• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Let's see your cans!

Just finished these tonight except for fresh ear pads. Not sure what to call them. Monolith M-1060C’s or Opened Up M-1060C’s.
  • 3-D printed fazors and grills
  • Dekoni pads
  • “Fuzor” treatment on outboard side
  • Flame and linseed oil headband finish
  • Full grain leather headband (DIY)
IMG_3282.jpegIMG_3281.jpeg
IMG_3280.jpeg

Gotta give a shout out to the Makerspace at Huntington Beach Public Library for the gratis coaching and 3-D printing and big scary industrial sewing machine.
 
Just finished these tonight except for fresh ear pads. Not sure what to call them. Monolith M-1060C’s or Opened Up M-1060C’s.
  • 3-D printed fazors and grills
  • Dekoni pads
  • “Fuzor” treatment on outboard side
  • Flame and linseed oil headband finish
  • Full grain leather headband (DIY)
View attachment 3562650View attachment 3562651
View attachment 3562652

Gotta give a shout out to the Makerspace at Huntington Beach Public Library for the gratis coaching and 3-D printing and big scary industrial sewing machine.
Great DIY just like I like them :thumbsup:

How do they sound? Regarding leather make sure not to wear them outside, they get real hot very quick! I have a few pairs in my collection that are absolutely unbearable be it in Maine, Staten Island, or south Texas. They sound great in generously air conditioned locales though. Like just now up here in Maine, it is incredibly hot at our summer home, boy am I glad I put in central AC last year. It's already 74 degrees outdoors and forecast is 95 this PM. Those of you who live in very humid environments will know that 95 degrees is untolerably hot so the street are empty by 11am here.) Guess I won't venture out with my Focal Celestee, genuine leather pads. Too bad, we planned a pontoon sceance for today. Still goimg but will jump in the lake every chance I get. Have a nice day :)
 
My main cans deserve some attention for sure. They have served me amazingly well over the past 15 years, which includes a lot or professional (e.g. harsh environment) use.
Plus I already bought them used..

A black tape 'upgrade' is the bare minimum after the earpads came off on 'their' last party I reckon. :beatnik::bigok:

On The Road Again.jpeg
 
Great DIY just like I like them :thumbsup:

How do they sound? Regarding leather make sure not to wear them outside, they get real hot very quick! I have a few pairs in my collection that are absolutely unbearable be it in Maine, Staten Island, or south Texas. They sound great in generously air conditioned locales though. Like just now up here in Maine, it is incredibly hot at our summer home, boy am I glad I put in central AC last year. It's already 74 degrees outdoors and forecast is 95 this PM. Those of you who live in very humid environments will know that 95 degrees is untolerably hot so the street are empty by 11am here.) Guess I won't venture out with my Focal Celestee, genuine leather pads. Too bad, we planned a pontoon sceance for today. Still goimg but will jump in the lake every chance I get. Have a nice day :)
Thanks! They sound more airy, cleaner. The details are a little bit more clear and tight. The bass is tighter. Hard to describe really. I’m enjoying them.
I got a picture of the Fazor when I put on a new set of Dekoni LCD style ear pads. The Choice Suede are their coolest.

IMG_3322.jpeg

Now that’s better.
IMG_3327.jpeg
 
My main cans deserve some attention for sure. They have served me amazingly well over the past 15 years, which includes a lot or professional (e.g. harsh environment) use.
Plus I already bought them used..

A black tape 'upgrade' is the bare minimum after the earpads came off on 'their' last party I reckon. :beatnik::bigok:

View attachment 3572065
Do you think you could find new pads for them. Not only do they need attention, a bit of love for your work sidekick would be welcome lol. What brand and model are they?
Thanks! They sound more airy, cleaner. The details are a little bit more clear and tight. The bass is tighter. Hard to describe really. I’m enjoying them.
I got a picture of the Fazor when I put on a new set of Dekoni LCD style ear pads. The Choice Suede are their coolest.

