• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec Model 19 Speaker Building Project

We live in Washington, on the west coast. The day I first heard a pair....I wanted them.:yes: Now my dream is getting closer.:D
 
We live in Washington, on the west coast. The day I first heard a pair....I wanted them.:yes: Now my dream is getting closer.:D

Yep, I had heard about them...than a pair came up on Craigslist. Once I heard them..well bought and transported to storage the sameday. Didn't have the room for them at home, but would find somewhere to listen to them.:banana:
 
And I have to live as far away as you can get in the states!

But now, you must have it down to a wire as far as measurments and cutting the wood and routering the joints. Would it be fairly easy to have a kit with all the wood precut so that a person only has to assemble them? It would be much easy to ship just a box with precut pieces of wood.

I know at least one person who would love to have a pair.
 
I'd be Model 19 less too, if it wasn't for the master builder Matt Vandyke. He took this project on and has been spectacular! It takes quite a bit of work to build these cabinets.
 
Those look great! I'm interested in seeing the bases when they are done. I see that your including casters which is a must for these monsters. My bases are missing and are just sitting on dollies right now. Matt does fantastic work!

What kind of amp are you planning on using Brad?
 
I haven't decided on an amp or receiver yet. I'll be selling off some of my higher powered stuff as I won't need much power. I'll probably pair it with my warm sounding Pioneer sx828 first though. Matt had his running with a Fisher 800 when I heard his 19's. It was a great combo.
 
We're making good progress on the project. We've got to screw in the front and backs, insulate, install the bottom risers and then the base cabinets will be done.

Of course the vener part will be next.

We've got all of the componets for the Z19 crossovers and I'll start on that today. Hoping to have it all done in a week or so.

Here is a picture of the Model 19 team after 5 hours of work earlier this weekend.

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae247/mattvandyke/P1080196.jpg
 
Last edited:
It almost looks as if you guys are putting the Model 19 back into production. :scratch2:

:thmbsp:
 
If it is that you want the best of both worlds, active xover & passive xover selectability, let me know and I can send you a schematic where you can toggle between both networks. I used this on my Cornwalls and it was pretty impressive and very functional! You would be amazed at what you hear & don't hear between passive & active networks!
DC
 
I know that we are using bi amp speaker connectors with the Z19 crossovers.

Will this allow you to basically split the network into two seperate low & hi pathas that you can individually amplify? You remove a couple connecting strips between the 4 terminals that make it bi-ampable.

Installing a switch allow this AND also one to use an active network by completely switching the passive network in and out.
DC
 
Awesome! Hey Brad, I'm down here in Happy Valley. I'd love to see and hear the finished product!!!!!!!!!!

Mikey
 
Back
Top Bottom