• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite Bourbon

Never had a mint julep to date, but that should change this weekend thanks to all the mint growing in the garden. Of course, a julep requires Bourbon. I would imagine this would be the ideal spirit, but a whiskey might work.
I am not sure how much difference there is between a Scotch and a Bourbon however.

I love a mint julep in the summertime!
Just treated myself to about 40 of em this season.

I put some mint in the simple syrup overnight, then mix that with the bourbon, fresh mint leaves, and crushed ice. I don't like sweet cocktails, but this one is great.
 
Bookers tastes like diesel fuel - I can't believe anyone would enjoy sipping it.

Maker's Mark is overhyped and constantly gets voted down off its pedastal in tastings and reviews.

I say: spend your good money on good scotch. Bourbon is supposed to be simple. I'm a Jim Beam man!
 
Never acquired the peat taste, but I don't mind some of the Irish whiskies since they typically don't have the peat.

I agree 100%.

What's funny is that when I bought a bottle of Jamesons and had my wife try some, she thought it was Scotch at first. She said it was missing something though... :D

She basically only drinks Scotch and prefers Johnny Walker Black Label and Haig & Haig Dimple (what we call Pinch in the US).
 
Maker's Mark is overhyped and constantly gets voted down off its pedastal in tastings and reviews.

Tastes pretty damn good to me. I guess I'm just lacking in sophistication. :)

I say: spend your good money on good scotch. Bourbon is supposed to be simple. I'm a Jim Beam man!

Beam is pretty good, but keep your nasty 'ol Scotch. ;)

I think there are a number of good bourbons available. It would be really hard to say one is the "best."
 
Some would say my avatar is giving my real appearance too much credit! Bought a bottle of Bulleit today, it was that or Weller,and the Bulleit was $5 less- I needed that for beer!:D
 
Come on guys, this is personal taste. And if everyone liked the same thing the world would be a really dull place!

Bookers tastes like diesel fuel {just an opinion} - I can't believe anyone would enjoy sipping it. {A personal view}

Maker's Mark is over hyped {just an opinion again} and constantly gets voted down off its pedestal in tastings and reviews. {looking for a reference to prove this unfounded statement}

I say: spend your good money on good scotch {You have GOT TO BE KIDDING HERE ! ! ! }. Bourbon is supposed to be simple. I'm a Jim Beam man! {another opinion heard here}

My wife and I refer to Scotch as "Foot" since it tastes like mold. We also call Jim Beam "Dirt" since it tastes like dirt. {Opinions here}

So everyone gets an opinion. And each is different.

I just bought some Ezra Brooks today. First impression is not to my taste. I'll try again later.
 
Tastes pretty damn good to me. I guess I'm just lacking in sophistication. :)

Precisely! See, I think Maker's is pretty good too! It also costs $10 more per bottle than Beam, so I'll stick with Beam! :)

You just thought I was gonna say somthin' snobby because of the Operaman thing, admit it! :)
 
Tried the Bulleit last night-neat on the rocks- Very nice! And Grainger- I have to agree about the Ezra Brooks,though my 32 year old bottle might not be representative of todays version! ( I was thinking-that stuff was in the barrel when Neil Armstrong took that famous step!)
 
I have been fighting a bad cold/allergic reaction for several days. This morning (remember I'm retired!) I remembered a "relaxer" from spring semester 1968. We were studying for mid terms and a buddy stopped in saying, anyone have any Bourbon? He got a pewter pitcher of coffee from the cafeteria and loaded it with sugar and cream. Then came my Bourbon.

This morning it was good for the throat that was raw from days of coughing.

Any cheap Bourbon is fine.

Now the purists can beat me.
 
I started with Jim Beam, moved on to Maker's Mark, then to Knob Creek and finally Woodford Reserve. That is now my house bourbon. I also enjoy the Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 90 proof, but hard to come by a steady supply here in NYC.
The best bourbon I have tried has been the Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 year which is amazing stuff that goes for @ $85 a bottle here in NY. For something different try the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, 13 years old & 95.6 worth of smooth.:D
 
Considering the economic climate, maybe we should start a thread about the best budget bourbon. I'm going with Evan Williams Black, I can buy a 1.75 L bottle without breaking the bank!
 
Back
Top Bottom