• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens owners group

Does anyone know of a USA source for the Thorens vinyl brush with goat hair? I've only been able to find suppliers in Europe.
Thanks.

Thorens.jpg
 
Platter polishing, has anyone used a sandflex block to do that with? I'm getting some of these blocks for another use but thought it may work well on the ol platter. Good idea or bad?
 
Good question. I absolutely need that arm to lift at the end of a side. It's kinda like I need a remote volume control.
 
Platter polishing, has anyone used a sandflex block to do that with? I'm getting some of these blocks for another use but thought it may work well on the ol platter. Good idea or bad?
Give them a try, nothing to lose if you test them where it doesn’t show. The challenge is making deeper scratches that will be harder to refine to an acceptable level of polish in just 2 steps of grit. You may not like the results and then have to start over to do it right.

If you want a near to mirror polish you’ll have to put in the work. Might as well do it right. See my earlier posts in this thread. The photo links are broken, so …

Before
IMG_2522.jpeg

After
IMG_5085.jpeg
 
I have polished mine some but not to a mirror like finish, not sure I want that. The reason I posted about the sandflex is that I read someone had used one on a silver faced amp that needed a good cleaning and it really worked well. That tells you how unabrasive they are, it didn't affect the lettering on the amp face and the finished product looked great, very clean. My platter is a bit streaky, splotchy, not uniform but not too bad so I may try the block to make it more uniform. I'll try an area on the top first to see what it can do. They were ordered from Amazon, a set of 3 sandflex blocks of differing abrasive. Sandflex Sanding Block - 3 Pack, Sanding Blocks - Amazon Canada
 
Last edited:
I have polished mine some but not to a mirror like finish, not sure I want that. The reason I posted about the sandflex is that I read someone had used one on a silver faced amp the needed a good cleaning and it really worked well. That tells you how unabrasive they are, it didn't affect the lettering on the amp face and the finished product looked great, very clean. My platter is a bit streaky, splotchy, not uniform but not too bad so I may try the block to make it more uniform. I'll try an area on the top first to see what it can do. They were ordered from Amazon, a set of 3 sandflex blocks of differing abrasive. Sandflex Sanding Block - 3 Pack, Sanding Blocks - Amazon Canada
Let us know please.
 
I continue to struggle to adjust the suspension on my TD-160, after a couple of hours of fussing with it my hope is someone here can advise me on how to proceed. No matter where I go with the tension, there is virtually no bounce whatsoever. I have the platter loaded with a record and stabilizer, and when I push down to check the bounce it basically just returns directly back to it's original position.

The springs are new, having just arrived yesterday from Vinyl Nivarna, and the turntable is "almost" level. The spring closes to the tonearm pivot is very compressed, the adjusting nut is so far up that about 12mm of the mounting rod is showing below the nut. Even with that, I can not get that area of the platter as high as the other areas. The adjusting nut closes to the armrest is barely turned onto the rod, another tread or two lower and the nut would come off.

I'm thinking that it must be user error and I am missing something obvious, any suggestions on how I might proceed?
 
Make sure nothing binds the sub-chassis, nothing like hard, tough wiring or stupid sticky automotive bitumen damping sheets.

Watch this first part by @ddarch from VN:


and then the second part, paying attention to the part about the weak side of the springs.

 
Make sure nothing binds the sub-chassis, nothing like hard, tough wiring or stupid sticky automotive bitumen damping sheets.

Watch this first part by @ddarch from VN:


and then the second part, paying attention to the part about the weak side of the springs.

I viewed each of Dave's videos, actually this was the second time that I viewed them, and I did not come across anything that gives me a hint as to what is going on. I did find one spring assembly, the one closes to the motor, where the rubber grommet that installs on the plate, was not flush. Resetting it did not make any difference whatsoever. So I'm still stuck, without either platter installed, it is surprising how much pressure it takes to push the assembly down. When I then install both platters the assembly barely deflects downward, is that normal? I'll get a fresh start in the morning, walking through the procedure to see if something clicks.
 
Iirc mine is almost fully raised to the point of locking the suspension without the platter.

Doesn't sound right.
 
When I then install both platters the assembly barely deflects downward, is that normal?
Not at all. Can you show some good pictures of the sub-chassis and springs? Maybe someone's eye will catch something out of the ordinary. There's gotta be something.
 
Not at all. Can you show some good pictures of the sub-chassis and springs? Maybe someone's eye will catch something out of the ordinary. There's gotta be something.
I've taken several close up photos, will try to attach here along with 2 very short videos showing what happens when I push down and then release the platter. There is one thing that I noticed that seems odd, the sub chassis is flush with the chassis only at certain points. You can clearly see in the photos that in the area along the back, close to the tonearm pivot, that I can easily insert a 7mm wrench in the gap. Coming around from there towards the front and the chassis and sub chassis are flush with one another. Note that the wrench freely fits in the gap, it is not holding the two open.

Here are the two short videos: Video 1 - Video 2
 

Attachments

  • Gap with Wrench.jpeg
    Gap with Wrench.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Motor Side.jpeg
    Motor Side.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Tonearm Side.jpeg
    Tonearm Side.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Motor Area.jpeg
    Motor Area.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Entire Bottom View.jpeg
    Entire Bottom View.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 16
  • Gap.jpeg
    Gap.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 16
Not a good one to ask since I've never done this but wrong springs? Are there different types for different models? And the video says I need to ask for permission.
 
Not a good one to ask since I've never done this but wrong springs? Are there different types for different models? And the video says I need to ask for permission.
I had the same issue last week, that was with the original springs, I ordered the new ones to see if that would solve the problem. These are from Dave at Vinyl Nivarna, I can only assume that they are correct. The video permission thing should be fixed now, let me know if you have continued problems.
 
Back
Top Bottom