Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html
Now & again if its say something really old with no bass in I watch like say Little House on the Prairie. My AVR 2310 has Dynamic EQ which seems to up the bass much more so guess this is the loudness button.
Nope, no tone controls either for many years with my main system. Out in the garage it varies on what is being used. I do use an EQ once in a while, mainly for CD sources to help tame redbricks
In my past, I have used variable loudness (Yamaha CR), I have used dynamic range expanders (3bx and 5bx) I have used equalizers (Audio Control C-101, dbx 15/10) and I have used subharmonic synthesizers (dbx 100 and forget the other model)
Many units have a tape loop system that allows you to bypass the above stuff if someone wants to get stuffy about it. It allows you to bring them back in the path if you want to mess around and have fun.
This hobby is about having fun and enjoying yourself not (in my opinion) breaking into a nervous sweat every time you try to count the shimmers of a cymbol....
I sometimes appreciate that I must have a tin ear. I just try to enjoy what I'm hearing and not let these other distractions bother me.
The EQ has been removed from my main system. I was only using it to shape the bass for my odd room, on rare occasions. If the bass needs adjustment I do it on the back of the sub.
Tone controls are used when needed, note that my pre-amp has no loudness control. An example is a nice album or CD that is a bit thin (lacking bass), or a bit shrill. IMW not all records are perfect, much less mastered perfectly. I probably listen with no tone control of any sort 95% of the time.
It depends on what I'm listening to—both music and hardware. My new Sony has a loudness button but the JVC in the living room doesn't. That said, I put it on when I'm listening to rock & roll and want the bass to thump a little more, especially at lower volume levels, but I leave it off when listening to classical or jazz.
Let's be honest here, loudness button switched on adds more oomph and realism. I have a dedicated music room, fully soundproofed with room treatments at 1st reflection points etc...speakers are 15" Tannoy HPD's...vintage Marantz and Sansui receivers from early to mid 70's used as pre-amps into a Prima Luna valve amp. Do I use tone controls?you betcha except at louder than usual listening levels in which case loudness button is off.
Perhaps the "contour" button on my 1958 TA230 is a sort of antique "loudness" button. However, I use that one regularly (at low volume mode) in connection with my 1959 Bang&Olufsen speakers.
In my experience the need for loudness at low levels varies with speaker efficiency. For some reason low-efficiency speakers still have "oomph" at low volume.