• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Lets See All Them Axes

You guys got some fine and fantastic guitars here!

Here are my three "axes".

100_0680_small.jpg



First is a Martin and Co. Sigma Classical, middle is a standard 6-string Silvertone from 196?, and the one on the far right is my pride and joy; a 4-string tenor guitar, quite rare and elusive. I enjoy playing the tenor guitar the most, but I do manage to pick on the others time to time.
 
Thanks! So are yours! I really like the black wrinkle painted one! Was that painted like that from the manufacturer? Is it a textured paint? :scratch2:

Actually that is a metallic black. If you are not familiar with Joe Satriani, he is associated with a custom 'chrome' version of that guitar. Ibanez has put out limited chrome versions in the past, but for the 'general consumption' Joe Satriani guitars, they settled on a metallic black.

Currently there is an automotive process that "tuners" use to chrome plastic car parts. This can be used on the guitar body to make your own chrome Joe Satriani guitar like this guy did. I have thought about doing it...maybe someday.
 
You guys got some fine and fantastic guitars here!

Here are my three "axes".


First is a Martin and Co. Sigma Classical, middle is a standard 6-string Silvertone from 196?, and the one on the far right is my pride and joy; a 4-string tenor guitar, quite rare and elusive. I enjoy playing the tenor guitar the most, but I do manage to pick on the others time to time.

Oh, yeah, I'd hop on that tenor in a second if I saw it for sale. Nice grab.

je
 
Nice! What effect(s) are you using?

The lead guitar cab had a SM57 on it and this went to a mixer where a rack mount stereo spring reverb was added. Also a digital delay is added and the return feed for the delay comes back through a separate channel on the mixer so that reverb can be added to the delays (otherwise only the initial attack has reverb on it and the delays wind up dry).

The amp is a Mesa Dual Rectifier Tremoverb that is 'tamed' with a Tom Scholts "Tone Soak" that sucks the treble from the Tremoverb making it more to my liking.
 

Attachments

  • tremoverb2.JPG
    tremoverb2.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 25
Duff, sorry to say I don't have a Jet at this time. Someday I hope to have one though but it's not in the cards any time soon! They are beautiful guitars though!
 
Here are a couple pictures of my new guitar. It's a 2004 Godin LG Humbucker model.
attachment.php


attachment.php


Here is my 2001 Seagull Artist Flame Maple CW.
attachment.php


attachment.php


The LG replaced this Godin SDxt.

attachment.php


I purchased all of these used on the local Craig's List. I liked the SDxt a lot, but the shorter scale, and wider fingerboard radius of the LG are easier for me to play now. I was just diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis, which made the index finger on my left hand stiff and swolen. The meds I now take have reduced the swelling, but the damage to the finger joints don't allow it to bend much. It sucks getting old...
 

Attachments

  • LG1a.jpg
    LG1a.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 372
  • LG2a.jpg
    LG2a.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 374
I like those Godins, haven't owned one yet. Thanks for the pics.

Here's what I was playing yesterday- a very pretty old Charvel, bird's-eye maple. When I'd first gotten a hold of it there was an X2N or Bill Lawrence blade-type p'up in it. Pretty sure what I left in there is an Ibanez (dark recesses of my brain is spitting out "Super 90", it's black with gold) without the switch hooked up. Pretty guitar, it lives with my friend Gus in NY. Sounded great through the Vox Cambridge 15 amp I gave him.

je
 

Attachments

  • charvel.jpg
    charvel.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 39
watermark.php



L-R

198? WFM Mitchell - MD..Only place I ever seen others was at Guitar Center...funny..none of the people there knows anything about them...Store brand?

1967 Baldwin 712 with 'Burns' design neck-fingerboard...very rare...

2004 Ibanez AF-75tbs(transparent blue).. Designed after the Gibson L-5ces.....My X-mas present to myself....plays like a million bucks...

1950 Harmony Master...Totaly refinished by me.....top part of the bridge was removed and a new one was fabricated using a pushrod from an old chevy smallblock...cut and made 'D'shaped to sit on the bottom half of the bridge... slots ground into it for the strings to sit in. The NUT is an actual piece of bone..taken from one of my dogs bones..(don't tell him...he still dont know!...)ground to size then slotted for the strings to rest. the frets were hand 'dressed' to eliminate any buzzes...action is great all the way up the neck...
 
