• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Let's see your cans!

These things are soooo good with the Ultra Thick pads!

lF4pWbM.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Well I have a pair of Stax Lambdas, a Pair of Stax cheaper electret headphones, a pair of Signet light weight electro statics. Then comes the two Sennnheisers, 598 and 650. My ESP-9 and Pro4 AAA finally quit along time ago and have gone to headphone heaven. I prefer to listen to sealed closed headphones, but I sweat to much to wear them continuously. So I just use them briefly when making live recordings or when dubbing Tapes, records or CD's to CD today. When I had cassette machines I used the headphones more often to make sure everything was balanced properly while making tapes for friends. . For casual listening I use the 598 mostly as the 650's can be bit bright as are the Stax. But you need that clarity to be able to monitor details when making Tapes or CD's.

When I listen to head phones it as if the sound is from one ear to the other going cross the top of my head rather than in front of me. So I never got hooked on the headphone listening experience. But as for making recordings you can easily hear when every instrument is placed properly from the left to right across the top of your head. You can hear mono directly top of your head, or when you have a hole in the middle. I hate piano recordings where the sound spreads all the way from one speaker to another or from one ear to the other when wearing headphones.

When I heard my first great pair of Mcintosh XR 290 line array speakers there was all that clarity of my electrostatic head phones but with the sound in front of me. They were always to large for me. But I have a pair of XRT 28's with the improved the midranges that I really love. But as I say sometimes they can be to revealing. Only headphone listeners with great cans can appreciate what mean. Normal folks with point source and smaller horn speakers have no clue as to what I mean. Most people with most speakers think I am crazy when I say that.
 
1) For when I don't want to bother anyone else while listening, Sony WH-H900N:
a04a1a1b235db15cb7882ee5cd532e49

2) For when no one is around to be bothered, the Sennheiser 560S:
shopping


The Sony's were a Christmas gift to my daughter a few years back. She's recently picked up a pair of Audio Technica ath-m50xBT2, so she gave me the Sony's, which were in need of a bit of repair. Got them working again, and they sound quite good while supporting the newer Bluetooth codecs. Unfortunately, they sound like @ss when using them wired since the sound is actively EQ'd internally.

The 560S's are new, just got them about a month ago. Very different from the Sony headphones: closed back Sony versus the open back Sennheiser. A lot to like about both of these cans, though.
 
I wanted something that was a step up from my Koss KPH40s for the office. WOW - these HD-599's are simply amazing for the price! As much as I love my HD-600s, it's nice to have a V shaped response that doesn't hurt my ears.

View attachment 3436645

Sennheiser HD-599s sound very good, indeed. They are also extremely comfortable for long listening sessions. The ones I have are kind of a pearlescent white with brown pads and band. Yours look much nicer, IMO. Very classy. Congrats!
 
Back
Top Bottom