• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Most underated classic rock lp's

Journey prior to Steve Perry becoming lead singer.

th


th


th
 
Here's just a few from my collection:

COCKBURN,BRUCE: DANCING IN THE DRAGON’S JAWS
DOOBIE BROTHERS (NAUTILUS RECORDING): MINUTE BY MINUTE
LEWIS,HUEY AND THE NEWS: SPORTS
LITTLE RIVER BAND: SLEEPER CATCHER
LITTLE RIVER BAND: FIRST UNDER THE WIRE
MEN AT WORK: BUSINESS AS USUAL
OLD AND IN THE WAY: (SELF-TITLED)
RAITT,BONNIE: STREETLIGHTS
RAITT,BONNIE: GIVE IT UP
SADE: DIAMOND LIFE
SCAGGS, BOZ: SILK DEGREES
SUPERTRAMP: PARIS
WINWOOD,STEVE: ARC OF A DIVER

Apologies if some of these have already been mentioned. I did look but may have missed some. I really like the recording quality of most of these as well as the music. All of Sade's albums are recorded very, very well in my opinion and make for some ear candy to listen to. I'll try to add some more in time.
 
Any of the Canned Heat albums, and The Guess Who, both are fairly well known, although some albums less then others, but I feel all of the records are underrated.
 
Hansson & Karlsson

"Monument"
"Man at the Moon"
"Rex"

Not pure classic, more crossover (Rock Jazz Psychedelic Mix), anyway those albums deserve much more attention, in my opinion.
 
Not sure I'd classify Cockburn as "classic rock", but that's just quibling. I agree that is a great album, and I think his "Humans" and "Inner City Front" are also stellar - though most of his albums are certainly worth checking out.

Here's just a few from my collection:

COCKBURN,BRUCE: DANCING IN THE DRAGON’S JAWS
DOOBIE BROTHERS (NAUTILUS RECORDING): MINUTE BY MINUTE
LEWIS,HUEY AND THE NEWS: SPORTS
LITTLE RIVER BAND: SLEEPER CATCHER
LITTLE RIVER BAND: FIRST UNDER THE WIRE
MEN AT WORK: BUSINESS AS USUAL
OLD AND IN THE WAY: (SELF-TITLED)
RAITT,BONNIE: STREETLIGHTS
RAITT,BONNIE: GIVE IT UP
SADE: DIAMOND LIFE
SCAGGS, BOZ: SILK DEGREES
SUPERTRAMP: PARIS
WINWOOD,STEVE: ARC OF A DIVER

Apologies if some of these have already been mentioned. I did look but may have missed some. I really like the recording quality of most of these as well as the music. All of Sade's albums are recorded very, very well in my opinion and make for some ear candy to listen to. I'll try to add some more in time.
 
not sure what under rated means, but here are some:

Angel, self-titled, 1975.
The Stooges, 1969.
Tubes, 1975, especially side 2.
Lou Reed, Transformer, 1972
Bauhaus, In the Flat Field, 1980


isn't "classic rock" created from over exposure? is it a positive or a negative term?
 
has anybody checked how many of these 'under-rated' songs are actually in the Rolling Stones top 500 and/or went gold?
 
Steve Forbert, Jackrabbit Slim and Alive on arrival. Admittedly to say that Steve Forbert is classic rock might be a bit of a stretch. Still, good stuff just the same.

Cheers....................Todd
 
has anybody checked how many of these 'under-rated' songs are actually in the Rolling Stones top 500 and/or went gold?

I'm not sure how many of the postings classify as 'rock'...:scratch2:

But it is page 20...so thread drift is inevitable, I guess....
 
Here's just a few from my collection:

COCKBURN,BRUCE: DANCING IN THE DRAGON’S JAWS
DOOBIE BROTHERS (NAUTILUS RECORDING): MINUTE BY MINUTE
LEWIS,HUEY AND THE NEWS: SPORTS
LITTLE RIVER BAND: SLEEPER CATCHER
LITTLE RIVER BAND: FIRST UNDER THE WIRE
MEN AT WORK: BUSINESS AS USUAL
OLD AND IN THE WAY: (SELF-TITLED)
RAITT,BONNIE: STREETLIGHTS
RAITT,BONNIE: GIVE IT UP
SADE: DIAMOND LIFE
SCAGGS, BOZ: SILK DEGREES
SUPERTRAMP: PARIS
WINWOOD,STEVE: ARC OF A DIVER

Apologies if some of these have already been mentioned. I did look but may have missed some. I really like the recording quality of most of these as well as the music. All of Sade's albums are recorded very, very well in my opinion and make for some ear candy to listen to. I'll try to add some more in time.

Really? How many gold or platinum records are listed here?

Hardly underrated which is the topic here.
 
YES, Going for the One. Although Wonderous Stories and Going For The One got some air play I think the LP went largely unnoticed by non yes fans. The masterpiece of the album is the 15 minute song Awaken that is almost hypnotic in that you truly forget about time when your are listening to it. The album is full of great musicianship and musical composition. It's one of those true headphone albums.

going-for-the-one-yes.jpg
 
YES, Going for the One. Although Wonderous Stories and Going For The One got some air play I think the LP went largely unnoticed by non yes fans. The masterpiece of the album is the 15 minute song Awaken that is almost hypnotic in that you truly forget about time when your are listening to it. The album is full of great musicianship and musical composition. It's one of those true headphone albums.

going-for-the-one-yes.jpg

Awaken is the last truly great Yes song... Tormato was a good album, and I like it better as time goes by. But Going For The One is just fantastic and I agree that it is typically overlooked by many.
 
Can anybody turn me on to some great classic rock LP's that are underated and that you really like??
Thanks

Theophile and bobins08: Sorry that my list does not meet with your approval and your observations are received with regardful consideration.....that said, I was reflecting upon the first part of the OP's question and suggested not only albums that I felt were underrated but also that I thought were recorded very well and that he might like.

Incidentally, a quick review of the Rolling Stone's top 500 reveals that only one, Give It Up (how serendipitous given the "charges"), makes it at #495. You might want to check me on that as it was a quick review.

All things considered, I have found this thread most enlightening as I have seen albums mentioned that I haven't listened to for a long while and appreciate all the AKers who took the time to provide their thoughts.....I've had some "happy listening" moments that brightened my day.

Thanks again.
 
Back
Top Bottom