• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite Bourbon

Does anybody know of a good place to trade/sell bourbon you don't want? I have some rare bottles I would rather get money, records, or audio gear for than hold on to.
I’m not aware of any place formally, but there might be folks local to you with interest. Not sure if you can legally “sell”, but shouldn’t be an issue given the situation especially if you barter. Where are you located? My son in law is in a Bourbon club in MI. He or his buddies would be interested I’m sure. PM me if you’d like.
 
Does anybody know of a good place to trade/sell bourbon you don't want? I have some rare bottles I would rather get money, records, or audio gear for than hold on to.
I sold my high end bourbons through Skinner auction house in Boston. PM me if you want the contact info of the man who handled the auction. Very helpful throughout the process.
 
Old Forester 1910 is an excellent bourbon that won't break the bank. I prefer it to the 1920 which is a stronger 100 proofer.
 
I try any bourbons I can neat, but typically drink cocktails. It’s a waste to make Old Fashions with a high end bourbon. I usually use what I would call lower-mid bourbons ( based on price) like Makers, Old Forrester, & 4 Roses. I was recently gifted a bottle of Redemption Wheated bourbon which is nice by itself, but pretty much indistinguishable fromWild Turkey when mixed with 7up.
 
Out of curiosity, I bought a bottle of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Select a few days ago. I am damn impressed with it. It's tasty. I'm normally not a Jack drinker.
 
I'll agree with this statement.
Old Forester is a brand that has certainly withstood the test of time...if memory serves, it is the longest continuous bourbon in production, something like 150 years...along with Jim Beam, Old Grandad, Evan Williams, Ancient Age and Old Charter, all were affordable mid-tier brands for many years...Forester, Beam, and Evan are still popular while the others have fallen off the radar...as the drinkers of these old brands leave, they are not being replaced, so the volume falls and they no longer are a focus for the distillers...when the bourbon craze hit, distillers realized they could take the whiskey in barrel for these declining old brands, let it age longer, then bottle it either as a new brand or in an existing brand that generated more revenue...there are now several variations of Old Forester whereas for years there was only one, maybe two...for many years there was Charter 7, 8, 10, 12, and 13, age specific...those age specifics are gone now and Buffalo Trace is basically using Charter to experiment with aging in different types of oak other than American...lots of changes in the bourbon industry in the past few years!
 
One of my favorite lower price bourbons. Similar to Woodford Reserve Double Oak. You can spend more but really no need.
I'm not sure that OF 1910, with its MSRP of $55, qualifies as a "lower priced Bourbon." IMO, it lies at the upper end of mid-tier or even the lower end of higher price offerings.
 
I'm not sure that OF 1910, with its MSRP of $55, qualifies as a "lower priced Bourbon." IMO, it lies at the upper end of mid-tier or even the lower end of higher price offerings.
Depends on your ceiling I guess. Russell 10 year is what I'd call very good, at a low price of $28. I've personally spent $200 on some Garrison Bros Balmorhae but a friend of mine has $2,000 - $3,000 bottles of Pappy. I guess the wide spectrum of prices with bourbons makes it hard to distinguish low from mid tier.
 
Depends on your ceiling I guess. Russell 10 year is what I'd call very good, at a low price of $28. I've personally spent $200 on some Garrison Bros Balmorhae but a friend of mine has $2,000 - $3,000 bottles of Pappy. I guess the wide spectrum of prices with bourbons makes it hard to distinguish low from mid tier.
Dunno when you bought that RR10, but it goes for ~$40 nowadays and the RR Single Barrel (a personal favorite) is ~$65. In terms of "lower priced bourbon," the Old Forester offerings that would qualify IMO would be their regular 86 and 100 proof bottlings. I would consider all of their Whiskey Row series (1870, 1897, 1910, 1920) a step up into the mid price level and their Birthday Bourbon a high price offering.

I don't think I have ever spent more than ~$60 for a bottle of bourbon (though I routinely spend more for good single malts) as I find a diminishing return on investment past that price point. IMO, there simply isn't that much difference between good mid tier bourbon (Eagle Rare, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Four Roses Single Barrel or Small Batch, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, Rare Bird ...) and a lot of higher priced offerings. Indeed, there aren't many bourbons at any price point (particularly from boutique distilleries outside of Kentucky) that I like a lot more than Wild Turkey 101 (and don't get me started on Pappy).
 
and don't get me started on Pappy).
I'd never do it either. Again, we just have a different cutoff point for higher tier bourbon. Russell 10 is $38 here. I'd put it a notch above regular 4 Roses. Makers is also entry level. Buffalo Trace goes for $35 unless it's marked way up. For $35, I'd buy it all day. When it's marked up to $60 or more does that make it mid tier? Mid tier to me is $75 and above but I'm perfectly content to spend $55 on OF 1910.
 
417852581_10228302569783705_1610010816719637389_n.jpg
A new pour.

Rebel (Yell) Distiller’s Choice. 113 proof wheated Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.

No complaints here.
 
Back
Top Bottom