• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AKAI love

Nice 8 track and Something you don’t see every day, The heaviest 120 wpc power amplifier I have ever lifted. Would love to find preamp, but have only run across a couple that were way out of my budget.
2CB9DE37-5249-4ACB-9ADA-221C82ED0E0D.jpeg
 
Last edited:
image;s=644x461

Akai AA-930.
I'm a happy man. For 4 years I tried to get this one. Now it's singing beautifully, I've already had the 910, I'm very impressed with the sound. Excellent stereo separation, fine detail, nice warmth.These Akais are very special, love the build quality, the design Pioneer QX-9900 alike. I have it paired with Fairfax FX-300, Onkyo R-4000, Pioneer CS-77A and Rectilinear Mini III.
Happy, my ears are very, very happy. Akai and Sansui are my two loves.
 
Last edited:
cassette decks... and a cd player

GX-M50 -80
CS-M02 -81
CS-M01 - 80
CD-D1 -83
HX-1 -83
HX-R44 -84
CS-F110 -83
CS-F36R -83
CS-F39R -83

akai113.jpg


Blitz
akai112.jpg
 
Was trying to find out how to Bias the Akai AA7000 when I came across this thread.After much trawling I found out its auto Bias!
Anyone with a service manual I would be truly grateful, not easy restoring this really old stuff without one...had to rebuild the power supply
Anywho here's some piccys as requested IMG_7149.JPGIMG_7144.JPGIMG_7140.JPGIMG_7141.JPG
Beautiful modular design, looked like a nightmare to work on, the power amp is under the lid but it unplugs,as does the tuner dial so actually its fine,unlike the 5000 which is very difficult to work on.Sounds great IMO but I like the transformer coupled amps.
Big fan of Akai but don't have many pics, also have the 5000,8500,6300,6600 and the 5800+tuner combo...if I get time I will dig them out and photograph, very stylish stuff and they championed the transformer coupling for some time
 
GX-265D.jpg GX-F31 and Marantz 2325.jpg Vintage system completed.jpg I had an Akai GXC-570D purchased new in 1976. Was an awesome deck with the feather touch controls and motorized opening door hiding all of the extra functions. I used to get great results using Maxell's first generation UDXL chrome tape, even though the extended frequency response at the time was 16,000 Hz. It also had tape selector switch for ferrochrome. 3 motors, 3 heads, and dual capstan made this an exceptional smooth-running deck. A monster of a deck to own and a monster of a deck to repair. Had it serviced once in the eighties. When it went on the blink a second time in the nineties, I sold it to a friend. Nevertheless, an outstanding deck of the time.
Purchased an Akai GX-620 RTR in 1980. Loved the look and function of the 10 1/2-inch reels. Had a dust cover for it and remote control as well. Made a mistake and traded it in for some new equipment. I was sorry after a time for not holding on to it.
Next was a brand-new Akai GX-F31 cassette deck in 1983. Had it serviced in 2010 and I still have it. Works flawlessly still.
Last summer [2021] I had a friend who went through a nasty divorce and sold most of his hi fi gear due to a move. He contacted me and asked me if I wanted his Akai GX-265D reel to reel deck and a dozen Maxell UD 35-90 tapes for free. JUST COME & PICK EM UP he said. I'm now the proud owner of this deck. I had it serviced....a good lube/check and a counter belt replaced. I have since bulk erased all of the tapes and recorded on them again. The deck sounds every bit as good as the GX-620 I used to have. My current third system [basement] is an all vintage one with everything hooked up to a Marantz 2325 receiver. No more getting rid of things. Learned my lesson. I will continue to repair all components in need in the future.

Vintage system:

Marantz 2325
Technics SB-7000a /Kimbercable 8TC
Technics SL Q-2 / Shure V15-VMR
Akai GX-265D
Akai GX-F31
Onkyo TA-2800
Onkyo C-7030
AudioQuest interconnects throughout
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom