• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Your Most Valuable LP's

:drool:

I have the CD of that recording. It's been one of my test discs for years. In all of the Dogs I've found, that hasn't been one of them.

Is there a list of the key RCA, Columbia and Mercury classical discs online? I bought another batch of Dogs this weekend that included a few Mercurys - the first I've seen of that label.

Classical collectors are pretty familiar with the top titles. You'll learn what they are soon enough if you follow eBay. They are generally the ones that sold in tiny quantities at the time, but were well-recorded and of musical interest - except for Hi-Fi a la Espanol, which is just an audiophile record.

You get get the first Reiner Zarathrustra much more easily on a plum Vic than a Dog, and the price is usually low. Magenta cover with Reiner's smiling mug in black and white.
 
Classical collectors are pretty familiar with the top titles. You'll learn what they are soon enough if you follow eBay. They are generally the ones that sold in tiny quantities at the time, but were well-recorded and of musical interest - except for Hi-Fi a la Espanol, which is just an audiophile record.

You get get the first Reiner Zarathrustra much more easily on a plum Vic than a Dog, and the price is usually low. Magenta cover with Reiner's smiling mug in black and white.

I take it that it's only in Stereo on a Dog, though.
 
I take it that it's only in Stereo on a Dog, though.

Nope, the plum Vics were early budget reissues of out-of-print LSC titles, along with originals that did not make the cut for various reasons. All titles were issued both in mono and genuine stereo, starting in 1963, at a $2.98 list price.
 
Hard to say how rare it is, but my copy of "Penthouse Magazine Presents: Jonathan Richman Live in London" is certainly a fave of mine. Its one of those promo-only discs from the early 80's. Also have the UK-only "Jonathan Richman Scrapbook."
 
Off the top of my head, here are 10 somewhat rare titles in my collection (all original pressings):

Jimi's Axis: Bold As Love UK mono
Gnidrolog - Lady Lake
Gravy Train - Ballad Of A Peaceful Man (I have quite a few Vertigo originals)
Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch
Sgt. Pepper UK mono w/inserts
T2 - It'll All Work Out In Boomland
The Outsiders - CQ
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain - sealed promo
Velvet Underground & Nico - s/t (w/the peelable banana cover)
Spriguns - Revel, Wild & Weird
 
Probably the Sigur ros #4961 of 5000 frozen sea box set i scored for $25.00:D
or the #'ed White album NM .....i got from a generous benefactor:D:D
 
Last edited:
Like some others posting, there obviously are a lot of albums in my collection that are worth more than I know, but to me, they're "just my music." One I know is pretty valuable/collectable is shown in my avatar.
 
Jimi's Axis: Bold As Love UK mono
Gnidrolog - Lady Lake
Gravy Train - Ballad Of A Peaceful Man (I have quite a few Vertigo originals)
Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch
Sgt. Pepper UK mono w/inserts
T2 - It'll All Work Out In Boomland
The Outsiders - CQ
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain - sealed promo
Velvet Underground & Nico - s/t (w/the peelable banana cover)
Spriguns - Revel, Wild & Weird

Many fine albums, I share your enthusiasm and stewardship of most of these titles, though my copy of Maggot Brain is opened & decidedly unpromo.

...(I have quite a few Vertigo originals)

As one would have expected of you.
 
Probably "Introducing the Beatles" on VeeJay. The first album I ever bought. I got it in a SuperX drug store.
 
R. Crumb "Party Record" (Red Goose Records)

I bought this in the late 70's. It's in great shape because it's recorded at 78 RPM and I've never owned a table with that speed. Played it a few times when new on a friend's TT that was so equipped.

Lately I've been able to burn it to CD by means of my vinyl ripping software that allows me to play it at 45 RPM and then the software adjusts the pitch.

Side 1 is "My Girl's Pussy" and is a great double-entendre tune.
Side 2 is "Christopher Columbus", and there is absolutely no subtlety there...

All in all a hoot.

Steve A.
 
nothing special but i have 'dsotm' on harvest with both posters and both stickers, vg+ condition, got it at a pawn that charges $5 for 8 records. others of note are 'the river' sealed, which i opened and sam cooke's 'nightbeat', vg+.
 
Original Blue Note 10-in. record of Miles Davis, and other assorted 10-in jazz on Emarcy, Fantasy, Pacific.
 
I found a Django Reinhardt black label Victor (LPM-1100) at a thrift store for $0.25. It's dirty and has some light surface scratches, but I'm hoping that it cleans up well. It seems to bring some decent money at the online record stores.
 
well i have several jazz albums that i am proud of owning
here are some i know to be pretty tough and are some of my favorites
miles davis- kind of blue 6 eye mono with cover and label mistakes
john coltrane - a love supreme mono
charles mingus- mingus ah um original canadian mono from 59
dave brubeck- time out mono with original cover(doesnt say featuring take 5)
cannonball adderley- something else mono w/ deep groove
sonny rollins- saxophone colossus original danish release 1956
john coltrane- giant steps mono with bullseye logo. usually found with black label for mono and bullseye for stereo, but some were made with this configuration
herbie hancock- maiden voyage mono
art blakey- moanin' mono w/ deep groove
thelonious monk- brilliant corners blue label mono
 
Back
Top Bottom