• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Who's still listening to vinyl? CNN Article

Umm...there are a lot of fantastic jazz vinyl re-issues out there. Considering how hard it is to find jazz in my area, and the condition it's in when I do find it, most of my re-issue LPs are in that genre.

There are a lot of great Jazz artists beyond Miles Davis et al. I have found old vinyl recordings of Jazz artists that I have never heard of and they are fantastic. Those greats are the ones that get lost.

Even great pop music gets lost. As big as Olivia Newton John was, some of her biggest albums were never released on CD in the US.
 
I looked at the comments below and of course was immediately drawn to the turntable pics, but then I was appalled at what I saw - old acoustic grammophone machines:
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-480081
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-478731
I hope they're not actually playing VINYL records on those machines!

Just today in a thrift store I picked up what I thought was a Cheech and Chong LP, but then I discovered it's actually a laserdisc. I was very disappointed...

I was very pleased to recently acquire a copy of the Big Bambu that still had the giant rolling paper!
 
even if FLAC did sound just like analogue, it will obviously never have the visual and tactile appeal of vinyl records.
 
HI Sam,
Where are you finding these reissues? I'm interested though I do have a source for used jazz.

Thanks, Sparky

Record stores, even ones without huge selections. soundstagedirect.com, an oft-mentioned board sponsor, has 15 pages of new and reissue Jazz titles - 30 albums to a page.

There are a lot of great Jazz artists beyond Miles Davis et al. I have found old vinyl recordings of Jazz artists that I have never heard of and they are fantastic. Those greats are the ones that get lost.

Agreed, though I love the big-name artists as well. Some of my best unusual jazz is on Radio Netherlands Transcription Services discs.
 
HI Sam,
Thanks Sam. I have some thoughts on this.

I checked out the link to soundstagedirect.com. I'm impressed with number of records that are availble. Clearly there has been a big change in the year and a half since I last did a reissue and new records search. It's really good to see. I haven't had time to go through all the listings but I will do it.

Man, it is expensive to put together a collection today. I used to think that CD's were expensive but reissues and new releases exceed them. There is no doubt in my mind that used records are still the way to go assuming they can be had in good condition. Often, they can.

In the old days a person could buy based upon an interesting looking cover on spec. If it's not liked, you would be out maybe $3.99. No big deal. Largely, this is still true with used records. This is a great way to find new music and artists but also a way to accumulate a lot of records that are never played. But in the world of new and reissued vinyl, buying on spec represents a real gamble and is a semi big deal. Generally, I won't do it. I would limit my purchases to artists I know and like and probably to records I have heard before and identified as a want.

On soundstagedirect most of the records I have seen so far, I know nothing about. Many of the artists I know nothing about. True, this may mark me as not knowledgable about jazz and to some extent this is true. A real expert may find many treasures there that I would pass by because of my ignorance. But my ignorance is still a fact that will impact my purchases.

Additionally, soundstagedirect.com, I think, does a poor job of describing their records. For the big names and their famous records this is not a problem because most of the important details are well known. But, for example, what instrument does Ornette Coleman play (yes, I do know, in this case)? Who is in the band? IS there a band? Who is the recording engineer? What was the venue? The list goes on. These are things one could find on the record jacket. But, their descriptions offer no help. This makes buying on spec especially questionable.

Except for a few items I have seen on their site and know, so far, I'll stick to used records. The new and reissue records, while not hugely expensive, are still more than I would gamble on.

But that's just my choice. I realize that others are willing to spend the big bucks on the records they want or think they want. Good, keep the wheel turning.

Sparky
 
HI Sam,
Where are you finding these reissues? I'm interested though I do have a source for used jazz.

Thanks, Sparky

If you don't have a good record store nearby, there are a number of "audiophile" online shops which sell Jazz LPs, mainly reissues of classic 1950s and 1960s albums. These tend to be very good quality, although they also have audiophile prices. They also carry some classical

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&genreid=4&categoryID=5
http://www.elusivedisc.com/products.asp?dept=904

Jazz Record Mart in Chicago also has a decent selection of vinyl, and does mail order. Their prices are usually more reasonable than the audiophile places. They're very much worth a visit if you're in town - they have a huge used LP section as well as the new stuff on their website

http://www.jazzmart.com/product/lps.htm

For classical vinyl (and CDs and SACDs), Berkshire Record Outlet is a great source, and tends to be very cheap

http://www.berkshirerecordoutlet.co...stocknum=&text=&filter=all&lp=1&submit=Search

Amazon.com com also sells some vinyl
 
Last edited:
HI Bob,
I'm familiar with Acoustic Sounds and have bought a few records from them. The other places you mention are unknown to me.

So, thanks for the links. They will be added to my Music favorites folder.

Sparky
 
Some of us like any kind of record.. Not just the kind made from vinyl. Lots of great old music out there on LaquorS too..
 
Back
Top Bottom