• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Let's see your cans!

My collection of mostly vintage headphones:
DSC09914.jpeg

Top from left to right: Sennheiser HD6XX, Yamaha YH-1, Senn HD420, Fostex T-10, Vector Scan VSH5, AKG Sextett
Middle: NAD 3020 (original version)
Bottom: Realistic Pro 30 and Echo N16-40S
 
View attachment 3464633
HiFiman Edition XS. Lovely detail. I use the vintage Onkyo to listen to albums upstairs occasionally with them and in my office they get powered by an Emotiva A2m which pumps 60 watts to the jack. I've never heard headphones backed by this much power before. It is nice.
I have no doubt it is very nice. I have the Edition XS in my collection and it's one of my favorite sets despite my having units that cost 5 or 6 times as much. Currently my daily driver is the Arya Organic but that otherwise stellar phone is not suited for certain types of music. in which case I reach for the Focal Clear or the XS, depending on which one is closest to me.

BTW love your Onkyo, I'm sure you take good care of it :)
 
My collection of mostly vintage headphones:
DSC09914.jpeg

Top from left to right: Sennheiser HD6XX, Yamaha YH-1, Senn HD420, Fostex T-10, Vector Scan VSH5, AKG Sextett
Middle: NAD 3020 (original version)
Bottom: Realistic Pro 30 and Echo N16-40S
I have that amp as well but it's in dire need of servicing so it's heading for the shop tomorrow. The tech I deal with is retired but still occasionally works on some units as long as they're NAD,'s for which he seems to have an endless number of parts so I guess that explains it. He does this purely as a hobby and he only works for NAD owners he knows, won't take carrier boxed jobs for strangers. We're lucky to live near his home.
 
love your Onkyo, I'm sure you take good care of it
Thanks. I actually just bought it from a place in Oregon for a great price with free shipping! I gave it the Deoxit treatment, a LOT of cleaning and new LEDs. She's been a gem and sounds fantastic. I've been using it exclusively in my living room for all of my music and I have even added my Wiim Ultra setup which includes my TV. These are an absolute steal in vintage HiFi.
 
Thanks. I actually just bought it from a place in Oregon for a great price with free shipping! I gave it the Deoxit treatment, a LOT of cleaning and new LEDs. She's been a gem and sounds fantastic. I've been using it exclusively in my living room for all of my music and I have even added my Wiim Ultra setup which includes my TV. These are an absolute steal in vintage HiFi.
Good to hear it works out to your liking. Vintage is a gamble and it's cool to happen on a winner.
 
1743475164-picsay.jpg
Soundcore Q20i Been serving me well for about two years now. Yes, they're on top of a Target bag and no, I did NOT buy them at Target.

BT, noise cancelling. Great sound!

Had to correct the model number. Hence the edit.
 
Last edited:
So, it's been a pretty tough few years, and I wouldn't have considered these due to the price, but after reading and watching about how these compare against some of the main manufacturers £2k and 3k headsets, I just couldn't get past what incredible value they seem to be and quite frankly I wanted to treat myself!

Watched a butt tonne of reviews, everything I saw just drew me more and more to the ethos of the company. The owner, Zack, is an enthusiast that used to mod his own headphones, and just wanted to see what he could do designing his own. His wife is a co-owner.

And quite frankly, these, the ZMF Bokeh Closed are a bit of a disruptor in the industry, they've got all the big boys running scared because of the insane levels of performance these are able to put out at the budget.

I initially went for the SJY Horizon Carbon Closed which are a planar option that are similarly making waves, but I had issues with Opos in the US where I bought them just not responding to anything, even when I cancelled I had to get PayPal involved. Reviews seemed to back up that they weren't very reliable from a support perspective, so I totally backed out of that option. Plus the SJY are only 90dB and I wanted something a bit more versatile.

So jumped on the Bokeh Closed from a UK authorised reseller. These can pretty much be driven on anything at 103dB at 80ohms

Even out of the box they really surprised me. As recommended I'm playing them fairly low volumes during break in (they recommend around 150 hours), and even then, the physical impression they give is DRAMATIC, it adds such a huge depth to the experience that quite frankly I've never experienced through a headphone before. And even though they're classed as quite dark in the top end, you don't lose any detail, I was really surprised how detailed they remain despite the performance in other areas, I genuinely thought dynamic drivers weren't capable of this kind of performance. Mids are quite frankly to die for IMHO. Build quality really is quite stunning, mine were a bit "plainer" visually than some models, but them's the breaks with something handmade like this from natural wood, and I totally accept that, but the attention to detail, the materials and the comfort just makes me respect what they've done here even more. Plus it's a lifetime warranty on the drivers (to the original owner, so be aware if you're looking second hand), and whenever a company is willing to put their stamp like that, I take notice.

I'm driving them currently from the headphone amp on my PrimaLuna Evo 100 Integrated which is actually from the Tube output, not any opamp section, sounds incredible. I do have a Topping A90D which I will try them on a balanced cable as well.

I'm a bit blown away, I've never really heard a true high end pair before, and it's left me a little speechless. These won't replace my Hifiman Edition XS which I still love, they still have a place, but these will definitely become my daily driver when I'm on headphones.

Shout out to Acorn Audio in the UK, absolutely stellar service (they have models in stock, so no need to wait for them to be manufactured), and they've already shown first class support from some questions I had for them.

It's so good to see these new efforts coming from enthusiasts, it's really shaking things up in the industry which I think had become perhaps a little too comfortable

IMG_1011.JPEG
 
Well, curiosity killed the cat. Liked the 770’s but went and swapped them for the 990’s and man I’m glad I did!

View attachment 3542941
The cat survived then. Glad you prefer the new ones. :)

Reminds me when I was considering swapping my somewhat lackluster Hifiman Ananda for the highly praised Arya which cost $1,400 at the time, so $500 more than the Ananda. The Ananda didn't sound bad but it had a shy bass more suited to elevator music, a style I don't really care for. Finally polled the trigger on the Arya and man was it ever a gigantic step up the audio ladder. The Arya was vastly superior to the Aananda in every aspect. Never looked back!
 
The cat survived then. Glad you prefer the new ones. :)

Reminds me when I was considering swapping my somewhat lackluster Hifiman Ananda for the highly praised Arya which cost $1,400 at the time, so $500 more than the Ananda. The Ananda didn't sound bad but it had a shy bass more suited to elevator music, a style I don't really care for. Finally polled the trigger on the Arya and man was it ever a gigantic step up the audio ladder. The Arya was vastly superior to the Aananda in every aspect. Never looked back!
The cat did indeed survive this time. Exact same thing you’re describing with yours as with mine. The 770’s were nice, they just lacked mainly in the soundstage. Which isn’t surprising being the 770’s are closed back. The low end also seems cleaned up and compliments the highs.
 
Back
Top Bottom