• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

local weed growing discussions

Plenty of people keep their seeds in the freezer without issues. Mine seem to do better in the fridge.
That's a new one on me. Some of the seeds I planted I got from a buddy 4 years ago. I wasn't sure if they were good anymore but 5 out of 6 planted have popped. I'm wondering if seeds can get to old to germinate, not these apparently. ;)
 
Got a good start on this years garden. I'm gonna have to start giving more away to friends. Last year I got a pound and haven't gone through a quarter of it. This year will be better now that I had last year to get used to my new garden area. I'm not a big smoker but enjoy the hell out of growing it. ;)
 
Got a good start on this years garden. I'm gonna have to start giving more away to friends. Last year I got a pound and haven't gone through a quarter of it. This year will be better now that I had last year to get used to my new garden area. I'm not a big smoker but enjoy the hell out of growing it. ;)

Sure wish I could get in on that. Both the "being a friend" and the growing. :beerchug:

I was a huge gardener for the last 10 years of the tomato/pepper variety, and found that pleasurable beyond measure. I'm sure cannabis is no different.
 
Sure wish I could get in on that. Both the "being a friend" and the growing. :beerchug:

I was a huge gardener for the last 10 years of the tomato/pepper variety, and found that pleasurable beyond measure. I'm sure cannabis is no different.
The funny thing is I don't get the same satisfaction from growing corn or tomatoes. ;) Last years crop was interesting, got a clone from a neighbour (pic of me beside it in this thread) that looked like a huge bush, thought it was going to be great, got a 1/4 lb from that plant and it's almost unsmokable (tastes like crap and won't stay lit even though it's plenty dry). Going to make oil out of it when I do another batch. The best plant I had was this tall scrawny lookin' thing that I nicknamed string bean, it turned out to be very nice, trying to grow another one or two of those this year. The other one that turned out very good was this little one that didn't get to be two feet tall but it was very round and bushy (I named it Gnome) and looked like a small Christmas tree. When I cropped out I keep all the plants in seperate containers so I know what's what.

Tim. I know Kentucky is a looong ways away from me but if you're ever up this way I'd be glad to hook you up friend. :)
 
"Honey......get your passport!" LMAO !!!

Honestly, I really want to go to Canada. Especially the Green Triangle area.

And as for my tomatoes and such, yeah, I have done a little guerilla growing, and my results were similar. In 2007, I had one that looked pitiful, but the last 2 weeks, it got fat as could be, and was, to this day, some of the best I've ever had. Tomatoes, of course. :no:

Ahh, man. C'mon Mitch, the writing is on the damned wall!
One thing that kinda baffles me, is when I started growing outside 3 or 4 years ago I got all my seeds from a buddy who's been growing for years, and yet I have all these different kinds of plants. I have one I named Plum Crazy (after that famous Mopar paint colour) because a lot of the leaves had a real purple tinge to them. Not sure how I ended up with such a variety of plants from the first batch of seeds but I'm glad I have a choice from day to day. Been smoking a fair bit of String Bean lately in hopes of finding a few more seeds to put in dirt. Even my total pothead buddy thinks it's fine weed, me, I'm an amateur but I like it. :)
 
Question for the group: Am I seeing early signs of distress here?

I germinated about 3 weeks ago then planted in 4" containers to start. Containers have drain holes. Soil is supposedly good (420 is the name) potting mix. Might've seen a bit too much water early but I've adjusted. Not soupy wet, never.

One thought is the genes may be favorable to hydro and not our California coastal sun.

EAE451CB-FCE8-4504-A4BD-C33EFFC4AED5.jpeg
 
Question for the group: Am I seeing early signs of distress here?

I germinated about 3 weeks ago then planted in 4" containers to start. Containers have drain holes. Soil is supposedly good (420 is the name) potting mix. Might've seen a bit too much water early but I've adjusted. Not soupy wet, never.

One thought is the genes may be favorable to hydro and not our California coastal sun.

View attachment 1854387

Nothing looks terribly wrong. Maybe a slight (N) deficiency. Try a tablespoon of worm castings on top to see if they green up some.
 
I've had a lot of worse looking seedlings grow up to be great. ;)
bolstering my hope
Try a tablespoon of worm castings on top to see if they green up some.
Good idea

Doing a lot of experimentation but in the end I’ll be happy with 3 healthy females which I’ll grow in fabric 5-10 gal pots. Any more can go in ground throughout the garden and in veggie box.

E3A7A183-9052-4D96-8711-ADF444D7BA3C.jpeg 36F0F4BF-202E-42CF-9FEE-9962499C8332.jpeg
 
Last edited:
bolstering my hope

Good idea

Doing a lot of experimentation but in the end I’ll be happy with 3 healthy females which I’ll grow in fabric 5-10 gal pots. Any more can go in ground throughout the garden and in veggie box.

