• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens owners group

Visited Audio Classics this morning. Thought folks here might enjoy this picture. Believe that is a record changer on the left.View attachment 3036056
Kool:cool:
Thorens TD224. Cam operated robotics. It places the record to the platter, plays it through, then picks it up and stores it off to the left, while with the other arm, placing another record on the spinning platter, then cues the arm and drops stylus into the lead-in groove. It can hold several records, but only one resides on the platter at any one time. Thus VTA is not affected by this record changer.

-Steve
 
Never thought it would happen!!! But I was in the right place (sort of) right time, and most important cash in hand from recent sales

Spotted this on marketplace for $1k without arm or arm board.
I mentioned to the seller that it’s too bad he was so far away. I’m in southern NH and he is in the Watertown area of New York.

I asked if he was flexible on price and immediately dropped the price to $800!!!

Yesterday I finally remembered to ask if it worked or if anything was missing…everything works and he has the aboard and arm and toke me he would bring it with him when we meet up.

We meet at the Walmart parking lot in Utica he pulled out the arm with a shure V15VxMR.
The arm was bent right in front of the gimbal, but still has all the original paperwork and box for it. He threw it in as part of the deal!!!

I don’t know what I did to deserve this but thank you Mark you made my yearIMG_7853.jpegIMG_7854.jpeg
 
Never thought it would happen!!! But I was in the right place (sort of) right time, and most important cash in hand from recent sales

Spotted this on marketplace for $1k without arm or arm board.
I mentioned to the seller that it’s too bad he was so far away. I’m in southern NH and he is in the Watertown area of New York.

I asked if he was flexible on price and immediately dropped the price to $800!!!

Yesterday I finally remembered to ask if it worked or if anything was missing…everything works and he has the aboard and arm and toke me he would bring it with him when we meet up.

We meet at the Walmart parking lot in Utica he pulled out the arm with a shure V15VxMR.
The arm was bent right in front of the gimbal, but still has all the original paperwork and box for it. He threw it in as part of the deal!!!

I don’t know what I did to deserve this but thank you Mark you made my yearView attachment 3153106View attachment 3153107

Congrats!! Is that Grace arm the one that was included? Because it looks fine to me. Congrats again on the great find!
 
Never thought it would happen!!! But I was in the right place (sort of) right time, and most important cash in hand from recent sales

Spotted this on marketplace for $1k without arm or arm board.
I mentioned to the seller that it’s too bad he was so far away. I’m in southern NH and he is in the Watertown area of New York.

I asked if he was flexible on price and immediately dropped the price to $800!!!

Yesterday I finally remembered to ask if it worked or if anything was missing…everything works and he has the aboard and arm and toke me he would bring it with him when we meet up.

We meet at the Walmart parking lot in Utica he pulled out the arm with a shure V15VxMR.
The arm was bent right in front of the gimbal, but still has all the original paperwork and box for it. He threw it in as part of the deal!!!

I don’t know what I did to deserve this but thank you Mark you made my yearView attachment 3153106View attachment 3153107

Welcome to the TD 124 club, they are extraordinary tables, and will keep playing for many generations to come with the proper care, it’s an heirloom :thumbsup:

Andy
 
TD 160 After refresh. Before picture below. Deck needed a lot more work than seller disclosed but I knew that would be the case, (and is half the fun) of buying vintage. New MDF plinth, new RCAs, new belt, fully cleaned and setup, fancy spiked feet (mostly because I can use them to level), polished cover (3” foam pads and 3M Finesse It to cut, Meguiars Mirror Glaze to polish), and finally fitted a VM95ML.

I have to say, this deck takes a lot of time and learning to get fully setup. The spring suspension is not easy to adjust and keep everything level, didn’t help that the MDF cover I bought didn’t have the correct holes or wide enough ones. I love the VM95ML but it so unforgiving, esp with older weathered vinyl. If that cart isn’t dead on, it lets you know. Yet it is completely worth it. It came with a Shure V15 III - not a great match, I may still look into another cart at some point.

Running into an original and restored ST70 and PAS 3x. Loving the deck so far.

IMG_0447.jpegIMG_0446.jpeg
 
The arm is a new Michell TA-3 from Dave at Vinyl Nirvana, which I believe is the same as the RB330. The table sounds amazing!!!!!
 
