• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How do you pronounce "AUX"

I occasionally use both words, "Aux" and "Auxiliary". When I pronounce "AUX" it is the same as "OX". When I say Auxiliary, I tend to slack a bit: "ogziliary". I think our differences are fully explained due to regional dialectical differences, none of which can be more right than any other.

Another question on the same topic: Do you enunciate the "iliary"? Or does Auxiliary rhyme with artillery?
 
I occasionally use both words, "Aux" and "Auxiliary". When I pronounce "AUX" it is the same as "OX". When I say Auxiliary, I tend to slack a bit: "ogziliary". I think our differences are fully explained due to regional dialectical differences, none of which can be more right than any other.

Another question on the same topic: Do you enunciate the "iliary"? Or does Auxiliary rhyme with artillery?

As someone else pointed out, you pronounce the whole word, not the abbreviation. It's like pronouncing "Mr" as spelt rather than as "mister".

Auxiliary rhymes with artillery for me.
 
Never heard it called 'oh'. Makes sense that such a pronunciation might be more common among French speakers.

My first language was German so I call AUX ingetriebestellungspriggenblinkenlichteneinstellungsplatz.

Funniest post in a long time!!!!
 
We never did agree on Techneeks or TECHniks either. Then there was the commercial in Japanese where the guy said "Tech-oo-neeks" which was neither. I wonder what the engineers called the auxiliary inputs on their gear? "Techoonox" or "Techoonaux"?
 
You look at this knob everyday. I understand that AUX is short for auxiliary but most people refer to it as the abbreviation, AUX.
Do you pronounce it like "OX" or like "OH"?
I pronounce it...

auxiliary minus the iliary.:scratch2:
 
Not sure about "iliary", but AUX sounds like the name of a Kraftwerk album.

"Auuuux........ Illlllllliary.......... Auuuux...... Illlllllliary...."

:thmbsp: It certainly does.

R--adi-oooo. Au-x-illliary. (beep beep beep boop bop, bop boop beep beep).
 
So would the plural for "AUX" be oxen?

On a semi-related question, I've always wondered how to pronounce the "DAD" input on my early 80's Yamaha integrated amp and what it's really for.
 
So would the plural for "AUX" be oxen?

On a semi-related question, I've always wondered how to pronounce the "DAD" input on my early 80's Yamaha integrated amp and what it's really for.

DAD is pronounced pops. :yes:

At first glance I would guess "Digital Audio Device" as a catch all for DAT, CD, and whatever digital modes were coming on the scene at the time. :scratch2:
 
Back
Top Bottom