• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any Portland Oregon clubs?

I'm new to AK and just saw this old thread, but with some recent entries. I recently moved from Portland to the Albany-Corvallis area, but get up to Portland quite a bit. Obviously a group in Corvallis would be nice.

A fellow Corvallis member. Nice!
 
I'm a member of the Corvallis Amateur Astronomy club; there ought to be some folks in Corvallis that are into audio, but how to reach them. I wonder if Eugene has anything going on.

I usually have no trouble selling nice audio to folks in Corvallis/Albany/Salem and Eugene. I tend to go through some pieces. Trying to settle down from that. You might find is that there are less audiophiles than astronomers. We used to have a really great audio guy in Jim at Northwest Audio Labs. He left quite the void when he retired.
 
I usually have no trouble selling nice audio to folks in Corvallis/Albany/Salem and Eugene.
At the risk of straying off topic, may I ask what venue you use to find buyers in this area? Do you use any of the usual audio listing services, or do you use craigslist/ebay etc. If you prefer, feel free to PM me on this, and I appreciate your advice.
 
At the risk of straying off topic, may I ask what venue you use to find buyers in this area? Do you use any of the usual audio listing services, or do you use craigslist/ebay etc. If you prefer, feel free to PM me on this, and I appreciate your advice.
Usually Craigslist or Facebook. It takes longer than it used to, primarily because I'm selling more expensive stuff, but gear always does sell. If you look at CL and see an ad that says "I'm Art and you can reach me through this ad" or something similar. That's me.
 
Jamac functions as little more than a chop-shop these days. From what o hear he was popular in the 80/90 era(a bad sign because it was all shxt, sold by sipp-lipped salesman). I’d gone in for a few things, haven’t been impressed.

My guy is in La Center, WA is the only tech I work with now. He’s not as cheap $50 for a refoam, and he will only build to specs. Meaning if your vintage speakers have rubber surrounds, you’re getting rubber surrounds or he won’t touch them. He’s ocd, and you want that in a tech.
 
Thread resurrection. Did you guys had a chance to meet-up?
I'm 35 miles from Portland. I do a lot of analog recordings reel and cassettes. I have a recording station at home.
 
Last edited:
I live in Camas, WA but my stereo gear is based in Vancouver, WA (divorced parents). I would like to gather us together with our stereo equipment somewhere around portland or vancouver, and bring it all in for various demos. Hopefully this summer I'll have an opportunity to do that.
 
I live in Camas, WA but my stereo gear is based in Vancouver, WA (divorced parents). I would like to gather us together with our stereo equipment somewhere around portland or vancouver, and bring it all in for various demos. Hopefully this summer I'll have an opportunity to do that.

I'm up for that.... Also, there is a Portland Audio Club that meets monthly that you might be interested. You can find it on meetup.org.
 
Sounds like there's plenty of audio related businesses and activity up in the northern reaches of Oregon. But once you get south of Eugene, it turns into a desert. Seriously. Aside from the odd boutique used record store, you won't find one serious "HiFi" shop in all of Curry, Josephine, and Jackson counties. Mind you, I've only lived here four years, so I may have missed something.

I moved to the area after suffering through 25 years in the San Fransisco East bay,which has become a dystopian nightmare. By way of contrast, this place is quiet, clean, free of random gun shots, the infrastructure is well maintained, and you won't find used condoms and needles in your front yard. People are friendly and polite and even the homeless don't get pushy. But brother, don't come here looking for audiophile equipment or records.

So I envy y'all north of Salem.
 
Sounds like there's plenty of audio related businesses and activity up in the northern reaches of Oregon. But once you get south of Eugene, it turns into a desert. Seriously. Aside from the odd boutique used record store, you won't find one serious "HiFi" shop in all of Curry, Josephine, and Jackson counties. Mind you, I've only lived here four years, so I may have missed something.

I moved to the area after suffering through 25 years in the San Fransisco East bay,which has become a dystopian nightmare. By way of contrast, this place is quiet, clean, free of random gun shots, the infrastructure is well maintained, and you won't find used condoms and needles in your front yard. People are friendly and polite and even the homeless don't get pushy. But brother, don't come here looking for audiophile equipment or records.
So I envy y'all north of Salem.
Welcome to OR.. For the most part Oregonians are nature loving people and cares for their environment. People here are courteous and you'll notice even when youre driving, other motorist are forgiving. The only awkward drivers I see here are people passing thru and that came from different places and brought a baggage. I don't have any idea whats happening to the anomalies in Portland either for for I think this is just recently. and I live 40 miles away. Other than that youll enjoy it here. People at work are looking towards weekend family trips which is mostly 50 miles away you have ocean and mountains. We have only 1 In and Out Burger which is in Keizer in case you're close to that area.
 
Back
Top Bottom