• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Things not looking good for Onkyo / Pioneer

Register to hide this ad
I honestly dont know what the AV market is segmented into these days. Who owns what part of the pie?

Sorry to see these two familiar names go. I havent owned either one in decades.

I do own a couple of Yamaha sound bars, which have been exceptional.
 
That's not what the article says. And according to the Voxx website, Onkyo is a partner. That doesn't mean that they're in a strong market position.

NO AV company is a strong company. Yamaha the real exception (as they're still under much more stable ownership). Voxx is aka Klipsch Group as they're co-owned. And yes, partners. SoundBars are taking over that aspect of the market.
 
Sad situation Onkyo was the closest to my beloved Sansui and if anyone knows what Voxx did to Acoustic Research we should have a Memorial Service for Onkyo
 
NO AV company is a strong company. Yamaha the real exception (as they're still under much more stable ownership). Voxx is aka Klipsch Group as they're co-owned. And yes, partners. SoundBars are taking over that aspect of the market.
Well HK may be doing ok, but they have Samsung money behind them.
 
I had a big Onkyo Av reciever the Tx-989 it worked and sounded great but the the promised downloadable upgrades and customer support ended after 3 yrs.I was pissed.
 
My 2009 Integra DTC-9.8 AV Processor/preamp is pushing 12 years old and working strong.
7.x with older HDMI and no Atmos, but a pleasure otherwise

Integra is a subdivision of the Japanese manufacturer Onkyo, making a complete line of electronics consisting
of home theater receivers or AV receiver, CD player, DVD player and Blu-ray player.

Onkyo has reached an agreement with Klipsch owner, Voxx International Corp to replace Onkyo USA. ...
But the entity formerly known as Onkyo USA Corporation is no more, ending a 45-year run as Onkyo's
exclusive sales, marketing and distribution division for the Americas, effective July 29, 2020
 
Last edited:
Covid, shipping, China politics are all really taking a toll on the AV industry as a whole. Most AVR’s are 6-10 weeks out on back order. Everything is getting hard to get. Chip sets are gone too.
 
My strong advice is to support Marantz/Denon or Yamaha. I think soon we’ll see the end of a number of brands. They can’t get the parts, the shipping is outrageous and distribution is collapsing at unprecedented speeds.
 
Question: how is supporting Marantz/Denon (both brands that currently belong to Sound United, which also owns Polk Audio and Definitive Technologies) any different than supporting Onkyo coming out of this change of ownership?

Just to be clear, it was mentioned above in places but VOXX already has Klipsch in the company brand portfolio and has been handling the distribution of Onkyo product here in the Americas, along with Integra and the Pioneer/Pioneer Elite brands since the middle of 2020. Onkyo has handled distribution fo Klipsch in Japan since 2019 so this is has been a beneficial ongoing relationship, not something that just came up.

The takeaway should be another venerable brand being kept alive as opposed to the doors closed forever, but as usual the gloom and doom outlook tends to prevail when this kind of news comes out.

John


My strong advice is to support Marantz/Denon or Yamaha. I think soon we’ll see the end of a number of brands. They can’t get the parts, the shipping is outrageous and distribution is collapsing at unprecedented speeds.
 
The article mentions Sharp Electronics. I thought they were long gone. Apparently, gone just fm the U.S.

The electronics business is clearly going thru serious change - I don't think this is anything new.
Will be interesting to see how it all settles out.

Its a shame to see once mighty brands reduced to mere marketing tools but it happens in lots of industries.
I wonder how many freezer factories or how many washing machine factories there are in the world - then compare that to the number of brands.
I think we'll see that there's not nearly as much competition in the consumer sectors as we might assume.
 
iu
 
Question: how is supporting Marantz/Denon (both brands that currently belong to Sound United, which also owns Polk Audio and Definitive Technologies) any different than supporting Onkyo coming out of this change of ownership?

Just to be clear, it was mentioned above in places but VOXX already has Klipsch in the company brand portfolio and has been handling the distribution of Onkyo product here in the Americas, along with Integra and the Pioneer/Pioneer Elite brands since the middle of 2020. Onkyo has handled distribution for Klipsch in Japan since 2019 so this is has been a beneficial ongoing relationship, not something that just came up.

The takeaway should be another venerable brand being kept alive as opposed to the doors closed forever, but as usual the gloom and doom outlook tends to prevail when this kind of news comes out.

John
I gave my advice for many reasons. 1) I don’t have brand loyalty so I don’t have to go down with the ship. 2) Onkyo HDMI switching historically has had way too many service and warranty issues. 3) Because they have lost money for so long, they have not kept up with R&D and are now behind. 4) They lost their distribution and support for my entire industry. I don’t know of a single distributor in my industry that represents them who’s left. 5) The “rumor” is they are closing their doors in spite of the press intent to find cash flow with a buyer. 6) My clients have had very very bad experiences with Onkyo and Integra, the name is a huge negative in my circle. My previous employer who sold 100’s of AVR per year had only one other product with more warranty issues and that was Anthem. 7) You can’t get product, they have no reserves of inventory, not what you need to support clients. 8) Who will warranty them now if for some odd reason you could even get one?

I could keep going, but here’s the hurtful one you really won’t like, they don’t sound as good as Marantz Denon or even Yamaha, heck I’d take Sony over Onkyo at this time.

I do understand your loyalty though. There was a time when they made competitive nice sounding gear. Their downfall began with HDMI switching and new processing. No doubt they are capable engineers who maybe could one day sort out their issues, but I’m not gambling to see if by some miracle they make it and honor their past poorly made units.
 
Ok, fair enough... though all of that appears to pre-date the most recent announcement. Sounds like their ship had sailed for you well before VOXX's letter of intent came into the picture, and that's fine.

Although I have had a couple of pieces of vintage Integra equipment I liked, I don't have any particular brand loyalty involved with my response. I have however worked for both companies involved with the three brands: Directed was part of the DEI Holdings organization and I was there (working in the automotive division) for 20+ years, went through the whole "evil empire" routine every time we were involved with an acquisition including Clifford, ADST (PPI, Orion, a/d/s/), Polk Audio, Definitive etc. though by the latter parts of that most of the noise about us buying brands so we could cut costs and cash in on their reputation while selling cheaper new models wasn't happening as often or as loudly. Directed was acquired last summer by VOXX so I'm now part of that company involved with the Onkyo deal though I have zero to do with that part of the business.

So, my view of this comes from having been directly involved in two such changes of ownership (once on the buying side, the second on the bought side - which is very different let me tell you!) and then later on the sidelines of a number of deals that all had some things in common: they kept brands alive, kept employees employed (at least initially, inevitably that changes over time but the good acquisitions keep the good employees in the picture for as long as they'll stay around), and generally seemed to me to be a good thing. Maybe not as good as the original brand owners running the company for ever and ever and never changing anything they made that you liked, but when was that the world we live in?

John
 
Back
Top Bottom