• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Top three vintage power amps, submit your votes

I think in part historical significance should play into a listing of top vintage power amps, but OTOH it's fiendishly difficult to choose only 3. :) Also, the distinct eras of these critters almost mandates breaking them down into SS and tube categories, especially since I can't see how a list of top vintage power amplifiers could be complete without the legendary McIntosh tube amps like the MC-275 or any of the monoblocks.

I dunno...Pioneer SPEC-2 (Bob Carver did good with this one), Dynaco ST-70, McIntosh MC-275? Really, really hard to choose...there are so many really great units to pick from like the Kenny 700M and others, not to mention David Hafler's SS gear or the Crown DC-300A, which has a secure spot in audio history (and still brings home the bacon for many a musician to this day.)

Todd in Cheesecurdistan
 
. . . since I can't see how a list of top vintage power amplifiers could be complete without the legendary McIntosh tube amps like the MC-275 or any of the monoblocks. . . .

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

I agree with just about everything in his post but most especially the Mac tube power amps.

Never owned one, would have liked to. (I know they sound great, I've heard many!)
 
Some may think I am going out on a limb but I have owned many amps ranging from Carver, Fischer, Sherwood, McIntosh and Dynaco and also listening to many others through out the years. In a blind listening test my DYNACO 400 to me sounds the most musical...just my opinion!
 
Some may think I am going out on a limb but I have owned many amps ranging from Carver, Fischer, Sherwood, McIntosh and Dynaco and also listening to many others through out the years. In a blind listening test my DYNACO 400 to me sounds the most musical...just my opinion!

Here is another vote for a James Bongiorno design. (SAE Mk IIIC and Ampzilla are)
 
In keeping this just to amps I have, or have recently owned:

1. Phase Linear D-500 - Way more power than I can use, but easily capable of handling any speakers I have ever owned (sadly, just sold).

2. Yamaha M-2 - The new kid in town, drives speakers with ease. I can live without the extra 3 - 4 decibels the PL could deliver.

3. Matching pair of Crown 150A's in mono mode - Used to drive the low end on my RTR electrostatics. They could probably handle everything, but the RTRs have custom built in amps for the high end.

On the horizon:

A matching pair of Bogen M200As that are just waiting to be refurbished. Plus I have full tube complements for both.
 
A matching pair of Bogen M200As that are just waiting to be refurbished. Plus I have full tube complements for both.
That's the one that uses 8417's, isn't it? I always liked the serious look of those. A local guy had something like 10 of them, but I could never shake any loose.
 
Too many to list.:yes: Some greats, Macintosh, Phase linear, Crown, Krell, Levinson, Pioneer, Carver etc so one and so forth!!:D
 
Having owned many over the years I will paint a broad brush.

G.A.S.
Yamaha
S.A.E.

Thats my story and I am stickin to it.
 
Going only on what I've owned (not alot) I have to say:

Adcom GFA555
Heathkit AR1500A
Altec 710
 
I'm liking my Marantz 250, but I don't have the range of experience with different power amps that many here do.

No one has mentioned Onkyo...M-504, M-508, M-3090, etc. and other similar models. I've never heard any of these but they have some fans. I think dr*audio has an M-508.

How does the Technics SE-A5 stack up? I see posts where people rave about the giant meters and how the amp LOOKS but how does it SOUND?

Final question...do more "modern" power amps differ much in sound from the "vintage" amps mentioned here? I know this can't be answered in yes/no terms- it is a continuum from "vintage" to "modern" with no specific cut-off date, but some general impressions would be interesting to hear.
 
I bought a Behringer EP-2500 and have it in as my main amp driving my Infinity Kappa 8.2i Series II's. This is a VERY good sounding amplifier, probably the best sounding amp I own, it's 450 watts x2 at 8 ohms, 700 x2 at four ohms and 1200 watts x2 at 2 ohms.

It's not vintage but it is very musical, neutral, transparent, and powerful sounding... :)
 
I think it is interesting mentioning something like s Dyna st 70 in the same post as a Dyna st400 or any vintage super amp. They are as different as night and day.
 
Power amp choices

Hello everybody, I can't believe nobody mentioned a Sony TA-N7B an Altec 9440A and Altec 9446A and also the venerable Yamaha B2 in the lot would be nice... I have half of these models and they rock... :yes::banana::tresbon::thmbsp:

I liked many of the other brands too but I'm a bit biased... :D

Happy listening to all :music:

Maurice442
 
I have three power amps which I like a lot and all of which are quite affordable second-hand. My personal favorites right now:

Nikko Alpha 440
Marantz Model 170 DC
Proton D1200
 
Back
Top Bottom