• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best lp recordings of all time

Classic Records 4lp 45rpm half speed mastered reissue of Willie Nelson's Stardust takes the cake.

As far as jazz goes, anything with Rudy Van Gelder's name on it will sound great.

I'm also really impressed by the mastering on Zappa's Sleep Dirt, Joe's Garage, Zoot Allures, Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Grand Wazoo, Waka/Jawaka and a few more.

I have a Willie Nelson Stardust LP

It has always sounded amazing
 
just listened to my copy the other night, and agreed....
However, the attempt to categorize 'best' LPs is so fraught with personal taste, whims of the moment and a host of other subtle distinctions as to seem sort of futile to me.

Some recordings are clearly better mixed than others. I don't know if the recording quality is as subjective as the rest of the medium.
 
Remember, audiophile extremes and popular music are often opposite to each other. The best recordings tend to be simple and not reliant on overdubs. So, be mindful of that. Many Country recordings up to the early 1980's tend to be sonically purer than most rock recordings on average. Their engineers tended to be more sound quality minded.
 
I concur with many of the LP's listed above (those that I am familiar with anyway), but would add Dire Straits Love Over Gold to the list as well. Fabulous record!
 
Bete Noire- Brian Ferry
Comminique- Dire Straits
Hot Rats- FZ
Pure Cotton-James Cotton BB
David Gilmour first solo album
The Wall-PF I've heard some bad PF albums, Mine sounds great
 
I'm currently listening the original pressing of Europe's album 'Final Countdown', which was mastered by Bob Ludwig. Sounds wonderful. I'm sure some will disagree though, this is very much about personal taste.
 
Back
Top Bottom