View attachment 3572653

Now that’s better.
View attachment 3572652
Ah Dekoni. I have a nice collection of their tiny boxes here, love them... for the most part. Sometimes the chemistry is just not there, happens with the best of 'em all, pads are a gamble. Your cans look great BTW.
 
Do you think you could find new pads for them. Not only do they need attention, a bit of love for your work sidekick would be welcome lol. What brand and model are they?

Ah Dekoni. I have a nice collection of their tiny boxes here, love them... for the most part. Sometimes the chemistry is just not there, happens with the best of 'em all, pads are a gamble. Your cans look great BTW.
They are nice little boxes, oh you meant the ear pads. Caught them on sale too!
 
Do you think you could find new pads for them. Not only do they need attention, a bit of love for your work sidekick would be welcome lol. What brand and model are they?

Ah Dekoni. I have a nice collection of their tiny boxes here, love them... for the most part. Sometimes the chemistry is just not there, happens with the best of 'em all, pads are a gamble. Your cans look great BTW.
The ‘work’ sidekick is well taken care of, no worries! :)

The cans are Sennheiser HD25, designed to take a beating and built so that faulty or worn parts can be easily replaced. So I actually have choice between a few earpad materials for my trusty workhorse.
 
Last edited:
They are nice little boxes, oh you meant the ear pads. Caught them on sale too!
Lol yeah I meant the pads. I don't really "collect" those boxes, just keep them at hand because they are solid and have that practical magnet cover that keep the tiny tools and parts I use to build speaker crossovers in the box and prevent spills when I drop one from time to time. They are also useful for housing watches, those I do collect, along with headphones.

Funny you mentioned tight bass, no phone allowed in my collection that doesn't have it tight and just a teeny weeny bit tucked under the mid-bass to prevent the detested "hollow hole" that totally muffles a phone or speaker's tonality. I usually build fourth-order Xover for the purpose of not having bass ventture where it is not welcome. You won't find many Senn phones here lol, but I have all the upper-tier Focal models and many Hifiman, these Chinese dudes really have the "golden ear" for tuning. Audeze and Dan Clark not bad either. Daily drivers here are the Hifiman Arya and Focal Clear OG. Arya doesn't look the part but well worth the nearly two grand price tag, it is the most transparent can I ever heard.

I'm curious about how one tunes a headpnone when their's only one driver to deal with ? I never got a clear answer to that question...
 
The ‘work’ sidekick is well taken care of, no worries! :)

The cans are Sennheiser HD25, designed to take a beating and built so that faulty or worn parts can be easily replaced. So I actually have choice between a few earpad materials for my trusty workhorse.
HD25, I have a set didn't and yet could not tell for your photos, thanks for clarifying. I lke the HD25 because it has airy bass that is not all over the place, unlike most Senns. IMHO of course.
 
HD25, I have a set didn't and yet could not tell for your photos, thanks for clarifying. I lke the HD25 because it has airy bass that is not all over the place, unlike most Senns. IMHO of course.
Agreed.
Next to agreeable sound qualiy, more than anything fit (so it seals properly on my ears) for concentrated listening in loud environments at an acceptable sound level is my main motivation for hanging on to these.
 
Agreed.
Next to agreeable sound qualiy, more than anything fit (so it seals properly on my ears) for concentrated listening in loud environments at an acceptable sound level is my main motivation for hanging on to these.
I'm sure you'll give them all the love they require for a second chance at life on your head :)

Now let me rephrase the first sentence on my post above. As it stands, it makes absolutely no sense. I wasn't drunk or high, just distracted as I was having a conversation with my wife at the same time, she wanted to know where I had put an old bug zapper my father had given us like 20 years ago. I had no idea where it was since I haven't zapped a bug in decades. Anyway this is what I had intended to write:

HD25, I have a set of those (from Made in Ireland vintage) and yet, I could not tell from your photos, they're so puffy !