View attachment 1855409 View attachment 1855410 View attachment 1855411
Do you have a limit of how many you're allowed to grow in Cali like we do here in Canada? We're allowed 4 plants here, it doesn't matter if they're seedlings, male, female, 4 is it. I don't really give a damn about the laws here though, I've been an outlaw for years. ;)
 
Do you have a limit of how many you're allowed to grow in Cali like we do here in Canada? We're allowed 4 plants here, it doesn't matter if they're seedlings, male, female, 4 is it. I don't really give a damn about the laws here though, I've been an outlaw for years. ;)
Oh that explains the hovering helicopter!

I believe the limit is 20 outdoor 75 indoor for medical and 6 for everybody else.

Although I didn't set out to get away with breaking laws, the sorry fact is in this city the police have a hard time enforcing even the most serious of crime.

Until I get 6 viable plants, guess I'm a sovereign rule breaker.
 
Oh that explains the hovering helicopter!

I believe the limit is 20 outdoor 75 indoor for medical and 6 for everybody else.

Although I didn't set out to get away with breaking laws, the sorry fact is in this city the police have a hard time enforcing even the most serious of crime.

Until I get 6 viable plants, guess I'm a sovereign rule breaker.
I've got about 18 seedlings on the go, time will tell how many will be usable. Last year I had about 6 or 7.
 
bolstering my hope

Good idea

Doing a lot of experimentation but in the end I’ll be happy with 3 healthy females which I’ll grow in fabric 5-10 gal pots. Any more can go in ground throughout the garden and in veggie box.

View attachment 1855410 View attachment 1855411

Looks good! That reminds me, I need to get some Marigolds for my little garden. The last couple weeks of intense SoCal sunshine has given mine a big boost. I'll have to get some pics up one of these days...
 
Another cultivation question: Will I get enough growth to sex the plants in 4" pots?

If I had a bunch of 1 gals and soil to fill and I'd transfer at this point. I do have the option of everything going into the veggie box until gender ID although I might get some neighboring root tangle.
 
Another cultivation question: Will I get enough growth to sex the plants in 4" pots?

If I had a bunch of 1 gals and soil to fill and I'd transfer at this point. I do have the option of everything going into the veggie box until gender ID although I might get some neighboring root tangle.


No way to tell. Some plants show early, some don't. In my last batch of 12 plants I was able to pull 2 males and ID 6 females in 6" pots, but the other 4 were in 3G pots and 2 weeks into 12/12 before they started showing. 1 female 3 males. Cannabis uses light period as a flowering stimulus. Growing them young in a shorter day might show things earlier than they would for me running them under 18/6 light period.

As far as the up-potting, no idea. I've never grown outside. Not a lot of people do it in pots, most use a heavily amended hole in the ground. I know people have and do do it, probably digging through the cannabis forums and tomato gardening sites to find a few threads on it would be the best help. I've never mixed different varieties of plants either.

I'm not aware of any specific pro/con hydro genetics.

Try googling marijuana-deficiency-chart-jorge-cervantes.jpg



One thing that kinda baffles me, is when I started growing outside 3 or 4 years ago I got all my seeds from a buddy who's been growing for years, and yet I have all these different kinds of plants. I have one I named Plum Crazy (after that famous Mopar paint colour) because a lot of the leaves had a real purple tinge to them. Not sure how I ended up with such a variety of plants from the first batch of seeds but I'm glad I have a choice from day to day. Been smoking a fair bit of String Bean lately in hopes of finding a few more seeds to put in dirt. Even my total pothead buddy thinks it's fine weed, me, I'm an amateur but I like it. :)

When you grow a landrace, or heirloom seed, you are dealing with a limited genetic pool. That tends to lead to conformity. When you take different strains and breed them together you introduce new genetics and you end up with variations. When you take those expanded genetic hybrids and breed them with another strain you add even more variation. Breed them with another hybrid you get even more variations. And so on and so on and so on.
Or maybe he just had a variety of seeds and gave you different strains.
 
Last edited:
Another cultivation question: Will I get enough growth to sex the plants in 4" pots?

If I had a bunch of 1 gals and soil to fill and I'd transfer at this point. I do have the option of everything going into the veggie box until gender ID although I might get some neighboring root tangle.

I've been buying feminized seeds these last three years, so far they've all been females.

I'd just re-pot to the next size up in your situation. One gallon is fine.

I'm liking the idea of using cloth pots for the final vegging and budding. From what I've gathered they are less stressful on the root system, i.e. heat and air flow.

Regarding potting soil, I'm using Kelloggs Patio Plus - Organic from Home Despot with an organic fertilizer and worm castings. Be careful with fertilizing, a good rule of thumb is to use half the recommended dosage.

My two sisters ran a gardening business here in soCal for years and they swore by Sunset Magazine's Western Garden Book for basic information. It was their 'bible' so to speak.
 
Back
Top Bottom