• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite Bourbon

If the required “new” oak barrel for bourbon becomes a big factor. Makes sense to age longer this enabling the benefit of selling less juice for the same amounts. Say going from four year to say six, seven.
Changing the wood or reusing barrels this would no longer be a true Bourbon?
Yes, lots of what ifs here.....another problem with aging longer and raising prices is what happens when/if barrels are readily available and there is no longer a need to use 6 or 7 year old liquid in a bourbon only requiring 4 years......a marketing nightmare to reduce the aging but not lower the price back to what it was before., and distillers aren't in the habit of lowering prices....another consideration is that American oak is not required thus making it possible to get barrels from other types of oak in other countries.........I don't know the answer and your point is certainly viable as any.....oak is the wood required by law, but I know that some experimentation is being done with cherry and other woods....I would think anything other than oak would totally change the taste profile even if the law was changed to allow other woods.....no doubt there has been moves to plant more oak trees, but not an overnight solution....reusing the barrels would definitely change the flavor profile to a much lighter taste and color., not a desirable solution either.
 
'Buffalo Trace Distillery Is About to Double Its Whiskey Production — Here’s How'

"On Thursday, Kentucky distillery Buffalo Trace announced that its new stillhouse has been commissioned for test runs. A duplicate of Buffalo Trace’s existing still, the new still is 40 feet tall and capable of producing 60,000 gallons each day. With the addition, Buffalo Trace will be able to double its current production." Whiskey Raiders

cont. - Buffalo Trace Distillery Is About to Double Its Whiskey Production — Here’s How (msn.com)


 
I bought a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon Frontier Whiskey last time I was at Costco - they didn't have any Maker's. It's pretty good, maybe a little spicier than Maker's.
 
Recently had a family reunion in SW Virginia. I decided to take a trip across into KY and hit a couple of the local libation stores. Lucked out and snagged 5 bottles of Buffalo. They had Van Winkle 12 on the shelf for $800. People have gone plum loco…
 
Recently had a family reunion in SW Virginia. I decided to take a trip across into KY and hit a couple of the local libation stores. Lucked out and snagged 5 bottles of Buffalo. They had Van Winkle 12 on the shelf for $800. People have gone plum loco…
Started drinking R.I.P. 10/107 in the early 80’s when there would be dust on the bottles. IIRC it was $17 a fifth for the 10/107. Quit chasing after it now. Too crazy for me to enjoy. Plenty of others out there readily available.
 
Started drinking R.I.P. 10/107 in the early 80’s when there would be dust on the bottles. IIRC it was $17 a fifth for the 10/107. Quit chasing after it now. Too crazy for me to enjoy. Plenty of others out there readily available.
Yes. I have had the Van Winkle 12 and Pappy 15. It is good, but there are MANY more bourbons out there that are much better.
 
Yes. I have had the Van Winkle 12 and Pappy 15. It is good, but there are MANY more bourbons out there that are much better.


Pretty much now it is Maker Mark supplemented when a bottle of Weller falls thru the cracks. What I use to purchase just for those who wanted a mixer with their Bourbon. Not wanting someone to mix the 10/107!


Much like the audio hunt, good old days are gone in the Bourbon search for me.
 
Pretty much now it is Maker Mark supplemented when a bottle of Weller falls thru the cracks. What I use to purchase just for those who wanted a mixer with their Bourbon. Not wanting someone to mix the 10/107!


Much like the audio hunt, good old days are gone in the Bourbon search for me.
Four Roses-Single Barrel
1792- Small Batch
Bowman Brothers and John Bowman
Evan Williams Single Barrel if you can find it…
all very good sippers
 
Four Roses-Single Barrel
1792- Small Batch
Bowman Brothers and John Bowman
Evan Williams Single Barrel if you can find it…
all very good sippers
Gotten into a rut and buy it at Sam's and call it done.

A Wheat fan and it is hard to find one so go with one I like and know.

The Four Roses is OK just not my choice. 1792 is also nice along with the E Williams. I will get Old Fitz when at a bigger store.
 
Gotten into a rut and buy it at Sam's and call it done.

A Wheat fan and it is hard to find one so go with one I like and know.

The Four Roses is OK just not my choice. 1792 is also nice along with the E Williams. I will get Old Fitz when at a bigger store.
If you like wheated, have you tried Larceny Small Batch or 1792 Sweet Wheat?
 
I have and do enjoy them. My world has shrunk and driving to the big box store (hour) to buy a bottle or two when Maker's is at Sams for less the $40 for a big bottle.....
Since you said you prefer wheated bourbon, you might like Bernheims Original Wheat Whiskey...NOT a bourbon because corn is not the dominant grain in the mash bill, but a sipper with a heavy dose of wheat attributes that you seem to like...from Heaven Hill Distilleries and should be readily available though Sams might not carry it...price should be in the mid-40s' for a 750ml, so a higher price point than comparable Makers 750ml...another option, but not inexpensive.
 
Aside from the "is it really a bourbon" arguments, I've yet to find anything that I like better than this for the money.

1695477921007.png
 
Aside from the "is it really a bourbon" arguments, I've yet to find anything that I like better than this for the money.

View attachment 2992338
George Dickel meets all the requirements to be labelled bourbon and nowhere does it say if it undergoes charcoal filtration it can't be called bourbon...fact is the marketing gurus prefer it to be labelled Tennessee Whisky because it has a much bigger footprint in a relatively small Tennessee Whiskey category than it would in the bourbon category crowded with so many brands...the high corn mash bill ( about 80%) gives a softer sweeter taste and makes for a great sipping whisky.
 
Does anybody know of a good place to trade/sell bourbon you don't want? I have some rare bottles I would rather get money, records, or audio gear for than hold on to.
 
Back
Top Bottom