• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do you use the 'loudness' feature on your rcvr/amp?

do you use the loudness feature on your rcvr/amp?


  • Total voters
    73
  • Poll closed .
Only on the one system where it's a variable loudness (Nakamichi RE-1) which is more of a low-midrange reduction than any high- and/or low-end boost.

Pretty sure that none of my other systems have a loudness button, actually. Maybe one integrated amp that's on my spare shelf.

je
 
I got a new receiver (Superscope) and speakers (Dynaco) and I've been feeling the need to change the EQ settings for just about every song I've put on the last few days.... until I switched the "loud" button on.

Now I just set the EQ flat and everything sounds right. I imagine when I crank the volume the bass will cut through and I won't need it, but at casual listening volumes everything sounds thin and kinda piercing without it. I think it depends a good amount on which speakers you're using.
 
I use the "continuously variable loudness contour" on the CX-1000U driving a pair of MX-1000Us in the bedroom--for TV only, and then, only turning about 20% down, and then only sometimes, later at night. It allows the volume to be turned up to give the bass theatre-style gravity without the mids becoming tiresome and penetrating walls, as a courtesy to my sleeping disabled sister up the hall (set that way, even at substantial volume, no sound carries outside my door). No tonal controls otherwise. But daytime, no contour either.

In the living room, for music, I never use the contour at all for the two CX-1000Us driving four MX-1000Us, nor tone controls, using the line direct button. There, I set the volume level at the power amp for each pair of speakers each amp drives singly and that gets me the "flat", "neutral" or "transparent" tonal curve I want out of four large Magnepans and four JBL 4311s, with each pair driven by its own amp. There, I run the amps running the Magnepans about 3 o'clock, the amps running the JBLs one tick back from that at 2 o'clock, and the preamps both about 9 o'clock to 10 o'clock, with a Sansui 1000-A running a fifth pair of speakers at high noon. On it, I *do* use that "presence" button engaged and on the rare event I'm listening at lower volume, the loudness button engaged. The old Mach I's the Sansui runs seem rather tough to drive, but those buttons seem to get them right where they ought to be, bringing those 15-inch woofers to life with the horns singing.
 
On my main rig I don't have the ability and wouldn't If I did. On my vintage systems I do, but only when listening at low levels. I find that I don't care for the coloration of the bass on most receivers, with the loudness engaged. Exception being the Yamaha's that have the continuous loudness control. Yamaha got it right. sounds like your just turning down the volume but you don't loose the bass in relation to the rest of the audio frequencies. I'm actually in the bedroom right now listening to my Yamaha Cr-3020 with the loudness control engaged and it sounds great!
 
Ditto. don't have Loudness on my newer gear and only use it on vintage gear at low levels. On my Sony STR-7065 it is very subtle and actually, by design, goes out of circuit as the volume control is increased.
 
Sure do, I have a Sansui A-80 with variable loudness that allows me to deepen the bass in those old recordings from the 40s, 50s and 60s.
 
When I was a teen I used it when I lived at my parents' house as others have previously described.

Now I never use the loudness button and I almost always keep the tone controls flat.
I tweak the bass up one notch for movies & action shows and sometimes on classical or older jazz at low levels.

I'm rewatching The Sopranos entire series from HBO on demand.
On the "Got Myself a Gun" song I crank the volume past midnight with the bass cranked 1 click, mid at 2 & treble at 3.
Usually with the grills off and the dog freaking out :pawprint:
 
Yes all of my equipment has tone controls and a loudness button,and I almost always use it.I would not buy a piece without tone controls.
 
Not anymore. Used to. Tone controls too. I used to read others saying "you won't need them anymore when you're equipment gets good enough". I thought they were just being snobs.......turns out they were right.

Oh, but one very, very important detail. The most important, actually. The room has to have a favorable acoustic response. I got mine through extensive treatments and it made all the difference in the world.

- Michael
 
In regards to both "Loudness" and "Tone controls" (or any form of "EQ")

Don't use them, don't want them.......don't need them.
 
I don't have either Loudness or Tone Controlls on my Main Stereo Amp and have no wish too. I have both Loudness and Tone controlls on my 2'nd system and Tone controls on my AVR and use them as needed. The Loudness is a real help for low volume listening with my Smaller system, Just as it is supposed to, and the Treble controll backed off 4 db compensates for the Hard room. I also back the Bass off about 4 db with my AVR to reduce the Blotted Bass in my HT system.

I do believe there is a Ballancing Act between Transparency, and the use of Tone controlls, an EQ or Loudness controlls. If you have them and find they help, by all means. Nobody's going to punish you. Just be carefull when turning tone controlls up at high volumes, you can send the amp into clipping much sooner than normal. I'd back them off on those occasions, unless you can monitor for clipping with meters or lights.
 
Back
Top Bottom