• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who Throws Audio Gear Away

A friend of mine tossed in a dumpster a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's. By what he said happened to them, he may of just smoked a cap.

I would hope my friends are smarter, but of course you never know. I haven't gotten rid of much, but all of those items were sold or given away, and after that, I know not.

Repair labor is expensive, and that is why I've learned how to do much of it myself. Of course I have a pile of equipment to fix.
 
Last edited:
Earlier this year I dumped a Yamaha 5 disc multi CD changer.It worked,but the clip on front was missing from the tray,therefore it just looked horrible.
Also dumped a pair of late 80's Sony bookshelf speakers a few years back,these needed a re-foam,and a non-working 90's Panasonic VCR.
Although,got to admit I would find it very difficult to dump any Japanese 70's silver gear,even if it wasn't working,and with no hope of ever been repaired.
 
If I can't use it, can't sell it and it's broken beyond (economical) repair I keep all the parts I can re-use, what remains goes in the dumpster.

Well said. I just don't have enough time to fix all the devices stored on my lab shelf… I tend to keep everything, unless it becomes quite useless. Last week I dismantled an old Philips VCR with a broken tape loader, I didn't find any good reason to spend time and money to rescue it. Maybe someday I will regret it: would it ever come a time for an analogue video resurgence ? :p:
 
I have a storage facility where I keep my large toys. I'm always amazed at what people set out by the dumpster. I sometimes get lucky and get a vintage amp or receiver or tuner. I was dumping some trash (literally trash) when a guy rolled up in his truck and said "You want a 1 year old Panasonic 36" flatscreen tube TV? I am getting a flat screen HDTV today and tossing this one out." I said "Yes". Still have it. Great TV for the price. Awesome picture.

I never throw out audio gear. If nothing else, I scavenge "beyond hope" equipment for parts. Then, perhaps, the rough carcass goes in the trash.
 
My sisters friend just found a set of Sony ES bookshelf speakers (with the square drivers) in a dumpster near a worksite he was at... Plugged them in for him on the weekend and they sound perfect.. People are so wasteful!!
 
Yes, I have tossed non working gear in the trash if it is not worth fixing. That said I have a Kiinergetics subwoofer that is still works and sits in the garage collecting dust. I also have two 1990's DAC's and a Adcom GTP 400 pre-amp-tuner but the tuner section does not work, that stuff is in storage. My reason are as follows for keeping the unused gear. I don't think the sub. system is worth the hassle of selling, the remainder is if something breaks.
 
Slightly Off Topic (but not much, after the beautiful Suzuki post…)

Some years ago, driving home with a friend I spotted a pinball machine on the sidewalk by a garage… We almost stopped the car, before realizing there was no room for it in his car, even turning every seat upside down. Unfortunately we were too far from home to come back… :tears:

Last year I helped a friend to restore his 1978 Bally Dolly Parton pinball: the first 2-player game we played was an absolute joy, with "Pinball Wizard" REAL loud in his Genelec 1030A studio speakers (back on topic):yes:

How could a man become so insane to throw away such a beautiful piece of engineering? I hope that somebody rescued it from the dump and brought it back to life... it's actually easier than recapping an amp, IMHO.
 
People that see it as old and broken and don't know or understand charity donation. Seriously, there are a lot of folks that have no idea what a thrift store is or what it is good for. There are also a lot of people that have no concept of recycling. Seriously.

I remember back in the '80s when people used to leave clean and complete motorcycles, lawnmower/edgers, and large BBQs and smokers, etc, etc, out on the curb during special trash pick-up days. And I'm not talking about rusted and obviously busted junk either. Haven't seen the likes of that in many years tho.

Now just last weekend, my wife and I took a load of donations to our local Good Will. Anyway, we decided to go through the "drive thru" donation drop-off and a well-dressed man in front of us (who was driving a brand spanking new black Dodge Charger btw) dropped off what looked like a huge stack of expensive looking clothing (both casual and dress/suit stuff).

So, I think people are starting to learn that it's better to donate or recycle useful items than it is to just throw them away.
 
Stuff I put on the curb is usually gone long before the trash truck rolls around.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
 
I saved a Thorens TD-125 MKII from the land fill.. still in the box. Only issue was a blown capacitor.... people don't fix stuff anymore..... it's a crying shame.

At our recycling center, they have a section for Electronics, but now they watch for guys like me who want to grab up the old gear!!!
 
Around here the thrifts are mostly accredited as electronic recyclers, so whatever gets donated that doesn't work goes to a centre to be dealt with appropriately. In addition the city has a drop-off for electronics as well. Not much excuse putting it in the trash. Having said that I have yet to dump anything, though there is an old Panasonic DVD player that has hit that point I'm afraid.
 
Back
Top Bottom