That Baldwin is cool. Reminds me of the 12 string Fender Coronado. It is a full hollowbody right? (and the bridge is ... somewhere ... :) )
 
Merry Christmas to ChillWolf

Our own AK member Chillwolf called me one day from a Pawn Shop and said, "Is a J.B. Player Strat worth $XX?" I said that it was to me, but he might grow to hate the pseudo-Kahler bridge pretty quickly.

Well, he bought it & tore it apart, ordering new pickups, a nice marbled pickguard, an output jack and then stripped & painted the body in an interesting textured grey paint. Then I got to make friends with the Krappy Kahler. Lots of recent vision issues have really slowed me down with any kind of fine bench work, but it's at least playable now- Chillwolf's probably forgotten that he even owns the thing.

So, finally, here's a crappy pic of it- I'm sure more/better ones will follow. Aesthetics by Chillwolf, mechanical adjustments by me, electronics by both. It hums a bit (cheap pickups?), but it rips through the Marshall you see in the background.

je
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0265 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0265 (Large).JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 64
Thanks, John for taking the time and effort to tame that Kahler wannabe bridge. You're right, the pickups are cheapos picked up at that popular auction site. I just wanted to see if this axe was worth messing with before investing in a good set of pickups. The paint was called a hammered finish, I figured with the dents and dings in the body this would work well. Looking forward to hearing it Thurs. :music:
 
I had a '56 Black Beauty Custom and a reissue of that same guitar. Couldn't deal with the itty-bitty frets, and eventually sold them both. Pretty sure this pic is of the re-issue, in front of one of my old Altecs and a JBL-loaded side fill:

attachment.php

What year was your reissue? I had one and hated the frets but am still kicking myself for selling it. Where did you buy yours?
 
New guy here- glad to see some guitar geeks. Here are some of my toys. I put the original pick guard back on the Strat, but am looking for a replacement because it's pretty badly yellowed, since I almost never put it in the case. The bass is an old SD Curlee that's in progress, the Tele is an '07 Baja Player's club, the Strat is an '89 Strat Plus with LSR nut and tuners and the acoustic is an Ibanez AW-60 that I bought in about 1980. The Oahu is from the late '30s and I'll be re-capping it this winter, the Vibro Champ is a '66 and the Tweed Bassman is a '58 chassis in a reissue cabinet with RI speakers and all hardware that I bought in '79. Unfortunately, my evil, stupid twin sold my first good amp, which is a '55 Bassman. Same evil, stupid twin who sold the RI Les Paul Fretless Wonder RI.
 

Attachments

  • OAHU TOP CORNER VIEW.jpg
    OAHU TOP CORNER VIEW.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 22
  • SD Curlee before restoration.jpg
    SD Curlee before restoration.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Ibanez AW-60.jpg
    Ibanez AW-60.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 17
  • '66 BFVC Danelectro cab and '58 Bassman.jpg
    '66 BFVC Danelectro cab and '58 Bassman.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Fenders and Bassman.jpg
    Fenders and Bassman.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 44
Here are some other angles. The shot of the three guitars and amps is from the day the BF Twin Reverb, BF Super Reverb and Tweed Bassman tracks were recorded for the Tom Wheeler book 'The Soul Of Tone'. I hadn't "aged" the tweed on my amp at that point and it was awfully light, which just didn't sit well with me anymore.
 

Attachments

  • From Nikon Camera 011.jpg
    From Nikon Camera 011.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 35
  • OAHU INNARDS.jpg
    OAHU INNARDS.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 22
  • OAHU FRONT VIEW OF SPEAKER.jpg
    OAHU FRONT VIEW OF SPEAKER.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 19
What year was your reissue? I had one and hated the frets but am still kicking myself for selling it. Where did you buy yours?

I don't remember the year of my re-issue. I ended up selling it to pay the rent during a particularly bad stretch in the winter of '88-'89. I had gotten it in Buffalo, NY, I think, from a friend of a friend- I had picked up a tweed Peavey twin that shot sparks & smoke, I fixed that & added some Celestion Sidewinders that I had lying around. Traded that amp for an Ibanez Artist (shown earlier in this thread), then traded the Ibanez for the re-issue LP Custom. Total investment was likely somewhere around $150-$190.

The Custom sure was pretty, though.

je
 
Back
Top Bottom