• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite Bourbon

So what's the limit for "budget" anyhow? At 14 bucks for 750 ml, I'd still stick with Makers even on a student's budget.
 
Stopped at the LQ to get some gin, and noticed a couple bottles of 1792 in the clearance cart. $29.99 marked down to $14, so I grabbed one. After a couple of belts, I realized I should've bought the other 3 in the cart. Cork whiskey for $14.99? I'm in.
 
Considering the economic climate, maybe we should start a thread about the best budget bourbon. I'm going with Evan Williams Black, I can buy a 1.75 L bottle without breaking the bank!

And my all time favorite cheap Bourbon, Stillbrook. We called it still birth in college. Not politically correct, but then in 1969 that wasn't a word.
 
I started with Jim Beam, moved on to Maker's Mark, then to Knob Creek and finally Woodford Reserve. That is now my house bourbon. I also enjoy the Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 90 proof, but hard to come by a steady supply here in NYC.
The best bourbon I have tried has been the Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 year which is amazing stuff that goes for @ $85 a bottle here in NY. For something different try the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, 13 years old & 95.6 worth of smooth.:D

Will agree on the PVW 20 yr family reserve, have one open and 4 stowed away. If you get a chance, try the 12 year old "Lot B"...I think I may like it better than the twenty year!

Russellc
 
I didn't care for bourbon or scotch much, but I got into some nice scotch after reading CitizenGain's suggestion thread...

A friend brought some Knob Creek over, which was very good for sipping.

It's amazing how tastes change.
 
I started with Jim Beam, moved on to Maker's Mark, then to Knob Creek and finally Woodford Reserve. That is now my house bourbon. I also enjoy the Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 90 proof, but hard to come by a steady supply here in NYC.
The best bourbon I have tried has been the Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 year which is amazing stuff that goes for @ $85 a bottle here in NY. For something different try the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, 13 years old & 95.6 worth of smooth.:D
I can think of three places in NYC that could have it, two of them in The Village. I can't remember the names right now, but they're both blocks from where I work, so I'll look them up for you tomorrow.
 
I started with Jim Beam, moved on to Maker's Mark, then to Knob Creek and finally Woodford Reserve. That is now my house bourbon. I also enjoy the Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 90 proof, but hard to come by a steady supply here in NYC.
The best bourbon I have tried has been the Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 year which is amazing stuff that goes for @ $85 a bottle here in NY. For something different try the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, 13 years old & 95.6 worth of smooth.:D

Give the Old RIP VW 10 years asleep in the wood 107 proof a try,...:thmbsp::thmbsp:... I like it better then the 90 proof...:yes:




Barney
 
RussellC, Bogframe, & Oerets, you guys comprise some group of enablers!

Russ, the 12 year is on my to do list, I've heard good things about it. Appreciate the contributions to the thread, very insightful.

Bogframe, are you thinking about Warehouse liquors on Broadway, south of Astor Place? That's where I've gotten some Rip in the past, there is also a place in Red Hook, Brooklyn called LeNell's with a fantastic selection of Bourbon See Here: http://www.lenells.com/selections/whiskey.php Got to make it over there one night.

Oerets, I usually don't care for the high octane bourbons, but I will take your recommendation under advisement. I mean it is from Van Winkle! thanks for the advice guys! :thmbsp:
 
Exactly, I was just by there today, but didn't have time to go in...I get my champagne there every year. Huge selection of everything.
 
That's it Grainger!- Less of something that's drinkable with a bit more (water,ice, whatever)!
That's what I mean by bourbon for the recession! Now-if I can get a thread going for decent beer at less cost...
 
Finally found a bottle of George T. Stagg 2008 Release today (special order). Pre-paid for it, and I'll pick it up on Monday.

More details soon, including whether it's on the HazMat list or not.


:banana:
 
Finally found a bottle of George T. Stagg 2008 Release today (special order). Pre-paid for it, and I'll pick it up on Monday.

More details soon, including whether it's on the HazMat list or not.

:banana:

Bad news, good news, and more good news about my George T. Stagg.

Bad news: Went by and picked it up. It wasn't the 2008 release, but last year's instead (NOS) that had been way back in the warehouse. Bummer, because that probably meant that I've missed out on the 2008 release.

Good news: I've got a new bottle of the 2007 release!

pb050001eo8.jpg



More good news: One of my dealers called today, and he thinks they may be able to get me a 2008 in a week or two! :banana:
 
Tonight's tasting includes:

And the 12 Year Lot "B is definately da ****!:yes:

Russellc
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1882.jpg
    IMG_1882.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1883.jpg
    IMG_1883.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1884.jpg
    IMG_1884.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1885.jpg
    IMG_1885.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1886.jpg
    IMG_1886.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 23
Well, the previous postings include some fine looking Bourbon.

As I was gainfully employed as of Tuesday, I just might celebrate with some of the fine looking stuff shown.

Question, is it as dark as the pictures look? Must be rich.

And a mention of where I am finally getting back into construction, do you know what Y-12 is?
 
Well, the previous postings include some fine looking Bourbon.

As I was gainfully employed as of Tuesday, I just might celebrate with some of the fine looking stuff shown.

Question, is it as dark as the pictures look? Must be rich.

And a mention of where I am finally getting back into construction, do you know what Y-12 is?

If you are talking about the Staggs, yes it is dark...but it is unfiltered. what you see is just how it came out of the barrel, full proof. Generally, bourbon is then cut down to 90 proof or so further "lightening it" The Staggs is full flavored fire water, but the Pappy is way more refined. That said, these are ALL fine whiskey to be sure.''The Pappy 20 year almost has a red hue to it, and the flavors just keep coming. I really think the 12 year lot B bests it slightly. Again, we're talking minor degrees and differences, all of these are way fine to be sure.:yes:

Russellc
 
Back
Top Bottom