• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite Bourbon

Bulleit.....Although tonight it's JD...not my fave, but it was the best they had at the Gas station....

Cheers,



Bill
 
Jeebus, is it unleaded?

Hey man, I am finally out of the world of ABC/State owned stores and back to where a fella can get a bottle of booze when he wants one.....:banana:
Still I'd a rather had Bulleit or Makers Mark...this is working quite nicely though..:thmbsp:




Bill
 
Since the price of Bulleit blew up around here, Buffalo Trace has been my regular. No complaints.
 
107 proof. I guess you can also use it as rocket fuel. :)


It's surprisingly smooth, being as old as it is mellows the bite. When people try it they are taken aback not beliving it to be 107. I will not let anyone ruin it by mixing with coke and such. Ice yes may be a little water or shots but nothing else.
Spoils the drinker, everything else is harsh.
Had a roommate try and get by with drinking up some Rip and replace with G. Dickle while I was at work. Knew right away, man did that cost him, being that it was late Saturday night and the Liquor stores would be closed till Monday!


Never happen again , he left it in the freezer from then on.....



Barney
 
Isn't Bookers 127 proof? I don't have my bottle nearby, and I know it varies, but I think the last bottle I had was 127. It's pretty much straight from the barrel. The bottle of Bakers sitting beside me is 107.

Bookers is for those times when I really want to be reminded that I'm drinking.
 
Years ago when I lived In Central KY , Knew a few people who worked at the Makers Bottling plant. From time to time they would have milk jugs of cloudy Bourbon from the bottom of the barrels that should of been poured down the drain . (followed them home)
Straight out of the barrels , man it was tasty! No-way of telling what proof it was or how old but once you tasted it being cloudy didn't matter at all....



Barney
 
Years ago when I lived In Central KY , Knew a few people who worked at the Makers Bottling plant. From time to time they would have milk jugs of cloudy Bourbon from the bottom of the barrels that should of been poured down the drain . (followed them home)
Straight out of the barrels , man it was tasty! No-way of telling what proof it was or how old but once you tasted it being cloudy didn't matter at all....



Barney

I'm not saying that isn't true, but the Feds frown on that.

Wish I had some.
 
Well, I can't and won't doubt your memory, but Dickel is a pretty tradition-steeped distiller, and if they sell a 3 year old whisky (which sounds way too young to taste like much to me), I can't find any reference to it anywhere.

Ok, I admit going to the liquor store and asking. The owner denied it all. Looking at the price and the darkness of the Bourbons I think I slipped into The Twilight Zone. The 1.75l that I bought was ~$22. George Dickel sells for $30 at the same shop. Maybe what I bought was George Dickle. You know, like I bought Old McHenry one night in the 70s instead of Henry McKenna.

I plead insanity.
 
Ok, I admit going to the liquor store and asking. The owner denied it all. Looking at the price and the darkness of the Bourbons I think I slipped into The Twilight Zone. The 1.75l that I bought was ~$22. George Dickel sells for $30 at the same shop. Maybe what I bought was George Dickle. You know, like I bought Old McHenry one night in the 70s instead of Henry McKenna.

I plead insanity.

It could have been a 3 year old jar of Gherkin Pickles.
 
Speaking of rocket fuel...

I've experienced another "import" from kentucky that's a whole lot more clear than any of the above mentioned libations, that I'm absolutely certain would be a little too powerful for any old rocket! Just one very small sip and you instantly get warmer from head to toe. Another sip and you will likely find yourself waking up in unfamiliar surroundings with some articles of clothing where they hadn't aught to be.

I like the marketing of that Rip Van, and it sure seems worth a try if it can be found. Blanton's is great, but I think most really high-end bourbons have an identity crisis. Any American whiskey should be something that you can picture Clint Eastwood sipping in a saloon in an old western, not something the old land barron would have on his fine oak desk, beside some Cubans (which would be mighty tasty too, by the way.)

Finally running low on Blanton's. About time to try the next thing. What will it be? :scratch2:
 
Back
Top Bottom