• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which Sony vintage PreAmp?

I have the later TA 2000ESD. This has very fine analog and digital processing. built in Parametric eq and a superb D-to-A converter. Very nice phono and a large number of inputs and ouputs.
 
Hello, any suggestion on which vintage Sony Preamps mate well to VFET TAN-5550 Amp?
Thanks!
JT

TAE-5450 as shown in my avatar, although that's not an actual pic of mine. I bought both of them new in 1979 as a matched pair.

edit: Avatar changed.
 
Last edited:
Have TA2000 and it is the best sounding preamp i run all my inputs through it into my $1000.00 marantz av600 thx preamp cd inputs because for spatial quality and imaging it makes the inputs if used on the marantz sound like the marantz`s own inputs are dead imaging. can`t quite figure out why since i`m still using the marantz`s cd input, but decided to do this on a whim cuz my trio 350 and pioneer pl-1000 sounded so good using the phono inputs of the sony cuz the marantz has no phono inputs. If anyone reading this can explain why there is such a great difference be sure good to know has me bewildered. i bought the TA-2000 on ebay 2 years ago on ebay for 60.00 everything works a1 looks meters work and meter light still workin.
 
If anyone is interested on ePay UK someone is selling a TA-E88B/ST-E88B/TA-N86B. All look in good condition but the 86B is probably well cooked! No affiliation. I can recommend the E88B I am VERY pleased with mine!
 
Sony TA 2000

Friday I picked up a TA 2000 preamp. What a beast! 22lb. preamp. I was surprised to see it has a "center channel" output. Cosmetically it's in great shape, except for a few minor blemishes on the top cover. She was a bit dirty, but amazingly clean inside. After cleaning the switches and pots, I'm really enjoying the sound.

For a test run I decided to try it with a McIntosh mc 250 and Boston A-70's. Compared to the Pioneer SX-950 that was in the system earlier, the soundstage grew considerably in width. Seems to be coming from several feet past the wall at times. Can't wait to recap this hoss.

Edit: switched out the MC-250 for an Adcom 545... OMG, can't believe how good it sounds with an as yet un-restored preamp of 40 years old. Only the slightest hint of early SS "graininess". Sound stage is HUGE, and has depth beyond any possible room boundaries. I don't know how else to describe it. The separation of horns and strings is seemingly impossible. My brain thinks they sound forty feet apart... The room is only 20' wide.
 
Has anyone found a pdf version of the TA-2000F user manual?

I have the service manual, which I've uploaded to the AK database already.
 
Back
Top Bottom