• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Carver amp question

kichijai

Well-Known Member
Which Carver amps are the Magnefied Current designs, as opposed to the old Magnetic Field? And is there a specific year when they switched over?
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't know the answer, but what is with that terminology? Did Bob C. go to marketing school? "Magnetic Field" does that mean Triac controlled power supply with inverted phase on one channel with commutators? I don't know but I'd be more impressed by that description rather than "Magnetic Field" supply. I don't know the answer to your question but the Sunfire stuff is guilty of that kind of word play too. just a long dorment vent:drunk:
 
I think it will say 'Magnetic Field Amplifier' on the piece itself, but I'm not sure how it corrolates to model numbers...
Cruise over to carveraudio.com, there's a forum there with folks who would know.
 
I have a Carver TFM-55 amplifier. What exactly is the difference between TFM-55 "Magnetic Field" power supply and "Magnified Current"?
Bob Carver definately uses extrodinay names for his inventions:
Sonic Hologram Generator
Asymmetrical Charge Coupled Detector
Spectral Tilt
Auto Correlator
Digital Time Lens
Transfer Function Calibrated
.....and so on.......
 
Which Carver amps are the Magnefied Current designs, as opposed to the old Magnetic Field? And is there a specific year when they switched over?

Pretty well with the A-Series amps (A 705x, A 806x, etc) from about 1996-97 onward. The bigger tfm's were all magnetic field, except tfm-25, which used a conventional transformer, even tho it said magnetic Field on the front faceplate.

These Magnified current stuff was all post Bob....
 
I don't know the answer, but what is with that terminology? Did Bob C. go to marketing school? "Magnetic Field" does that mean Triac controlled power supply with inverted phase on one channel with commutators? I don't know but I'd be more impressed by that description rather than "Magnetic Field" supply. I don't know the answer to your question but the Sunfire stuff is guilty of that kind of word play too. just a long dorment vent:drunk:

Bob is actually a physicist, not an engineer. I think the marketing stuff came naturally. He sure seemed to have fun with it back then.
Can't remember the last time someone in mainstream audio actually tried to have fun with the stuff they were selling....
 
Pretty well with the A-Series amps (A 705x, A 806x, etc) from about 1996-97 onward. The bigger tfm's were all magnetic field, except tfm-25, which used a conventional transformer, even tho it said magnetic Field on the front faceplate.

These Magnified current stuff was all post Bob....

Thats it! I also found it here..thanx.

"The similarity ends there. While the TFM-55 had what was called a "Magnetic Field Power Supply" [click here for photo], the A-760x has a new marketing term, called "Magnified Current". This allows the 760 to deliver either high voltage or high current, while the older Carver delivered only high voltage. "


http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_4_2/a760.html
 
Back
Top Bottom