• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who's still listening to vinyl? CNN Article

Register to hide this ad
Vinyl 'sounds real and has emotional content and feeling'. The "Yeah Bash!"

Ditital: To me, all there is...is sound, void of emotional content or feeling. They are like: 'So What'.
 
Last edited:
The reason why I listen to vynyls is I want genuine tube sound. Cutting machine driver used to be tube amplifiers till long ago.
 
On one hand, I'm glad that there is so much renewed interest and enthusiasm for vinyl records - there are more new records being pressed today than there have been in the past 20-25 years.

On the other hand, this new interest is driving up the prices of vintage records and possibly reducing their availability on the market. For example, '70s-80s run-of-the-mill UK import stereo Beatles LPs, which 5-10 years ago could be had for $10-$15, are now fetching $25-$30. As recently 8 or 10 years ago, I bought a VG+ mono UK 1960s copy of the Beatles' "Help!" for $12. That's gotta be worth at least $50 or more today.

Fortunately for me, having been collecting records since the '70s, I already have complete or near-complete collections of original pressings by all of the major artists that I'm interested in, and am now seeking more obscure oddball stuff that most casual record fans don't even know or care about.

I do feel somewhat sorry for newbie collectors in their 20s and 30s seeking the 'basics,' ie: Beatles, Dylan, Stones, Pink Floyd, etc., because those records have shot up in price quite a bit lately, even the (analog mastered) re-pressings from the '80s.
 
Last edited:
I love this line:

Jason Krutzky, a musician from Atlanta, Georgia, joked that vinyl might even outlive the MP3.
"I've only had my MacBook Pro for a year and it's already crashed once, so, technically, my records have already outlived all my MP3s once," he said.
 
Sweet. I just picked up that Rodney Dangerfield record a few weeks ago for a buck. Dude cracks me up.

*EDIT* I'm getting old. To me "shootin' up" means the enema bag. :butt1:

:D
 
Last edited:
Yep, I'll stick with vinyl. For all those reasons and more.

My eyes are getting too bad to be digging thru the used MP3 bin. :D

Good article. Thanks for that. :thmbsp:


..
 
There is something about a tangible piece of media that a digital download will never quite replace. Its the same reason that electronic picture frames will never replace paintings.
 
HI All,
Of course the point most of these articles miss is the analog sound. I'm not personally romantically attached to the feel and smell of albums. I love the sound. I love the music.

While many of you may be buying re-releases or new releases, I generally don't have that option. You see, I'm primarily into classical and jazz and there are very few new records for this type of music. I don't think classical and jazz will ever recover. I have in the past and still do rely on used records. And the prices are going up and the selections are slimmer. Fortunately, I cashed in on the used collections that were dumped on the market as folks converted to CD. That allowed me to expand to over 4500 records at bargain prices. And my records are in great condition too. I'm quite satisfied even if I never buy another record.

But I will; I can't resist.

Sparky
 
HI All,
Of course the point most of these articles miss is the analog sound. I'm not personally romantically attached to the feel and smell of albums. I love the sound. I love the music.

While many of you may be buying re-releases or new releases, I generally don't have that option. You see, I'm primarily into classical and jazz and there are very few new records for this type of music. I don't think classical and jazz will ever recover. I have in the past and still do rely on used records. And the prices are going up and the selections are slimmer. Fortunately, I cashed in on the used collections that were dumped on the market as folks converted to CD. That allowed me to expand to over 4500 records at bargain prices. And my records are in great condition too. I'm quite satisfied even if I never buy another record.

But I will; I can't resist.

Sparky

The thing with classical, baroque, etc, is the different versions of the same piece. The tempos presented in the scores often allow for several BPM in variance. Then there is the translations, some in the native tongue, others translated to english. With Opera, it's even more dramatic, with the different singers sounding different. Once I find a version of a piece that I like, and engrave it in my head, nothing else quite does it for me. And many of the versions that are "in my head" I have never been able to find except on records.
 
Thats right,
I get every different "4 seasons" that comes by because Ive found that the interpretation is the magic. Ive got a copy of an Italian chamber group doing "summer" and its fantastic.
Thats never coming out on anything else for sure.

The re- releases are homogenous for the masses. The small masses that listen and say "Its always the same and so stodgy"

Im with Glenn Gould on classical. Never play it the same twice. And when you find one that has just the right turn, it changes the feeling and attitude.

All that is only available on vinyl.

I hate to think of what Id be missing if I were young.

What? No Filthy McNasty.

Bits just cant do it. :no:

..
 
My 22 year old son is an EE student in college, and really loves the electronics. We've owned every audio gizmo invented in the last 22 years, and he knows them all inside and out.

When was home for the holidays, I flipped on my Sansui, and dropped on a "Longines Symphonette" album just for the heck of it. He listened for a few minutes, the looked at me and said, "You know, there isn't any better quality sound reproduction than what you have right there."

Mama didn't raise no dummy!
 
While many of you may be buying re-releases or new releases, I generally don't have that option. You see, I'm primarily into classical and jazz and there are very few new records for this type of music. I don't think classical and jazz will ever recover.

Umm...there are a lot of fantastic jazz vinyl re-issues out there. Considering how hard it is to find jazz in my area, and the condition it's in when I do find it, most of my re-issue LPs are in that genre.
 
I looked at the comments below and of course was immediately drawn to the turntable pics, but then I was appalled at what I saw - old acoustic grammophone machines:
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-480081
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-478731
I hope they're not actually playing VINYL records on those machines!

Just today in a thrift store I picked up what I thought was a Cheech and Chong LP, but then I discovered it's actually a laserdisc. I was very disappointed...
 
HI Sam,
Where are you finding these reissues? I'm interested though I do have a source for used jazz.

Thanks, Sparky
 
Back
Top Bottom