• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How do I add a second pair of speakers if...

Ollollo

Member
How do I add a second pair of speakers if I only have place for one pair at the back of the amp? Both pairs of speakers are rated 8 Ohms (identical Bose 901 Mk II:s).

Cheers!
 
Register to hide this ad
The only safe way is to connect them in series. Wire from + amp output to + on speaker #1, wire from - on speaker #1 to + on speaker #2, wire from - on speaker #2 to - on amp output.
 

Attachments

  • series-speaker-connection.jpg
    series-speaker-connection.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Thanks, Jim and yostie70!

I forgot to mention that i will stack the second pair onto the first pair, so I'll always be using both pairs at the same time. Seems like Jim's solution would work nicely for that arrangement. (I take it the illustration describes what to do for one channel. So I'll simply double that up and get both channels.)
 
I probably shouldn't have been so definitive in my first post.

You can also connect 2 pair of 8 ohm speakers to the amp in parallel, IF the amp can handle the 4 ohm load without overheating. Parallel will give the potential for more volume from 2 pair than from one (series won't), but it also puts a strain on the amp.

You can certainly try it, just run 2 pair of speaker wires in the normal way and watch for heat, or research what your amp is capable of. Pro amps are built for low impedance loads but many home amps really aren't.
 
Ok! I'm using a Behringer EP2500 rated at 2x450 W at 8 Ohms, so I take it parallel should be doable. But the speakers wont mind then? (I am completely clueless about these things...)
 
Back
Top Bottom