THat's it.
 
Lol yeah I meant the pads. I don't really "collect" those boxes, just keep them at hand because they are solid and have that practical magnet cover that keep the tiny tools and parts I use to build speaker crossovers in the box and prevent spills when I drop one from time to time. They are also useful for housing watches, those I do collect, along with headphones.

Funny you mentioned tight bass, no phone allowed in my collection that doesn't have it tight and just a teeny weeny bit tucked under the mid-bass to prevent the detested "hollow hole" that totally muffles a phone or speaker's tonality. I usually build fourth-order Xover for the purpose of not having bass ventture where it is not welcome. You won't find many Senn phones here lol, but I have all the upper-tier Focal models and many Hifiman, these Chinese dudes really have the "golden ear" for tuning. Audeze and Dan Clark not bad either. Daily drivers here are the Hifiman Arya and Focal Clear OG. Arya doesn't look the part but well worth the nearly two grand price tag, it is the most transparent can I ever heard.

I'm curious about how one tunes a headpnone when their's only one driver to deal with ? I never got a clear answer to that question...
In my very limited (all planers) experience it's handling the back wave correctly. Limiting reflexions, baffle leakage and damping. It’s easy to overdamp.
 
In my very limited (all planers) experience it's handling the back wave correctly. Limiting reflexions, baffle leakage and damping. It’s easy to overdamp.
I think you're right, overdamping is an issue I've encountered on several occasions. Correcting this is problematic since there is no chart to follow like on speaker crossovers. I mean if you know your calculations are right and your speaker still sounds a bit muffled, you know who the culprit is. Pull some out until it sounds right at any given volume level.

With phones there is probably also timing to contend with, so that the first and second LF wave exit the cup at the exact same time and in phase, just leaving all the space for an unhindered, lush yet tight bass... as long as there's some sort of vent or at least a perforated "leather" pads to relieve the negative pressure building up from air being sucked out of the ear canal (airplane effect) coupled with fluctuating air pressure in the cup itself. That's if I understood the French guy's explanation. He is the head of Focal for the US and was being interviewed by one of the reviewers at headphones.com (iirc). Unfortunately, like many European engineers tend to, he was addressing the audience as if we were all scientists. Add to that the French already have a tendency to overengineer everything, you get a not really layman-friendly picture.
 
I recently resurrected a vintage pair of Yamaha Orthodynamic HP-2's. These were given to me about 40 years ago by a co-worker Declared them broken and asked if I wanted them. I said yes. It turned out that the cord was shorted where the molded 1/4" jack was attached so I replaced the jack and they were good to go. I hadn't used them much because at the time I wanted a more isolating headphone and had few pairs of Koss Pro 4AA's I had picked up and I preferred the isolation. There was a stretch where I wasn't listening to the stereo and my gear was languishing. Over the past few years I have been getting back into it and the Koss's seemed to have gained about 5lbs! I forgot how heavy they were. I found the Yamahas in a box so I dug them out. The ear cushions were shot and falling apart and the flexible part of the headband had deteriorated severely. The vinyl plastic support for the sueded fabric had become brittle and was in pieces.

The ear cushions were replaced with a pair of Sony cushions that were the same size. Two sided tape holds them in place. The headband was a little more complicated. I wanted to replace it with something that looked and performed the same. I was able to carefully separate the fabric from the vinyl support material and carefully taped the pieces of the brittle support together. I purchased a heavy black vinyl report cover from a stationary store that was the same thickness, stiffness, and texture of the original. I placed the taped together support onto the report cover and traced it. I then carefully cut out a new support in one piece and contact cemented the original sueded fabric to it and then reassembled the newly constructed piece to the metal headphone band.

They now look and perform great and sound terrific! They go very nicely with my Marantz receiver and Benjamin/Elac turntable. I love vintage.
 

Attachments

  • 20251002_194136.jpg
    20251002_194136.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20251002_194159.jpg
    20251002_194159.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom