• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What High End PreAmp do you have?

Kenwood 700C (x2)
Accuphase C-222
Accuphase C-200X
Adyton Temper

The Temper is a pretty sweet piece from the 90's. It's Norwegian, has a seperate power supply, and a self-adjusting phono stage (MC only).
Unfortunately, mine has some issues (it hums like a mofo), so it's going to my tech this weekend. MSRP was a cool $5000.

The C-200X also have issues, as the relay for the phono stage died. It's unobtanium, so I need to somehow source another one, or hardwire it to either MM or MC. Oh, the joys of vintage hifi...
 
Adyton Temper

The Temper is a pretty sweet piece from the 90's. It's Norwegian, has a seperate power supply, and a self-adjusting phono stage (MC only).
Unfortunately, mine has some issues (it hums like a mofo), so it's going to my tech this weekend. MSRP was a cool $5000.

:worthless

Don't post about such things with no pics to show :D
I want to see what it looks like inside, I want to see how to looks in general, no good pics of this pre seems to be available.
 
OK, I'll open it up, and take some pics before I deliver it.
There was also a similar looking MC phono stage in the same series, the Chorus, which I've only seen for sale once. 200 made, I believe. And a line-only pre, the Modus.
 
Last edited:
OK, I'll open it up, and take some pics before I deliver it.
There was also a similar looking MC phono stage in the same series, the Chorus, which I've only seen for sale once. 200 made, I believe. And a line-only pre, the Modus.

Thanks a bunch, it looks like a really cool preamp you got here! :thmbsp:
 
jv0xg6.jpg

Great preamp? Are those multi turn trim pots stock? Are the two transformers for Left and Right channels or for phono and line stage?

How does it sound? especially the phono stage?
 
I have an original Vacum Tube Logic The Ultimate Pre Amp with MC stage.
I also have a modified Klyne 5a,I have never heard a better moving coil stage than this. This thing has detail up the wazoo.
 
Well high end for McIntosh in 1997 was there TOTL C100. This was their first foray into dual boxes for the preamp. The logic for a quiet signal was to separate the signal from switches and AC hence a dirty box and clean box. The C100 is a very rare piece of equipment at $6,800 list in 97 not many were sold. Then I think it was two years later the C200 came out and the rest is history with the C500 & C1000.

C100 back side has plenty of hook-ups with 3 Phono stages, 3 balanced, plus 3 RCA outputs that all can be used simultaneously. That's just to mention a few look!!

c100.JPG



c100_800_3.jpg
 
This a "vintage" hi end preamp I recently got and it sings beautifully!

e3ujusem.jpg
 

Attachments

  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404048742.232363.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404048742.232363.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I love my Audio Research LS3, the most transparent piece of electronics I've ever owned!

ARC_LS3_front2.jpg


(Picture taken from the internet)
 
Maybe not as high end as many of the examples shown but I am impressed with the sound quality of this preamp.

Nakamichi CA-7A



It has dual and separate PCBs for each channel for both the line stage and phono stage. They are stacked (one shown). No Electrolytic caps in the signal path. Dual power supplies for line and phono stage.



Remote with motorized volume control is pretty nice also :)
 
Last edited:
No spec. Sony TA-N88B is a better sounding preamp. Believe me.

Have you compared them directly? Curious because the TA-N88B is certainly a preamplifier that was at the same pentacle of evolution out of Japan as the CA-7A. I also have a Yamaha C-2x which I consider another top Japanese preamplifier from the 70s/80s. It is a tough call comparing between the Nakamichi and the Yamaha. Would love to compare the Sony to them!

A Sony TA-N88B vs Nakamichi CA-7A vs Yamaha C-2x would be a killer shootout!
 
My ...new "kid on the block"!

The extra rare Aurex - Toshiba SY-88.
This preamp is excellent for any MM or MC cartridge. It was bought directly from Japan.

It is very rare because it was never selling on USA or Europe.
Just only for Japanese consumers!

Selling price on 1977 was 180.000 yien.

p1110707ct.jpg


...

p1110728t.jpg

Beautiful! Just beautiful!
 
It's only high-end to me. Leach Preamp. Built it in the late 70s when I was in college, from an article in Audio magazine.

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/mleach/papers/wbpreamp/feb77article.pdf

It's playing now. Sounds great, a lot better than it looks. (The inside is ugly too.) The phono section is supposed to be quite robust and Leach claimed it could put out a 40v P-P sine wave up to 120khz.

It needs some refurb. I'm debating whether to go with a whole new pair of enclosures and new internal components, but for now I'm getting some nice warm fuzzies leaving it just as it is.

John
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1418099259072.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418099259072.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 40
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418099289470.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418099289470.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom