter, bringing up the LF response a couple of dB.... :thmbsp:

Errmm...thanks for the vote of confidence there. I don't know how much more there is to be done. A conjugate on the woofer might help level out the response a little but I doubt that the results would be worth the expense unless you happen to have the right values on hand. And using a shaping filter to subjectively bring up the bass by pulling down everything else would drop the efficiency into the basement, assuming you're measuring at 1W (or 2.83V). Without having monster power handling a low efficiency would be a killer in that thing as the distortion would be huge as you push it to the limit.

FWIW, when I saw the first set of curves my first thought was to drop the woofer off a whole bunch lower and use the tweeter as low as possible. In other words, I'm not adding anything here as you guys already did that.

Back to sleep for me, gotta sleep off the trip.

Ray
 
Thanks, Ray, and welcome back!

What I hope everybody ultimately got is that the whole deal was apparent in those initial curves -- what it is, why it is that, and how to upgrade it.

I have one final iteration to post; I got the LF down another 5 Hz to 45 with a different JBL woofer. Just have to put a bit more damping in and verify the measurements, is all.... :thmbsp:
 
Zilch, I see you used an iron core inductor in your mod. Would an air core with the same value do as well or would it be too big physically?
 
Zilch, I see you used an iron core inductor in your mod. Would an air core with the same value do as well or would it be too big physically?
Either would be fine; just keep the DCR low, i.e., larger gauge wire. Looking back, I spec'd an air core, actually. Lower DCR "I" core is the same price.

There are some suggestions that more resistance in series with the woofer will lower its Fs and might improve the bass response, but I am not versed in that approach. Gordon or Ray will know about that. I just go for low DCR intuitively to maintain amp damping factor.... :dunno:
 
O.K., here's my Uber-Presidian using JBL 706G-1 and Tang Band, with the same crossover. Closed-box, they get down to 45 Hz, and at 1/4 the size, kick AR4x butt quite handily, TYVM:
 

Attachments

  • 706G-1 Tang Band.jpg
    706G-1 Tang Band.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 706G-1 Tang Band MLS.jpg
    706G-1 Tang Band MLS.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Presidian 706G-1.jpg
    Presidian 706G-1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 67
O.K., here's my Uber-Presidian using JBL 706G-1 and Tang Band, with the same crossover, closed-box. They get down to 45 Hz, and at 1/4 the size, kick AR4x butt handily:

I have a pair of AR 4X and that's quite a statement.
 
I have a pair of AR 4X and that's quite a statement.
Well, subject to verification, of course. ;)

Those woofers are available new from Harman Consumer for $108 apiece, BUT, you might find something similar in PE listings, or real ones, used, uhmm, you know where to look.... :thmbsp:
 
Well, subject to verification, of course. ;)

Those woofers are available new from Harman Consumer for $108 apiece, BUT, you might find something similar in PE listings, or real ones, used, uhmm, you know where to look.... :thmbsp:

Well lets see now. My original $15.00 budget speakers are now approaching the vicinity of $300.00. My AR 4X's cost me $50.00 in exceptional shape. So I think I'll come close enough with just 4.7 uF Dayton caps, 1 mH air coils and a little fiberfill for a total of $20.94 both speakers shipped. LOL.
 
Zilch, just a question on the inductor value in your Presidian mod (or more accurately my budget mod. of the Zilch mod). If I used a 1 mH inductor on the woofer wouldn't that take it down a bit too much, to about 1500 Hz, even though it's a 1st order crossover? Would I hear a hole in the mid range?
 
Indeed, you cannot take the component values of a 2nd-order crossover and use them 1st-order.

Look in the crossover component selection charts in the PE catalog for a 1st-order approximation of what I have done. You'll have to expand the lowpass chart up into the range of interest.

OR, just buy the additional components you need to do the full 2nd-order ZilchMod....
 
Indeed, you cannot take the component values of a 2nd-order crossover and use them 1st-order.

Look in the crossover component selection charts in the PE catalog for a 1st-order approximation of what I have done. You'll have to expand the lowpass chart up into the range of interest.

OR, just buy the additional components you need to do the full 2nd-order ZilchMod....

Looks like I would need a 0.20 mH inductor and a 3.3 uF capacitor for a 1st order crossover.
 
Looks like I would need a 0.20 mH inductor and a 3.3 uF capacitor for a 1st order crossover.
I'm looking at the highpass chart in the PE catalog, 12 dB/octave, 8 ohms, and my 4.7 uF/0.5 mH seems to be in the 3000 - 3500 Hz range, which is 5.7 - 6.6 uF for first order, 6 dB/octave. Frankly, since we're working close to the lower limit of that tweeter, I'd probably use 5.1 or 5.6 uF (maybe even your suggested 4.7 uF) to start.

Then, moving over to the lowpass chart, 3 kHz is going to be 1/10 what is required for 300 Hz, so 0.425 mH, or 0.319 mH for 4 kHz, no? But, looking back at the response curve and recognizing that it's woofer nasties we're trying to shut down, and that there's plenty of them in that region (a peak at 4.5 kHz for starters,) I might take it as low as 2.5 kHz with 0.509 mH (0.5) and see how that sounded.... :yes:

attachment.php
 
I'm looking at the highpass chart in the PE catalog, 12 dB/octave, 8 ohms, and my 4.7 uF/0.5 mH seems to be in the 3000 - 3500 Hz range, which is 5.7 - 6.6 uF for first order, 6 dB/octave. Frankly, since we're working close to the lower limit of that tweeter, I'd probably use 5.1 or 5.6 uF (maybe even your suggested 4.7 uF) to start.

Then, moving over to the lowpass chart, 3 kHz is going to be 1/10 what is required for 300 Hz, so 0.425 mH, or 0.319 mH for 4 kHz, no? But, looking back at the response curve and recognizing that it's woofer nasties we're trying to shut down, and that there's plenty of them in that region (a peak at 4.5 kHz for starters,) I might take it as low as 2.5 kHz with 0.509 mH (0.5) and see how that sounded.... :yes:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76541&d=1
201547069

A 4.7 uF cap would take the tweeter down to slightly below 4000 Hz. Can it go that far down without accumulative damage? Don't think I'd want to limit the woofer to less than 3500 Hz using a 0.38 mH coil. The shallow roll off of 6 db slope might just seamlessly connect the woofer and tweeter. What do you thikk?
 
What 3.3 uF does is shown in my most recent post (Cyan).

Consider also that the tweeter impedance is not 8 Ohms in the region of interest here:

attachment.php


Perhaps you'd feel safer with 4.3 uF? :dunno:

Again, you're wrestling with dilemmas that are best resolved via going 2-pole, in my view....
 
What 3.3 uF does is shown in my most recent post (Cyan).

Consider also that the tweeter impedance is not 8 Ohms in the region of interest here:

attachment.php


Perhaps you'd feel safer with 4.3 uF? :dunno:

Again, you're wrestling with dilemmas that are best resolved via going 2-pole, in my view....

Oh you are absolutely right about it best being resolve by a 2 pole. But I refuse to commit these budget speakers to the higher priced variety, even if they sounded better. I've got plenty of small speakers that sound better. My local Thrift store has a pair of Baby Advent II's, surrounds intact, for $30.00. Better deal all around. Maybe I'll go buy them. I've never heard a pair although I once had one of their big brothers, the Advent Legacy. Zilch, thanks again for letting me pick your brain.
 
Back
Top Bottom