• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Top three vintage power amps, submit your votes

I bought a Behringer EP-2500 and have it in as my main amp driving my Infinity Kappa 8.2i Series II's. This is a VERY good sounding amplifier, probably the best sounding amp I own, it's 450 watts x2 at 8 ohms, 700 x2 at four ohms and 1200 watts x2 at 2 ohms.

It's not vintage but it is very musical, neutral, transparent, and powerful sounding... :)

That may be true, but it's certainly not a vintage amplifier. Heck, it's not even an original design- it's a QSC RMX2450 clone.
 
From my experience I would have to say:
Holman Apt 1
Kenwood L07's
Phase Linear 400 - not the greatest sounding but a great party favorite: "Let's make the needles move!"
 
The Yamaha B-2.

Our AK member 'Yamaha B-2' has had many different amps through his system
(Yamahas MX 2000,BX-1,numerous Macintosh including MC275).
His conclusion?
The B-2 has the edge.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1523943&postcount=1644

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1311410&postcount=1246

I haven't had the experience of the number of poweramps he has,but the B-2(which I also own)is a friggin' stunner of an amp sound-wise.

I've also heard the Conrad Johnson Premier 3 which I liked,and a VTL (85?).
 
That may be true, but it's certainly not a vintage amplifier. Heck, it's not even an original design- it's a QSC RMX2450 clone.

Little on the late side here, but need to clarify something here.

The EP2500 is not a clone of the QSC RMX2450. At least not in the sense of clone being an exact copy.

Yes, it shares the same basic design and components. But, you will notice it weighs less, the circuit layout is somewhat different, and the torroid is smaller and appears to be of lower quality.
 
I'm liking my Marantz 250, but I don't have the range of experience with different power amps that many here do.

No one has mentioned Onkyo...M-504, M-508, M-3090, etc. and other similar models. I've never heard any of these but they have some fans. I think dr*audio has an M-508.

How does the Technics SE-A5 stack up? I see posts where people rave about the giant meters and how the amp LOOKS but how does it SOUND?

Final question...do more "modern" power amps differ much in sound from the "vintage" amps mentioned here? I know this can't be answered in yes/no terms- it is a continuum from "vintage" to "modern" with no specific cut-off date, but some general impressions would be interesting to hear.

I've not had the pleasure of hearing the A5, but I can tell you from personal experience that the SE-A100 is a truly wonderful sounding amp. And the bitch of it is, I know where one is and the guy won't sell it to me. :sigh:
 
Luxman M-7 (just something about a real wood cover w/a piano finish)
Carver Silver Nine t's (much better bass control than the Seven t's)
Older Jeff Rowland's (Model 7's or Model 9's)
 
Marantz 170DC (For the non switching DC lush sound and amazing looks)
Perreaux PMF 3150 (For the clinically accurate and immensely powerful FET)
Pioneer SPEC 2: What a machine.
 
Guys
I have to vote for my Perreaux 1150b, It sounds great, It was a steal for the $130 I paid for it. And did I say it sounds great.....

bob
 
Back
Top Bottom