I recently got a td 126 for a fair price. First thing i noticed was the chassis had zero bounce. It seemed like the springs were overly compressed. The seller was marvelling at the sound quality and told me that the “bounciness” didn’t really have an effect on the music for as long as the turntable was placed on a solid rack and was not prone to foot falls. Anyway, i decided to replinth, and since i basically dismantled the table, i decided to check on the springs as well. I got the sub chassis to bounce nicely and evenly and i think it now sounds better - more bass, more “air”, better separation…basically a much improved performer compared to when i got it first. Perhaps its the springs adjustment, or maybe the solid wood plinth? Does this make sense? Better spring suspension = better isolation = better reproduction of the music? In any case, I’m a happy camper with my new TD126 MKIII. IMG_0761.jpegIMG_0760.jpegIMG_0753.jpeg
 
I recently got a td 126 for a fair price. First thing i noticed was the chassis had zero bounce. It seemed like the springs were overly compressed. The seller was marvelling at the sound quality and told me that the “bounciness” didn’t really have an effect on the music for as long as the turntable was placed on a solid rack and was not prone to foot falls. Anyway, i decided to replinth, and since i basically dismantled the table, i decided to check on the springs as well. I got the sub chassis to bounce nicely and evenly and i think it now sounds better - more bass, more “air”, better separation…basically a much improved performer compared to when i got it first. Perhaps its the springs adjustment, or maybe the solid wood plinth? Does this make sense? Better spring suspension = better isolation = better reproduction of the music? In any case, I’m a happy camper with my new TD126 MKIII. View attachment 3337249View attachment 3337250View attachment 3337251
Beautiful table! What I can tell you is I tried adjusting the springs in my TD125MkII and compressed the springs because the table was too softly sprung, or so I thought, and I screwed up the sound of the table... I effectively wiped out the bottom end, while the mids and highs were unaffected... :(
 
I recently got a td 126 for a fair price. First thing i noticed was the chassis had zero bounce. It seemed like the springs were overly compressed. The seller was marvelling at the sound quality and told me that the “bounciness” didn’t really have an effect on the music for as long as the turntable was placed on a solid rack and was not prone to foot falls. Anyway, i decided to replinth, and since i basically dismantled the table, i decided to check on the springs as well. I got the sub chassis to bounce nicely and evenly and i think it now sounds better - more bass, more “air”, better separation…basically a much improved performer compared to when i got it first. Perhaps its the springs adjustment, or maybe the solid wood plinth? Does this make sense? Better spring suspension = better isolation = better reproduction of the music? In any case, I’m a happy camper with my new TD126 MKIII. View attachment 3337249View attachment 3337250View attachment 3337251
I always though the TD 126 was one of the coolest looking tables ever made. Never seen one in person. Congrats!
 
I recently got a td 126 for a fair price. First thing i noticed was the chassis had zero bounce. It seemed like the springs were overly compressed. The seller was marvelling at the sound quality and told me that the “bounciness” didn’t really have an effect on the music for as long as the turntable was placed on a solid rack and was not prone to foot falls. Anyway, i decided to replinth, and since i basically dismantled the table, i decided to check on the springs as well. I got the sub chassis to bounce nicely and evenly and i think it now sounds better - more bass, more “air”, better separation…basically a much improved performer compared to when i got it first. Perhaps its the springs adjustment, or maybe the solid wood plinth? Does this make sense? Better spring suspension = better isolation = better reproduction of the music? In any case, I’m a happy camper with my new TD126 MKIII. View attachment 3337249View attachment 3337250View attachment 3337251
That is one fantastic looking turntable, glad you got it sounding great!!
 
I have never officially joined the group even though I have owned a Thorens since the early 60's. Started with a TD 111 with a 9 inch Ortofo togethern arm. Then changed to a Grado arm, but it warped being made out of wood and then on to the three SME arms. Some where in the arm changing routene I switched to a TD 121. I wanted a 124 but the steel platter and my MC Ortofon cartridges with the very strong magnets didn't work well together smashing the stylus and cantilever . I was getting tired of the rumble of the 121 and was disgusted when I saw an Empire 598 and a little AR turntable out perform my Thorens. But fortunately Thorens introduced the TD 125 and I got the first one to come Texas. Helps to know the rep real well and order one 6 months before anyone else did. I tried many different arms on the 125 and settled on the Rabco SL8E as it allowed the best performance from my Ortofon MC cartridges at the time. I still have the 125 but belts are becoming problem with some other nose issues. If I had the room I would try a TD 124 DD, but the prices have gone crazy since the introduction and I don't like the arm. I'm thinking about a SME 6 but would prefer a 15, or a Technics SL 1200 G. I like the idea of the stylus light for sure. But I won't buy till I get to touch, feel and hear them perform with one of my spare HO 20 X 2 Dynavectors. When the time comes what ever I choose will be used with a XX 2 MK II or XX-2 A Dynavector. I installed 1200's from thir beginnings in commercial and entertainment systems. So I am well aware of their short comings. But the later models of the early 90s were fantastic. Here again if I had had the space I would have had a SL 1000 MK III in the Obsidian bass but with a SME arm. prices were much more reasonable back then and I was still working.
 
Back
Top Bottom